Author Topic: With the another great addition to armored vehicles do you think.....  (Read 1321 times)

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
Re: With the another great addition to armored vehicles do you think.....
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 02:55:58 PM »
Let's just get in our 'Way Back Machine' and go back to using the old spawn style for a few months, then when HTC re-reverts back to what we are currently using, everyone will be happy again.

No one is ever happy.
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 03:33:28 PM »
I understand these areas may not be cost efficient to deal with right away, but I wonder if (as I stated) anyone had thought to look at it as not a collision model problem, but a "what happens after the collision" problem.

3.  Not sure how it was done, but was inside an enclosed barn in a wooded area, and planes continully strafed my tank.  Finally a plane dropped a bomb through the roof of the barn and killed me.  This is very unlikely, given it was the newer longer covered bridge looking stable, that the bomb could have been placed with that accuracy or strafing through the building unless I was somehow visible from directly above through the roof.

Once they know where you are it's not like you can re-hide.

An example: GV in the indestructible. You can't see it from the air but once someone tells you it's there you know where it is.

We need more amnesiacs in game.

I searched and found this:

The question becomes what do you wish to happen when 2 vehicles collide?

Gets kinda dicey.....momentum moving of two moving vehicles versus one moving the other not, angle of impacts and weights.....physical properties of various materials involved in ther actual colliding......metal thicknesses, rubber elasticity.......just to mention a few variables.....

Obviously do not need to get that complicated......I rather imagine in the game when one vehicle collides with another the collider should be stopped.  If the collided vehicle was moving it too should be stopped.  Keep it simple.

Think how lag factors into this, when you detect a collision you stop like with a tree. So does other guy, except you both saw each other after the fact, so you stop inside each other. Now what happens since you are still colliding.

Think about speeds lags and such, and then you will start to see the essence of the problem. And hence why it is not the same as colliding with an object that does not move.

HiTech

I've noticed lately in an M-3 I will hit a tree and be through it completely before I come to a stop.

Not only would you have the above issues, two tanks essentially stuck inside each other, but you would also have the "normal" collision issues. He looks 60 yards away on your front end but he is inside your tank on his front end.

Well I tried going inside a Sherman the other day in my chute. System said I collided  :rolleyes: maybe jeeps can have something similar.

You're still in a plane in a chute, not the infantry.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 08:37:45 PM »
So, you would argue that it would cause more lag to loose a track and come to a stand still, than to flip and roll for the same amount of time?
Or it would become stuck inside of the tree or hill? 

I hadn't thought about getting stuck inside, but I do remember flipping of cilos and launching m3s across the top of a barn.  Seems to me quite a bit of time drawing that action as well.  Anyhow, like I was saying again.  If we stop looking at the collision and start looking at what the response to it or shooting while inside of another item could be.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 01:08:12 AM »
There are too many trees on a map for the servers to track a damage state for each as well as reporting the destroyed trees to each relevant front end.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 04:01:14 AM »
Again, the misconception is that I am other than curious about the difference between flipping my tiger or tracking it.   Or the difference between damage from a vehicle inside of another vehicle from killshoot (maybe even deflecting ricochet bullets causing the same effect as a killshoot).

Someone else may have asked to run over trees, but not me, not here.  Bump into or bounce off and come to a stand still okay, but sling it around like the mighty Hulk lived in that tree, and slamming it a foot into the turf upside down is NOT.  Bust a track or damage the engine, much more immersive.

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2011, 08:27:10 AM »
I noticed if you roll your vehicle, if you pull back on stick as you are rolling,( no your gv won't lift off)
seems to make it more likely to land upright.
Has been this way forever.
Maybe it's just coincidence, maybe not.
Somebody else try it.
                                                                                                                       :cheers: Oz

Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2011, 02:47:42 PM »
This made me wonder if there is anything that can be done to improve the ground aspect.  Specifically, a few areas that could use a facelift.  There have been some great additions to the ground vehicles.  Yet, there are still some issues that prevent me from dedicating the time to become a decent commander.  We all know these issues exist, and yes, we are willing to overlook them and still enjoy the great platform they are included in.  I wonder how much consideration / feasability for improvements is a priority.

• Driving inside of another vehicle to secure a kill; don't know how this is achieved by a jeep but maybe a killshoot could be awarded for firing inside (seems reasonable)
  • High Speed flips on a cartoon terrain; maybe loose a track, or stall the engine instead of launching heavy equipment airborne when bumping a bush
.the little bushes can't flip u anymore just the trees and the hedge rows
  • Hiden icons inside of structures; if the vehicle is not in line of sight, why should the icon be?
  • Advance spawn points and add realism to spawn camping; the factories for countries move from one point to another, why shouldn't spawns?

C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 02:51:59 PM »
the little bushes  cant flip u anymore just the trees and hedge rows.which I still find annoying
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2011, 04:57:33 PM »
Anyone ever notice that even today those massive tanks simply do not plow over 8in diameter trees?  They can and will damage the tank armor, tracks, main gun, optics, MG's, antennas, etc. Not to mention broke off tree trunks could very easily high center the tank as well.

I just happen to have a veteran tanker of the First Gulf War and Operation Iraqi Freedom as a fellow member of my squad.  The amount of first hand knowledge at a simple question away is quite nice.  FYI: The even the M1A1 MBT avoided trees if possible, and if they had to be pathfinders through the forest, jungle, or underbrush they drove at walking speeds.  Case in point: plowing in to and over trees at 25mph is NOT good for a tank regardless.  Avoid the trees.  Be happy they only stop you and not damage your track or hang you up.

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2011, 07:56:46 PM »
Good points Smokin.  IIRC, one big problem, besides the bad guys in the Gulf War, was that the tanks drove distances on the hot paved roads and tracks they were not designed for, causing them to be replaced much more often. 

I get it.  At what point does a vehicle versus a solid object, stop the momentum of that vehicle.  Since they could actually get stuck inside one another, a force field of some type acts on the vehicle, to prevent this.  Which brings up another point, why is a hedge row a solid object?

In any case, I would guess that for the argument of immersion one found many more tracked tanks, than they did flipped ones.  Jeeps and half-tracks maybe were more vulnerable to being "high centered" and rolled. 

I don't know if anyone noticed that in the original post, I made no reference to any trees.  So, by all means avoid trees.  Also Oz,  that used to help, but I think I have my gears / accelerator / breaks keyed now instead of associated with the up and down motion of the joystick.