Author Topic: 109 g6 vs g2  (Read 3258 times)

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
Re: 109 g6 vs g2
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2011, 09:41:07 AM »
I spent more time in the g6 this tour.  I really like it!  I found that I can get kills at a much further distance than my beloved g2.  With the g2 everything is up close and personal to get a kill.  With the g6 I set the convergence to 500 and could kill at a further distance and as a result...make it home alive more of the time.  :)

With the g6 I am 10-2.  That is a really good kill ratio for me.

I fly many different planes each tour though.  I look at the map and basically pick what plane I think would be most effective for a given scenario.  I also pick what would be fun of course!
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2011, 10:14:14 AM »
Purely anecdotal but FWIW we had this discussion among the squad a while back and Grizz and SunsFan did a series of duels G6 vs. G2 (both participants flying each plane) and the G6 was the clear winner.
Me and pervert did this a while back and te g6 was the winner.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2011, 10:21:03 AM »
Me and pervert did this a while back and te g6 was the winner.
Thats how, the g2 has a better sustained turn rate...

Anyway for me its easyer to reverse in a g6, maybe couse its heavyer nose. Slow as crazy and vulnerable to the run-ho-run tactic tho.

Edit: Jo, what kind of power?  Now i curious...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 10:31:02 AM by Debrody »
AoM
City of ice

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2011, 10:29:47 AM »
Thats how, the g2 has a better sustained turn rate...

Anyway for me its easyer to reverse in a g6, maybe couse its heavyer nose. Slow as crazy and vulnerable to the run-ho-run tactic tho.
The g2 turns slightly better, but it isn't enough to counter act the power of the g6 enough...
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2011, 01:06:49 PM »
The g2 turns slightly better, but it isn't enough to counter act the power of the g6 enough...

g2 and g6 have the same engine...

Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2011, 01:17:54 PM »
Beat me to it. Same engine. Same airframe (slightly less draggy on the G2), better view, better weight, same 20mm hub gun on the G2. I don't see the claims that the G6 is "better" than or "owns" the G2. I've flown both and the G6 has a place in my heart, but as the underdog, not as the beast/monster.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2011, 01:25:32 PM »
give it two equally skilled, fairly good but nothing special pilots, the g2 will win every duel.
now let two monsters fly in them, the g6's chances increasing dramatically.

why?
the extra weight is all in the nose, ruining the g2's good balance and make the aircraft nose-heavy. And oddly enough, it dont hurt the turn rate as much (2-3%) as it increases the stability in ultra low speed vertical reversals. And thats definiately the move the top 109 sticks tend to use.
For the same reason, i "feel" the k4 better than my little beast.
AoM
City of ice

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2011, 08:04:01 AM »
Beat me to it. Same engine. Same airframe (slightly less draggy on the G2), better view, better weight, same 20mm hub gun on the G2. I don't see the claims that the G6 is "better" than or "owns" the G2. I've flown both and the G6 has a place in my heart, but as the underdog, not as the beast/monster.

The G6 has 2 things over the G2: slightly more firepower (2/13mm vs 2/8mm in the nose), and a more stable platform.  The G6 simply is easier to keep in the air when doing maneuvers, it is more forgiving.  Otherwise the G2 is faster, climbs better, turns better, accels better, etc.

When people make blatantly incorrect statements, I wonder just how or why they arrived at their answers other than just grabbing their flatulence cloud out of the air.     
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2011, 09:02:52 AM »
Was that aimed at me, loon?

Well let's see who's grabbing at what.  [EDIT: Erm... that seems a lot more pointed than I meant it to. It's intended as a semi-witty turn-around of your words, not as a directed attack. Just clarifying.]

The G-2 is a whopping 3mph faster on the deck. That's within 1%. Even plane to plane the factories usually had a tolerance of 3%-5%. You could have easily found G-6s in our configuration that were faster than G-2s in our configuration.

The climb rates are only different based on the weight creep on the G-6. They're a few fpm off but otherwise nearly identical. Less than 100fpm difference if I recall.

The G-2 has a turn radius of 636 ft while the G-6 has one of  648 ft.

The accelerations on the 2 planes are within 1 second of each other until you get to the top end of the speed range (where the draggier G-6 slows down a bit).

Why do I bring it up? Simply just to illustrate that some folks claim one is vastly better than the others (and some years ago I might have been one) but when you look at the stats they're very nearly the same plane. Many folks promoting one while detracting the other simply have some kind of blinder on for their favored ride (i.e. they're biased). Not aimed at Smokinloon, just aimed at this topic in general which has come up a few times over the years.

I think we all agree that the 13mm are way better than the 7mm. I think the "more stable" is a bit of a placebo effect, though.

Other than that I find that you can pull moves equally in both planes, as far as memory serves. I like the history of the planes when I fly them rather than the actual performance differences. If I'm feeling oldschool I'll take the 7mms. If I'm feeling the need to hunt the allied uber rides I'll take the 13mms.

P.S. I don't think folks give enough credence to the visibility benefit the G-2 has. The G-6 is much more restrictive. Sometimes that alone makes up for the guns package. Just one of my thoughts on the matter.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 09:28:21 AM by Krusty »

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2011, 01:34:57 PM »
I fly the G2 exclusively for capped bases, since the F4 got its gondolas and egg taken away <which is wrong>, with gondolas, 50% and a egg/drop tank. I think its the better of the 2.

Now,,,if the G6 had the U4 package, I might fly that :)

See ya in the Air,
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2011, 02:24:58 PM »
Was that aimed at me, loon?

Well let's see who's grabbing at what.  [EDIT: Erm... that seems a lot more pointed than I meant it to. It's intended as a semi-witty turn-around of your words, not as a directed attack. Just clarifying.]

The G-2 is a whopping 3mph faster on the deck. That's within 1%. Even plane to plane the factories usually had a tolerance of 3%-5%. You could have easily found G-6s in our configuration that were faster than G-2s in our configuration.

The climb rates are only different based on the weight creep on the G-6. They're a few fpm off but otherwise nearly identical. Less than 100fpm difference if I recall.

The G-2 has a turn radius of 636 ft while the G-6 has one of  648 ft.

The accelerations on the 2 planes are within 1 second of each other until you get to the top end of the speed range (where the draggier G-6 slows down a bit).

Why do I bring it up? Simply just to illustrate that some folks claim one is vastly better than the others (and some years ago I might have been one) but when you look at the stats they're very nearly the same plane. Many folks promoting one while detracting the other simply have some kind of blinder on for their favored ride (i.e. they're biased). Not aimed at Smokinloon, just aimed at this topic in general which has come up a few times over the years.

I think we all agree that the 13mm are way better than the 7mm. I think the "more stable" is a bit of a placebo effect, though.

Other than that I find that you can pull moves equally in both planes, as far as memory serves. I like the history of the planes when I fly them rather than the actual performance differences. If I'm feeling oldschool I'll take the 7mms. If I'm feeling the need to hunt the allied uber rides I'll take the 13mms.

P.S. I don't think folks give enough credence to the visibility benefit the G-2 has. The G-6 is much more restrictive. Sometimes that alone makes up for the guns package. Just one of my thoughts on the matter.

There's no doubt that the G-6 has certain advantages in the MA environment visa vi the G-2. However, in dueling, the G-2 owns the G-6. With equal pilots, the G-6 will never get guns on the G-2. That's because 3 percent is the difference between winning and losing. Inasmuch as I'm the type who loves to get into classic dogfights, I'll take the G-2 in the MA, and live with its lesser firepower.

The above doesn't mean that I would not fly the G-6, G-14 or the K-4. I do fly those, but typically only in the DA. Besides, I prefer mid-war fighters because I like the challenge of having to fight the uber rides in them. Odds are, I'll fly a P-39 or P-40 more often than the G-2. Nonetheless, I never feel over-matched when flying any 109.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 02:32:41 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2011, 03:02:33 PM »
That's because 3 percent is the difference between winning and losing.

Well, yes... When you put it that way agree. Sometimes 3% is all it takes to grant an edge.

Offline Maggie00

• Zinc Member
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2011, 10:25:06 AM »
So I'm the only one in love with the G14 eh?

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2011, 10:34:12 AM »
I love the G14 second only to the G6. In a 1 on 1 fight I would feel confident in the G14 vs any plane in the set.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2011, 10:46:50 AM »
The G14 is not a K4. . .and that is my problem with it.

sure it does not turn as fast, but it accelerates a lot faster, has slightly better views, and is just a speed demon.  I also like the way torque works in the K4, its more predictable in the stall for me.   I need to spend a lot more time in the g14 I think. . . but the k4s ability to gain E so fast is hard to give up.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 10:49:06 AM by Ruah »

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO