Author Topic: Collision Model  (Read 5512 times)

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
Re: Collision Model
« Reply #210 on: October 06, 2011, 01:29:02 PM »
 Maybe there's some kind of invisible polygon out there that shouldn't be when the wing breaks in that way?

Wiley.

That's what i was thinking to, i don't know how to ask this next question but let me try... is the wing drawn to its exact shape as a polygon or is it a rectangle shaped polygon with the wing outlined and filled in and the rest of the rectangle polygon is clear and can't be seen, does this question make sense? it's hard to type what I'm meaning i think

In other words he hit the clear part of the polygon not the filled in rendered wing part, understand what i mean?          ugh i now have a headache  lol
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #211 on: October 06, 2011, 02:01:03 PM »
Well, from what I know and have seen of 3D modeling, the actual polygons that are what the hit calculations etc are based on are independent of the skin.  They should match up but with an irregular thing like a broken wingroot I don't know how close to what is displayed it would be.

The floating engine outline would seem to me to possibly indicate a part that stays with the plane that shouldn't.

The other possibility that occurs to me is if the recorder might have a teeny bit of lag compared to what happens in real time in gameplay.  A pass that close, being out of sync by a couple hundredths of a second could be the difference between no hit and hit.

Or, perhaps the zones that count for hits are just slightly larger than the planes themselves.  I thought I read somewhere they don't use 'hitboxes' like they did in the Other Sim though, so that shouldn't apply.

In any case, a couple of feet is pretty good fidelity for collision modeling when you're talking about closing speeds in the hundreds of mph.

I can hardly wait for the 'ZOMG I saw a video on youtube showing a plane miss a bomber and register a collision!  The collision model is useless and shouldn't count against me!' comments to begin.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #212 on: October 06, 2011, 02:15:22 PM »
Someone from HTC correct me if I'm wrong...

When you "hit" parts no longer attached to the plane with the other guy in it - in this case the wing/engine/etc. - you only hear the thump of hitting it but take no damage. The only way to take damage is to hit something of the plane still attached to the other guy.  Because drones are technically attached to the other guy, you would take collision damage from hitting them too.

Since we can't see the actual text buffer in the video, we have no evidence that there were both collision messages to indicate that he collided with you and you collided with him.

Anyway, I guess the lesson learned is to not fly so close to an enemy plane.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #213 on: October 06, 2011, 02:53:03 PM »
HE SHOT YOU DOWN... with bullets... from his guns.
And then, HE collided with YOU.
So, in conclusion, no, the 110 did not collide with anything but bullets.
If this were a "both take damage" situation the 110, which obviously did not collide, would have blown up anyway.
In that vid my poor old 110 suffered the collision. In the game it said it was a collision and that I collided with the guy. I'm pretty sure that the B17 killed me via bullets anyhow, but the fact is, while I was sat in the Tower, the games text buffer called me out for colliding, when I had not. I'd like to mention the collision sound was made also just prior to the tower.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 02:54:57 PM by LCADolby »
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #214 on: October 06, 2011, 03:19:40 PM »
Dolby there is no collision in your video. If you want to claim otherwise post the AH film with the collision message.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #215 on: October 06, 2011, 03:44:15 PM »
It been sent to HiTech at his request  :)
I sat in the Tower in game and had a hissy fit this morning on 200 over it calling me out for colliding
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #216 on: October 06, 2011, 03:51:25 PM »
That video looks like a general collision bug (not just plane to plane but any type of line/polygon intersections) I fixed (but has not been released) about 1 month back.

It has to do with one of math region cases when computing intersection a line segment and a triangle.

It most notably was discovered by driving a 262 out of a hangar and it would blow up.

There should never be a case where you sufferer a collision and your plane does not hit the other plane.

And parts coming of a plane do not cause damage.

HiTech

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #217 on: October 06, 2011, 03:53:27 PM »
 :salute HiTech
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #218 on: October 06, 2011, 04:04:38 PM »
That video looks like a general collision bug (not just plane to plane but any type of line/polygon intersections) I fixed (but has not been released) about 1 month back.

It has to do with one of math region cases when computing intersection a line segment and a triangle.

It most notably was discovered by driving a 262 out of a hangar and it would blow up.

There should never be a case where you sufferer a collision and your plane does not hit the other plane.

And parts coming of a plane do not cause damage.

HiTech

That probably explains why I collided with nothing once when I was about to fly through a hanger. I couldn't reproduce it so I didn't post it.

It been sent to HiTech at his request  :)
I sat in the Tower in game and had a hissy fit this morning on 200 over it calling me out for colliding

That's understandable, it just wasn't clear from your video.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #219 on: October 06, 2011, 04:58:42 PM »
I prefer colliding into stuff..... pfft colliding into line segments and triangles..... Aliens I tell you ALIENS..........
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)