Author Topic: A Personal question  (Read 2023 times)

Offline snakeplissken

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Silver Member
A Personal question
« on: September 11, 2011, 11:06:38 PM »
I have noticed a drop in FSO participation over the last few years... I have also seen a general decline in numbers in the game... I don't believe it is a problem with FSO... I know very few players that say, "I like the Main Arena, but I don't like FSO."   Instead, I hear compliments and know people that say "FSO is the best part of the game."  Now as an FSO CM, I am not allowed to praise my event over any other.... So I didn't say that out loud.  "These are not the droids you are looking for."  Candidly, I am amazed so many people give up their Friday nights for FSO.  We have young guys in my squad that log on and say "I was suppose to go out tonight with my friends but, I told them I had to stay in and fly FSO."  LMAO, people crack me up.... But, from the CM point of view, let us know if there is something we can help with to make the event better.  The Admins have dreamed up everything from Carrier gun battles (Feb) to the 1st event with the new Zero (April) to B29 runs over Tokoyo (May) to Jets and Tempests, (this month).  To quote Johhny Dangerously, we are constantly exploring new and better areas of crime."  But I want to go on record and tell you that Admins are weird people... They ate the flower dust or something...
The Unforgiven motto: Quid posset ire iniuriam

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
Re: A Personal question
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 12:37:36 AM »
I'd be careful at what you allow based on suggestions. I am not a CM but I wouldn't go with just anything. What am I sayin, you guys are great and know what youre doing. MY only comment or suggestion would be actively recruiting new squads. Not just pilots, whole squads. ALL CO's should find stray pilots in MA that might wanna fly FSO. Advertise on 200 "Anyone want to fly a Dora tonight in FSO?" Youd be amazed at how many PMs you will get. I think event wise, nothing needs to be changed. Hell, no change at all is necessary. But more squads and fresh blood is always recommended :devil:
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 06:42:04 AM »
Personally, I am getting very tired of climbing for 45 minutes (after hanging in the tower for 30) for a 2 minute fight that I or the bad guy ends up on the wrong side of a 3 vs 1.  Don't care if everyone in WWII flew to 30k and still got bounced.  I would rather fly in the MA, than have a sortie that lasts up to an hour or more with no guarantee of even getting in a fight.  I do enjoy the company of my squad, but that is what has kept me here.  Not the game play.  Going to take a FSO vacation after this next frame.

Would rather see a 25k fighter/20k bomber ceiling implemented, as well as having shorter mission routes.  Maybe even a second life.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 07:20:58 AM »
I would like to see an earlier start time, at least by one hour.  I understand it needs a late start to allow the west coast guys a chance to play but currently they have the optimum time for most at 8-10pm.  Moving it forward by one hour would help out the east coast guys without adding much of a sacrifice to the west coast guys.  Most people are home from work and done with dinner by 7pm.  I for one would prefer rushing through dinner to get to FSO instead of being up to 1am.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 07:22:34 AM »
I would like to see an earlier start time, at least by one hour.

This.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 07:30:43 AM »
I would like to see a small corner 10 sectors away from the main FSO battles used for base capturing after T+60.  One nuetral base to be fought over by both sides using GV's and aircraft from the FSO order of battle.  Each side capture results in bonus points for that side.

For blue water maps, same thing for a nuetral port fought over by two CV groups.  C-47's to be launched from CV's.

Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 07:40:30 AM »
Personally, I am getting very tired of climbing for 45 minutes (after hanging in the tower for 30) for a 2 minute fight that I or the bad guy ends up on the wrong side of a 3 vs 1.  Don't care if everyone in WWII flew to 30k and still got bounced.  I would rather fly in the MA, than have a sortie that lasts up to an hour or more with no guarantee of even getting in a fight.  I do enjoy the company of my squad, but that is what has kept me here.  Not the game play.  Going to take a FSO vacation after this next frame.

Would rather see a 25k fighter/20k bomber ceiling implemented, as well as having shorter mission routes.  Maybe even a second life.

That is really a CIC problem, more than a FSO or CM issue.

This is not a dig at anyone in particular, just a raw fact.

Some orders are just not well written.

Some folks were not meant to, or do not know how to lead.

Sometimes it is just bad luck.

Sometimes the opposing CIC has a better plan than to one that you have.

Sometimes the CIC writes the orders so that their particular squad is poised to be in a position to get the most contact and the lion's share of the kills.

The flip side of that coin is that I have seen orders from CIC's that were brilliant.

I have also seen CIC's and/or squad leaders that can "smell" the enemy for lack of a better word and know exactly where and when to vector their forces to be in a good position.

As for the decline in numbers, I have noticed that this usually happens over the summer months for the obvious reasons.

With regard to declining numbers over the past few years, this is more of an issue for HiTech.  Every business owner has to deal with the intricacies and nuances of marketing their product to the public and must evolve both their marketing strategy and product in order to remain solvent.

Sometimes one has to be almost clairvoyant.  It is a balancing act between listening to what the customer wants, and knowing/giving them what they actually need.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline BlkKnit

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 08:42:44 AM »
Just a related question:  How large is current FSO participation?  I have been away for quite a while (4 years maybe?), miss it a lot but finding time for gaming has become a major problem.  I seem remember having 100ish FSO participants when i was a noob, which grew to well over 200.  The Sunday version (SSO) was getting 60-80 in the old days and it then fizzled out while FSO grew.  Anyway, just curious.

I always liked the 1 life adrenaline rush, the long patrols of boredom, the quick deadly fights, and then, if you were lucky, finding a place to refuel and rearm to go find another fight before time ran out.  I also understand that this is not for everyone, but once you get hooked in, its hard to stay away!

Once a Knight is Never Enough

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 09:30:16 AM »
To me FSO is one of the high points of Aces High.  Not wanting to digress too much... but I do enjoy the constant action in the MA's... and the camaraderie with my squad and other friends I have made here.

But as for FSO... its the teamwork, planning, and dedication that drew me in.  I think my first FSO I was dead within seconds of the first engagement... augured in if I am not mistaken.  But the sheer scale and thrill of it has kept me coming back.

True... there are some nights that I dont see much action.  It ends up being a 90 minute patrol with a few moments of "what is that over there?" mixed in.  But then there are other nights that its an hour plus of "Bandits! bandits!... check it! check it!.. OMG! OMG!... get him off me! get him off me!... GOT HIM YEAH!... Bombers 10 o'clock low!... Dude dont get in front of me!"

Those are the nights that you remember. 

As for suggestions...  thats a tough one. 

I think an AVG and UK vs Japan event would be nice (if there isnt already one).

A "Pacific Theatre 1942" FSO might be a good idea.  The idea being 3 frames, but each frame representing a different battle in the pacific.

Frame 1 - Coral Sea http://www.ww2pacific.com/coralsea.html
Frame 2 - Midway http://www.ww2pacific.com/midway2.html
Frame 3 - Soloman Sea http://www.ww2pacific.com/eastsol.html

All 3 of these represent major carrier battles that occurred during 1942.  And the historical balance of forces is close.  It also gives some of the less used pacific aircraft a chance to shine.  The F4F, SBD, & TBM...  along with the D3A & B5N... and of course the A6M2 & A6M3.  It leaves out the high powered, heavy hitters of the later war years.

By spreading the action out over 3 battles...  and possibly 3 different maps (if we have them)... the tactics and planning would be totally different for each frame.  Of course... you could just run them as 3 totally separate FSO's. 

***G3-MF***

Offline snakeplissken

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 11:08:09 AM »
Last Friday's FSO saw participation by 341 players at launch.  A few more may have came in late.  Good numbers (amazing for a Friday night).  But, a couple years back they were 500 +.  Now, a few years before that, you are right, 100-200 was standard. 
The Unforgiven motto: Quid posset ire iniuriam

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 11:13:11 AM »

If you dont like spending more time flying than fighting, I suggest DA. This event is meant to put us gamers as close to the real thing as possible. And, lets be honest, in real life more time was spent climbing to say the least. I say, get over it.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 11:16:19 AM »
AKP, suggesting a certain setup will not help. The setups are almost arbitrary when it comes to participation (except late war Luft). Suggesting Pacific...nevermind.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 11:22:01 AM »
Last Friday's FSO saw participation by 341 players at launch.  A few more may have came in late.  Good numbers (amazing for a Friday night).  But, a couple years back they were 500 +.  Now, a few years before that, you are right, 100-200 was standard. 

When the economy starts to rebound and many former players can return to a normal work week before, then they will sign back up for the 15 bucks a month.  That's when we will resume the 500+ numbers for FSO.  It might be a couple of years before that happens.

I always praise the game for people I meet in RL who are real life pilots and aviation enthusiasts.  Sort of my little way of recruiting.
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 11:53:56 AM »
AKP, suggesting a certain setup will not help. The setups are almost arbitrary when it comes to participation (except late war Luft). Suggesting Pacific...nevermind.

Your disdain for Pacific theatre is noted... as is your opinion.  

ALL CO's should find stray pilots in MA that might wanna fly FSO. Advertise on 200 "Anyone want to fly a Dora tonight in FSO?" Youd be amazed at how many PMs you will get.

The idea of advertising on 200 for pilots for your squad on the night of the frame is rather concerning... and not recommended.  It will draw those that do not have any stake or respect for FSO... and walks a fine line with the "no walk on" rule.

A better method would be to talk to those you actually fly with in the main arenas... talk about what you did in FSO.  What a good time it is.  Talk it up.  Not only are you spreading the word of your experiences, you are spreading it to people you know and associate with... and know how they act and behave.  Hanging it out there on 200 is just asking for trouble.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 12:17:34 PM by AKP »

***G3-MF***

Offline Frodo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 12:39:56 PM »
I would like to see an earlier start time, at least by one hour. 

Surely wouldn't hurt to give this a try? I usually try to hit the main for an hour before FSO, and the numbers are high at that time. Recruit some more also as many players don't visit this bbs, or rarely anyway.  :salute

JG11 

TEAMWORK IS ESSENTIAL....IT GIVES THE ENEMY SOMEONE ELSE TO SHOOT AT.