Author Topic: Play quality  (Read 6748 times)

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
Re: Play quality
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2011, 09:34:36 AM »
I've been here well to many years, I don't think the quality is what it was 5 or 8 years ago or even back in Air Warrior days, now a few reasons for this.
The economy has really hurt many, I believe quite a few of the quality sticks probably retired or gotten bored with the game.

Thus being said - I don't agree the Quality has  changed all to much over the years, I believe its just lack of training and lack of learning that does it.

5 Years ago we had NOE's but not every single mission flown from one country were NOE's, you'd get one or two here and there with a single Squad running them or a pair of squads.

Problem is less then 20% have always been Experts in the cartoon world, 20% or more have been bran new to the game and everyone else is stuck in the middle, whether its lack of interest to learn ACM, or someone who just enjoys flying with his squad and having some time to blow off steam.

Either way I don't think the Quality went down the drain as much in the last few years as the Strategy involved, which really has gone down hill.
When 60 players mass for an NOE, some call this "a mission" others call it a horde, I haven't seen this 5 years ago unless it was squad night for a large squad with 3-4 sub squads, even then there wasn't 40-60 players it was more like 20 was a horde.

Squads arn't training new pilots also, not as effectively as it was 5 years ago, the learning Curve hasn't changed and some either accept the challange or don't.

JG 52

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2011, 10:19:08 AM »
umm there is less players i know that...

its hard for me to tell the skill level or timidness compared to 3-4 years ago, but i do see alot more running lately
You had your typical timid tards back then. But not like you did when I left the game. I can only imagine its even worse now. Another reason I wont be back. I dont like paying to chase cartoon cowards.
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2011, 10:44:02 AM »
I have been here since 2002 ...

The core elements of game play have not really changed.

Which is a problem.

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2011, 11:08:01 AM »
put out.

The players on the other hand have changed tremendously ! 10 years ago we were all history nuts playing a war simulation game. Today most players are games trying to win the war before they have to go do their homework.

LOl you said put out  and  the part about winning the war before  homework you could not  be more wrong  about I  dont do  homewirk as  my 9th grade algebra  and  Introduction to High school Engrish scores..errr Grades can attest to. I have to win the war befor I go  play Ace Combat on my console and  complain about how slow paced AH is  is  compared to it  as  I fire off 8 heatseeking missles that  are  super manurerable against weak AI with no rearms.<--that is  sarcasim face
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2011, 11:17:53 AM »
LOl you said put out  and  the part about winning the war before  homework you could not  be more wrong  about I  dont do  homewirk as  my 9th grade algebra  and  Introduction to High school Engrish scores..errr Grades can attest to. I have to win the war befor I go  play Ace Combat on my console and  complain about how slow paced AH is  is  compared to it  as  I fire off 8 heatseeking missles that  are  super manurerable against weak AI with no rearms.(Image removed from quote.)<--that is  sarcasim face
for all you guys focused on "what's wrong" in ah...there's one answer.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2011, 11:29:08 AM »
LOl you said put out  and  the part about winning the war before  homework you could not  be more wrong  about I  dont do  homewirk as  my 9th grade algebra  and  Introduction to High school Engrish scores..errr Grades can attest to. I have to win the war befor I go  play Ace Combat on my console and  complain about how slow paced AH is  is  compared to it  as  I fire off 8 heatseeking missles that  are  super manurerable against weak AI with no rearms.(Image removed from quote.)<--that is  sarcasim face

What is wrong with you boy?

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2011, 11:45:08 AM »
:headscratch:
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2011, 11:47:32 AM »
IMHO good fights have dwindled since going back to one LW.

They can still be found if you have time and patience.

Agreed. The biggest change recently is to LW single arena.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2011, 12:12:01 PM »
Ten years ago there were whines on hordes, ho's, konga-lines, milkrunning and
there being too many timid players.

After popping in and out of AH over several years (usually quit before 2 week trial
is up) IMNSHO the biggest change has been the loss of the folks who prefer fighting
other players. Many grew bored for alot of reasons;
* typical burnout
* the farsical, fantasy MA setup - frustrated with lack of  historical play
* unhindered increase of gameyness - augernauts/pork&auger , fleet shenanigans
    or 4 engined dive bombers

Now dogfighters (or even those who like PVP combat) are the minority in an arcade,
fantasy "World of Landgrab" An environment that has no resemblance to anything
WW2-ish. Beyond the skin of the ride one. 

IMHO of course.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2011, 12:16:57 PM »
oh. and the lack of a perma-squelch is a biggy imo.
No small number I'm sure were fed up with the lack of being able to directly control
the quality of their online experience. Especially vox.

There's more verbal diahrea on vox and radio than ever before. I'd not even consider
subbing again without it
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 12:18:41 PM by Westy »

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2011, 12:21:16 PM »
It could get a re branding:

Aces High:  Blitzkrieg!

Overwhelm your foe's with a lightning strike!  Throw crushing numbers against lightly defended Targets!   Outflank your enemy and avoid the main force to avoid an indecisive battle.  Swarm enemy defense with massive air support!  All this and more is available with Aces High... BLITZKREIG!!!!
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline COndor06

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.CondorAerial.com
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2011, 12:21:48 PM »
I remember some good fights with BiPolar. He might like to rant a bit (Hence the name, ha ha) but he was always good for real fight and he had the skills to prove it. I too left the game about a year ago. I don't see any reason to come back yet. It just became a 1st person shooter game like Halo. I guess the Xbox crowd kinda moved in a bit and there is nothing wrong with that style of play, just has no appeal to me.

I do like coming to the boards every now and then to see who is still around.
Be careful what you shoot at. Most things
in here don't react too well to bullets.
Captain Marko Ramius:

http://www.CondorAerial.com

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2011, 12:32:00 PM »
oh. and the lack of a perma-squelch is a biggy imo.
No small number I'm sure were fed up with the lack of being able to directly control
the quality of their online experience. Especially vox.

There's more verbal diahrea on vox and radio than ever before. I'd not even consider
subbing again without it
no offense but, if you're that affected by what is said on vox and text, permanent squelch won't do anything for you.

this is another one of those funny discussions that pop up around here where some try to hold other people responsible for how they experience the game.   :lol  great stuff
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2011, 03:31:43 PM »
Your sweeping generalizations really make me chuckle but assuming you are right, what's so wrong about that?  Game play quality is a direct function of both the game itself and the players, not just the players.  In fact I'd say it is more heavily based on the way the game is set up to be played. If HTC fails to update the simplistic strategic system they have in the game and continue to live in the Simmer Stoneage where simple mind numbing strategy was good enough for the simmer crowd, then we will become obsolete.  Pretty simple really.

Spoken like a true gamer!  :neener: You play the one thing you really like about the game, flying fighters. You have become one of the best sticks in the game. You started a game (learn to fly fighters) you practiced and played, and now your at the top as one of the top sticks, end game. You don't really have any intrest in the rest of the stuff that the game offers, and spend very little time playing with them. Which there is nothing wrong with, but expecting HTC to come up with some new challenge for a top notch fighter to bring the "thrill" back is un reasonable, after all the game isn't all about JUST fighters.

no offense but, if you're that affected by what is said on vox and text, permanent squelch won't do anything for you.

(Image removed from quote.)

this is another one of those funny discussions that pop up around here where some try to hold other people responsible for how they experience the game.   :lol  great stuff

But Westy's comments ARE relevant.  In the old days sure there was some smack talk on the "ALL" channel but it was in fun and everyone knew it. The "ALL" channel was the "chat room" for the players as they climbed out or flew to the fight. I remember many times telling people to wait, and I'll be back, and they would.... and they'd shoot me down a 2nd, 3rd time  :( A lot of "chit chat" went back and forth. As the player base changed the smack talk grew nastier and nastier. HTC had to close off the "ALL" channel and make 200 the "ALL" channel so that you would have to willingly tune it and so accept the sewage that spews forth by the minute. Simmers were all "friends" and spent the nights fighting each other and then talking about the fights on the return trip. Today the only time people talk to the guy that just shot him down is to complain, whine, or list the excuses as to why they got shot down. It's all a big internet ego trip now.

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2011, 03:33:43 PM »

Its  satire This article is about the genre. Satire is primarily a literary genre or form, although in practice it can also be found in the graphic and performing arts. In satire, vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon.

A common feature of satire is strong irony or sarcasm—"in satire, irony is militant"[2]—but parody, burlesque, exaggeration, juxtaposition, comparison, analogy, and double entendre are all frequently used in satirical speech and writing. This "militant" irony or sarcasm often professes to approve (or at least accept as natural) the very things the satirist wishes to attack.

HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep