Author Topic: Dewoitine D.520  (Read 105245 times)

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Dewoitine D.520
« Reply #285 on: November 25, 2012, 02:02:36 PM »
That is irrelevant to my sorta point.  If the D.520 did have the better K/D ratio in that contest then the painting is correct with the Bf109 receiving the fire, contrary to Raphael's comment.  :p

Well..... shut up  :D.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline B3YT

• Silver Member
« Reply #286 on: November 25, 2012, 02:13:23 PM »
Surely if you give a good plane to bad pilots the K/D ratio would still be crap .  but give a good plane to good squadrons  and you get great K/D ratio.  So I would always equip the best squadrons with the better kit . 
As the cleaners say :"once more unto the bleach"

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #287 on: November 25, 2012, 04:24:21 PM »
Surely if you give a good plane to bad pilots the K/D ratio would still be crap .  but give a good plane to good squadrons  and you get great K/D ratio.  So I would always equip the best squadrons with the better kit . 

Well yes, but the point is that the 109 wasn't used in limtied numbers, and wasn't given to just 'the best', nor was the Cr.52 or other aircraft it faced. So its KTD doesn't nessicarily say anything to its capabilities.

Thats all I was saying.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #288 on: November 25, 2012, 06:09:31 PM »
Didn't the D.520 have a rather positive K/D ratio against the Bf109?

Yes it did during the Battle for France but surprisingly it's positive K/D ratio dropped when faced against Allied planes in Palestine/Syria and North Africa.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #289 on: November 25, 2012, 06:12:13 PM »
So its KTD doesn't nessicarily say anything to its capabilities.

Thats all I was saying.

It does, in fact it says quite a bit about its capabilities but you're so intent on trying to show how irrelevant the D.520 is that you're blind to it.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 06:43:02 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #290 on: November 25, 2012, 07:51:48 PM »
It does, in fact it says quite a bit about its capabilities but you're so intent on trying to show how irrelevant the D.520 is that you're blind to it.
I think other things should come first. Oh dear Jesus, I must be biased when viewing the data  :rolleyes:!

Say you're in a P-40E. You shoot me down when I'm flying a Ki-84. That doesn't say the P-40E is better than the Ki-84. All it says is that I've been out of the game for over a year, and couldn't have beaten you even when I left. Going "but the D.520 has a high KTD, so it must be good!" is entirely incorrect. It might mean that, sure, but its not in any way a guaranteed thing. Like I said, the D.520 was given to better units first, and so it's KTD would be influenced by pilot skill more than if it had been the primary fighter for the French.

I'm not saying the D.520 is a poor fighter, and I'm not saying its a good one; I personally don't know. What I am saying is that its KTD can't be looked at as the difinitive indicator of its capability, due to the limited useage, and uneven distribution between units.

If you feel I'm wrong, by all means correct me. But please don't pull that "You're wrong, you just don't know how you're wrong" BS.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #291 on: November 26, 2012, 07:50:52 AM »
I get kills in them all the time.

Great early war plane and a good battle for the mig3.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #292 on: November 26, 2012, 07:59:25 AM »
isn't the mig a brick compared to the Dewoitine?
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #293 on: November 26, 2012, 09:32:28 AM »
Heard that the Mig was a brick compared to just like anything. Would be nice to compare their wing loading though.
AoM
City of ice

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
« Reply #294 on: November 26, 2012, 09:37:24 AM »
I get kills in them all the time.

what?! did they release the d520?  :huh
Remember 08/08/2012
 Youtube videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/raphael103/featured
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #295 on: November 26, 2012, 05:53:57 PM »
I think other things should come first. Oh dear Jesus, I must be biased when viewing the data  :rolleyes:!

Say you're in a P-40E. You shoot me down when I'm flying a Ki-84. That doesn't say the P-40E is better than the Ki-84. All it says is that I've been out of the game for over a year, and couldn't have beaten you even when I left. Going "but the D.520 has a high KTD, so it must be good!" is entirely incorrect. It might mean that, sure, but its not in any way a guaranteed thing. Like I said, the D.520 was given to better units first, and so it's KTD would be influenced by pilot skill more than if it had been the primary fighter for the French.

I'm not saying the D.520 is a poor fighter, and I'm not saying its a good one; I personally don't know. What I am saying is that its KTD can't be looked at as the difinitive indicator of its capability, due to the limited useage, and uneven distribution between units.

If you feel I'm wrong, by all means correct me. But please don't pull that "You're wrong, you just don't know how you're wrong" BS.

Krusty is this your shade account?
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline Scotty55OEFVet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #296 on: November 26, 2012, 09:05:24 PM »
 :aok I had made a request for this awhile back TB. Good call. There are quite a few Aircraft that are not represented in AH and should be.
"War can only be abolished through war...in order to get rid of the gun it is necessary to take up the gun."

RedDevil

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #297 on: November 26, 2012, 09:42:14 PM »
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline B3YT

• Silver Member
« Reply #298 on: November 27, 2012, 04:41:04 AM »
If you have only a finite number of aircraft your going to put the best kit into the best hands . If it wasn't a good plane then why give it to the best pilots?
that wouldn't make sense you'd want them where they would be most effective .  Seeing how the battle of France was over so quickly imagine what would have happened
if it had been allowed  to be built in the same way as hurricane and spitfires were .  If only a small number were able to have such a good K/D ratio against a huge number of very experienced fighter pilots  then it must have been a pretty good plane for the pilots .

German pilots were the most experienced air combat pilots in the open years of the war , having already flown in the spanish civil war , ergo it was good pilot V good pilot in different planes .  French pilots were no where near as experienced in air to air combat  .
As the cleaners say :"once more unto the bleach"

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #299 on: November 27, 2012, 05:54:56 AM »
Didn't the D.520 have a rather positive K/D ratio against the Bf109?

Has anyone seen a direct K/D-comparison between Bf109E and D.520? All I remember seeing is general French claims versus French losses data including all types from both sides.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!