Author Topic: Skydive aircraft stall spin...aaagh  (Read 4132 times)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
Re: Skydive aircraft stall spin...aaagh
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 12:35:05 PM »
During the exterior shots, none of the controls were set for spin recovery but rather the perfect setup to extend the spin event.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 01:45:16 PM »
Just watched this again...the pilot sucks.  He can't blame this on CG change, drag from floaters, etc.  As soon as the rear floater (the camera guy) climbs out the airplane starts rolling right.  He was just way too friggen slow.

Stupid pilots suck.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline The Jekyll

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 02:02:17 PM »
I remember a jump where we were at around 300 AGL and out of runway when he left engine caught fire. The jump door was open and the flames were rolling right by. Too low to jump and no warning gave us a scary few minutes. Thankfully we made it back to the runway with the good engine after the pilot went through extinguishing procedures. I was seriously considering taking my chances at 300 AGL and hope I had some lift in the canopy before impact!
Yea, simply because I can

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 02:03:10 PM »
The 152 in game recovers better from that flat spin if you pull up instead of pushing down.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 03:07:37 PM »
That guy needs to stick to computer flying.  That will prevent him from killing anyone. 

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 03:32:31 PM »
The 152 in game recovers better from that flat spin if you pull up instead of pushing down.
I once actually spun a 152 from 10k to 4k, actually not once but four or five times, once inverted. Oh wait we're talking Ta 152 are we, not Cessna 152.  :uhoh

Maybe that flight model needs changing!

Offline Sonicblu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 07:02:25 PM »

They all looked calm to me. It might have started on accident but looks like they continued it for awhile on purpose. But what do I know.  :joystick: :joystick: :joystick: :airplane:

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 09:50:22 PM »
Cool video aside from the fruity euro-disco music.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2011, 09:57:29 PM »
I agree the pilots looked in control the entire time. It was stupid, but I dont think at any point they lost control.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2011, 10:33:31 PM »
I agree the pilots looked in control the entire time. It was stupid, but I dont think at any point they lost control.

If the spin while jumpers were climbing out was intentional he should have his ticket yanked -- real good way to kill people as they exit a spinning aircraft.  If it wasn't intentional he lost control.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2011, 10:35:17 PM »
I didnt even think of the jumpers getting whacked.

I agree, if it was intentional he should have his ticket yanked.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2011, 11:48:41 PM »
I don't want to be defending or accusing the pilots after only watching the video. Perhaps the spin was planned? Sure it's not the safest idea but it's possible that the jumpers requested it for some reason.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2011, 12:17:18 AM »
I don't want to be defending or accusing the pilots after only watching the video. Perhaps the spin was planned? Sure it's not the safest idea but it's possible that the jumpers requested it for some reason.

Really?  Because the "jumpers requested it"?  I've had jumpers request that I climb through an overcast, drop them through an overcast, fly when winds were outside limits, put an "extra" jumper onboard, etc.  As PIC you make ALL decisions regarding safety of flight regardless who might "request" something.
Columbo

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2011, 12:21:36 AM »
If you watch the vid all the way through the "credits" at the end say the pilot was given additional training in spin recognition/recovery.  Sounds like it was not intentional.
Columbo

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2011, 01:15:17 AM »

If it was planned, it was with no regard to his passenger's safety, a basic core responsibility of any PIC.....not to mention piss poor judgement or lack there of.

All gave some, Some gave all