Author Topic: Change 'em Up!  (Read 481 times)

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Change 'em Up!
« on: October 04, 2011, 07:56:37 PM »
Variety is the spice of life, and there's nothing wrong with shaking it up a little in AH2.  Currently, all countries start at the same spot on every map (e.g., one will always start at the southeast side of one map, and the northwest of another).  Therefore, to switch up gameplay, maps should rotate the starting position of each faction each time they play.  It would take up almost no resources, just changing a few hundred flags during loading.

Another method to improve gameplay would be to randomly rotate airfields (but limiting them to 90 degree rotations to eliminate the need for terrain adjustments) during the loading of a map.  This would shake up fighter and bomber routes due to mountains making certain bases unusable while freeing up others.  Again, this would only involve chaning the direction property of around 10,000 objects before loading.  I don't know much about computers, but it doesn't seem very intensive at all, and could be done between loadings, or during off-peak times.  Note that this rotation would be symmetrical for all sides.

This would change up gameplay, breathing new life into this game.  If done between loadings, and scoped out beforehand, it would also be free of exploits that could easily be fixed by constraining the rotation of certain fields.  Off-peak hours have a lower server load, which would make this low-resource task even more painless.

-Penguin
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 07:58:08 PM by Penguin »

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Change 'em Up!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 09:41:58 PM »
Variety is the spice of life, and there's nothing wrong with shaking it up a little in AH2.  Currently, all countries start at the same spot on every map (e.g., one will always start at the southeast side of one map, and the northwest of another).  Therefore, to switch up gameplay, maps should rotate the starting position of each faction each time they play.  It would take up almost no resources, just changing a few hundred flags during loading.
wish granted. the rotation is random, and it happens.

Another method to improve gameplay would be to randomly rotate airfields (but limiting them to 90 degree rotations to eliminate the need for terrain adjustments) during the loading of a map.  This would shake up fighter and bomber routes due to mountains making certain bases unusable while freeing up others.  Again, this would only involve chaning the direction property of around 10,000 objects before loading.  I don't know much about computers, but it doesn't seem very intensive at all, and could be done between loadings, or during off-peak times.  Note that this rotation would be symmetrical for all sides.
getting static objects to do anything is no easy feat, let us know when you figure out how to accomplish it.

This would change up gameplay, breathing new life into this game.  If done between loadings, and scoped out beforehand, it would also be free of exploits that could easily be fixed by constraining the rotation of certain fields.  Off-peak hours have a lower server load, which would make this low-resource task even more painless.

-Penguin
so you think it's a good idea to do something to a program object while people are using it? amazing, i have to make sure no users are on my servers to make program changes. ever wonder why you get booted off the server when the map ends?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 10:35:12 PM »
^ Agreed
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline FBCrabby

• Nickel Member
      • AHFreebirds.com
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 12:57:48 AM »
something tells me the flying penguin got shot down  :O
AH-Freebirds.com - FB$ - Proud Squadron Of Aces High II

Actively Recruiting! - Join FB$ Today!

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 06:07:10 PM »
wish granted. the rotation is random, and it happens.

getting static objects to do anything is no easy feat, let us know when you figure out how to accomplish it.

so you think it's a good idea to do something to a program object while people are using it? amazing, i have to make sure no users are on my servers to make program changes. ever wonder why you get booted off the server when the map ends?

1.) Cool,  I never noticed!
2.) The objects would change their rotation via a script that would make a copy of the map and randomize their direction properties.
3.) No, my point was that servers not in use would do it.  For private servers, it would be an option.

-Penguin

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 07:02:03 PM »
i do believe young penguin that, you completely missed the word and thus the meaning of static, as in static object. i may be mistaken but, if you read mr.midi's terrain editor tutorial you will find something interesting about bases. your objective is to find out what can/cannot be done on a map during and after its creation.
jarhed  

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 07:16:16 PM »
I'll take a look, perhaps I spoke too soon.

-Penguin

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 08:46:59 PM »
At least this one chooses to learn rather than complain and do nothing  :aok

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 05:07:36 PM »
Well, as it turns out, I barely understand the manual, much less able to draw any conclusions.  I retract my wish.

-Penguin

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 05:15:58 PM »
at least you gave it a try penguin.   :aok
jarhed  

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 06:20:04 PM »
Does anyone understand that manual?  Perhaps there is an explanation.

-Penguin

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 07:20:49 PM »
Penguin, the only way to truely understand my tutorials, is to download the editors
And follow them step by step.
Each tutorial will take you further and further into creating terrains.
I tried my best to make them easy to follow along with and work with the Terrain Editor.
If you should decide to dwelve into the world of content creation for AH, it can turn into
A fun and exciting hobby. I must warn you tho it will not happen over night and you will get frustrated
t times but in the long run you'll be pleased with the effort you put into it.
And as I tell any body else. If you have questions I'm here to help. Free of charge
 :salute

Midi
In charge of nothing.
C.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
It is what it is!

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 08:41:23 PM »
That's very nice, but I'm a bit swamped right at the moment.  I could take a look into it over the weekend.

-Penguin