Author Topic: vid card upgrade...  (Read 3484 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: vid card upgrade...
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2011, 04:30:03 PM »
One thing to keep in mind when looking at game engine implementation in finished products:

Titles like black ops are multi platform. Most likely it's mainly developed for consoles and then ported to PC. Consoles have a very limited hardware (XBOX for example has memory as low as 512Mb, graphics frame buffer 10Mb eDram/512mb shared/Ati xenos which is similar to ATI Radeon X1900/X1950 etc.) which equals to a 5-7 year old gaming PC and this creates great big limitations on everything that console games can do, which then unfortunately gimps the PC versions also.

Many current games do not get a native PC version and it shows heavily in the end result. So if BO is limited to strict LOD/view distances it's most likely because the ancient console hardware just can't cut the mustard.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2011, 05:30:55 PM »
so let me get this straight ripley, you think it would be a good idea for htc to use a game engine that would eliminate the use of windows xp, require 4 gigabytes of ram, a quad core processor and at least 800 megabytes of video memory to function properly...to gain nothing more than a highly destructible environment. i guess you don't remember the outcry that occurred with the last graphics update that was made, or the plethora of outcries since with every update released.

aside from cross platform (no mac os) porting capabilities, the destructible environment and the implementation of screen space ambient occlusion (some sort of new adaptive pixel shader) are the selling points.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2011, 07:27:27 PM »
you guys need to step back and stop arguing over something that has nothing to do with the op.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2011, 10:50:05 PM »
you guys need to step back and stop arguing over something that has nothing to do with the op.

semp
been thinking this... but its kind of interesting to a degree.

a "destroyable" eye candy could be nice to a degree... but then it rule out any chance of those without the money or time to put a custom rig together number 1, and 2 it would be boring after a while, what could be destroyed that would add spice to the game? trees and bushes? fun... if we could drive through the bushes and hedges though it would be more worth the time. back to point one with that though im sure.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2011, 10:06:50 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 06:09:25 AM by Skuzzy »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2011, 05:01:57 PM »
"Ganged" versus "Unganged" is strictly an AMD architecture issue.  At its simplest, " the AMD Phenom dies" ..............  .<snip>

Freudian Slip??

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2011, 05:23:25 PM »

Freudian Slip??

if anything maybe a typo  whether he meant dies or dyes, I would assume

these cpus  have multiple dyes/dies on them.........

we all know Skuzzy prefers to work with Intel,so no reason for him to make a typo coming by way of subconcious feelings..  hehe

hope this helps

TC
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 05:28:27 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2011, 06:15:24 AM »
if anything maybe a typo  whether he meant dies or dyes, I would assume

these cpus  have multiple dyes/dies on them.........

we all know Skuzzy prefers to work with Intel,so no reason for him to make a typo coming by way of subconcious feelings..  hehe

hope this helps

TC

That is quite incorrect.  If you recall when Intel made the Prescott core CPU's I was vehemently against those things.  They were the worst CPU's foisted on the general public.

I have no personal preference, except to whatever happens to work best with the game, at any given moment.

Just FYI, "die" is the correct term for the silicon wafer.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2011, 06:24:24 AM »
That is quite incorrect.  If you recall when Intel made the Prescott core CPU's I was vehemently against those things.  They were the worst CPU's foisted on the general public.

I have no personal preference, except to whatever happens to work best with the game, at any given moment.

Just FYI, "die" is the correct term for the silicon wafer.

oh yes sir, I do recall those prescotts....... those were them CPU with a free Sonya, weren't they

I actually meant you have less trouble with Intel based systems on average concerning Aces High, being the reason you prefer them..... I was not implying that you are biased toward Intel in any way over other brands..... sorry if I misled anyone.....

anyways......... is all good

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2011, 06:35:17 AM »
My general issues with AMD (multi-threading bug aside) has been the motherboard chipsets.  I got to discuss this with a wheel at AMD once and he lamented the same problem.  Intel has always been ahead of the game due to the chipset support they provide.

I was hoping when AMD acquired ATI, they would really jump in behind the ATI chipset and fully develope it.  Seems that chipset has been floundering about since the acquisition.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com