Author Topic: vid card upgrade...  (Read 3283 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: vid card upgrade...
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 10:32:51 AM »
let me ask.. if its a low end why do people claim to play Crisis 2 and/or Black ops with it? those games are far more advanced graphically then AH....just saying.

im aware i have a 6 core CPU, but AH only uses 1 core of it.

i role with AH open, and mozilla with 6 tabs. mozilla takes upa good bit of space no doubt, but why would 5 free cores not be able to handle it?

if i could dedicate AH to a single core and isolate that core for STRICTLY AH i think i would be happening right now until i save up the money for a 6970....

You really do not get it.  Just because a game looks pretty does not make it more graphically intense.  A good flight sim will blow any game out of the water in the shear number of floating point operations needed to calculate flight.

Aces High will natively use 2 cores (messing with affinity is only for applications which are not natively multi-threaded), as long as they are Intel CPU's.  On AMD CPU's, AMD provided a workaround for a bug in the design which we have to use.  It disables the ability to allow the game to run on more than one core.

It does not matter how many cores a CPU has, as there is only ONE path to and from system RAM.  Each CPU has to wait its turn to access system RAM, thereby reducing the performance of each core each time another core is running.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:50:27 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 08:05:53 PM »
i have youtube up, but nothing playing on it.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 08:25:52 PM »
when you do that, look in your task manager under processes, if you see the flashutil.exe process running, end it.

can't understand people who think they have issues with ah performance on their systems while they have crap running in the background...run it "clean". fresh boot, kill anti-xxx programs, make sure your windows is running with the least number of processes possible, and don't be listening to mediaplayer, itunes, winamp, youtube videos, or anything but what is really necessary while playing ah. it will keep you from being foolish enough to throw money out the window on hardware you don't really need, and probably can't afford.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 05:53:05 AM »
^ what he said.

I get decent framerate and never get glitches or stutters, because before I fire up AH my system looks like this:

edit: before running FSAutostart I'm showing about 60 processes ... :uhoh
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 06:21:13 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 07:28:59 AM »

Thats enough to induce slowdowns in my experience.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 12:00:35 PM »
^ what he said.

I get decent framerate and never get glitches or stutters, because before I fire up AH my system looks like this:

(Image removed from quote.)

edit: before running FSAutostart I'm showing about 60 processes ... :uhoh

My system looks like that always, without any autostart.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 12:55:51 PM »
I got 50 processes and have netflix playing on the other screen.  I have full frames and never have stutters.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011, 01:15:21 PM »
My system looks like that always, without any autostart.

thats fine for a dedicated gaming box/boot, but I have to run every single piece of software/protocol our company uses on this machine so thats not an option for me. I was going to set up a dedicated boot for AH but I already have XP Pro/Win7/OSX86/Ubuntu boots so ... FSAutostart to the rescue :aok

I got 50 processes and have netflix playing on the other screen.  I have full frames and never have stutters.

good for you, even if its just down to good luck rather than good judgement :D
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2011, 01:41:46 PM »

semp

No matter what you think you perceive, you have increased your chances of packet loss for the game as well as increased the randomness of the latency to the server.

You have also significantly increased the chances of application problems occurring.  Just thinking of the context switching going here makes my head hurt.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2011, 11:28:52 PM »

Aces High will natively use 2 cores (messing with affinity is only for applications which are not natively multi-threaded), as long as they are Intel CPU's.  On AMD CPU's, AMD provided a workaround for a bug in the design which we have to use.  It disables the ability to allow the game to run on more than one core.

It does not matter how many cores a CPU has, as there is only ONE path to and from system RAM.  Each CPU has to wait its turn to access system RAM, there by reducing the performance of each core each time another core is running.

I am glad you posted this Skuzzy........... could you let us know if it is better to use "Dual Channel Ganged Mode"   or is it better to use "Dual Channel UnGanged Mode"  when setting up our system memory/computer for best performance in Aces High

I read in an online PC Review/article, that using "UnGanged" setting splits the bandwidth in half, therefore doubling throughput availability.......... something like running Ganged you have a single lane at a 128 bits, but using unganged you have double the lanes of bandwidth albeit at a lower 64 bits....... the article wrote that you increased the lanes of throughput for the memory using "unganged"   * <----- I am going from memory so this is not word for word of how it read *

wish I could find that website/link where I read about this.........  

which is better for Aces High?

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 08:56:54 AM »
"Ganged" versus "Unganged" is strictly an AMD architecture issue.  At its simplest, the AMD Phenom dies have two memory controllers.  You can make than act as one unit (ganged) or act independent of each other (unganged).

They still only have one path to/from the physical system RAM.  Internally, they share access to the internal cache, so they are in the same boat as only one unit can access the cache at a time.

I would think it would be better, overall, to gang them.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2011, 12:25:29 PM »
thats fine for a dedicated gaming box/boot, but I have to run every single piece of software/protocol our company uses on this machine so thats not an option for me. I was going to set up a dedicated boot for AH but I already have XP Pro/Win7/OSX86/Ubuntu boots so ... FSAutostart to the rescue :aok

Uhm, looking for excuses to get fired? Installing/playing games on work hardware :eek:
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2011, 12:38:28 PM »
Uhm, looking for excuses to get fired? Installing/playing games on work hardware :eek:

What's wrong with playing Aces High at work?  I do. :)
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2011, 12:43:26 PM »
What's wrong with playing Aces High at work?  I do. :)

:rofl

me too :D

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2011, 12:52:29 PM »
he didn't mention the hardware belonged to the company...my hardware belongs to me, the software is provided by the company so i can do my job from home when called upon to do so.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett