Author Topic: new tank destoyers to counter the M-18  (Read 1004 times)

Offline alpini13

• Nickel Member
new tank destoyers to counter the M-18
« on: October 07, 2011, 09:20:58 PM »
  Now that we are getting the M-18...and i am sure it will be awesome, how about the hunting panther TD or hetzer TD,specs are available on the net,both made in quantity and had much combat,maybe even the british archer? as there are no british gv's in game

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: new tank destoyers to counter the M-18
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 09:24:23 PM »
Perhaps it's time to pause with GVs and get a few new airplanes? P-40 does not count as it's an old airframe.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 09:28:26 PM »
i say 1 or 2 new tanks and at least 3 new bombers. prefferably the HE-111 JU-188 and the B-24D.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 09:34:03 PM »
i say 1 or 2 new tanks and at least 3 new bombers. prefferably the HE-111 JU-188 and the B-24D.

More targets? Yeah, I like that.  :devil
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 09:36:01 PM »
More targets? Yeah, I like that.  :devil
if you want a real target i could have said the PBY-5...:D

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 09:38:06 PM »
if you want a real target i could have said the PBY-5...:D

Nah, that's too easy.  :D
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline dirt911

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 12:57:22 AM »
No 24D 17F and Remodel 87 and 88.

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 01:18:50 AM »
more russian stuff FTW.    sorely lacking IMO
-AoM-

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 01:22:02 AM »
Morre competitive late warfighters!
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 07:56:42 AM »
Morre competitive late warfighters!
pretty much everything that dominated the skies in 1944/1945 is in ah now.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline 1Nicolas

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 09:26:40 AM »
The hetzer or Jagdpanzer 38(t) was a very sucsessful german TD in WW2. This is a pic showing the difference between Hetzer and Jagdpanzer IV:

Hetzer:
                    Jagdpanzer IV:
They kind of look the same except for Chassis, Hetzer is on Czech tank PzKpfw 38(t) and Jagdpanzer IV is on Panzer 4 chassis

(My World Of Tank signature)
There are no great men, just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 11:24:01 AM »
  Now that we are getting the M-18...and i am sure it will be awesome, how about the hunting panther TD or hetzer TD,specs are available on the net,both made in quantity and had much combat,maybe even the british archer? as there are no british gv's in game

The best "counter" to the M18 is going to be whatever can exploit its biggest weakness: lack of protection.  In the real deal, the M18 would not even think about going in to an area without infantry or anti-infantry support.  Any aircraft or any tank (most any GV) is going to be the bane of the M18, it is not hard to destroy.  Remember, the M18 has only 13mm of armor all around the hull, that is barely a half inch and barely enough to stop small arms fire.  An M3 running troops that comes across an M18 in ambush will be able to punch through its armor if it is close enough (within 400 yards), the only thing that is safe is the turret front thanks to the gun mantlet (44mm total armor on front of turret). It is completely an offensive weapon to be used vs enemy tank.  Dont even think about trying to use it to take down a town w/o support for the auto-ack will rip it apart, and besides it is going to have the weakest tank HE ability in the game.

No need to "counter" the M18, there are enough real and legit means already in the game.  However, adding in the Su-100, Hetzer, Stug III, or other such AFV on their own merits I'm all for!   :)
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 02:26:14 AM »
pretty much everything that dominated the skies in 1944/1945 is in ah now.

a26?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 07:17:46 AM »
a26?

semp
ya, need another late war attack bomber...and it didn't dominate the skies.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 08:45:33 AM »
We need the A26 like we needed the B29.  A: it would not be filling and gaps in the AH plane set.  B: we already have the A20, B26, Mossi IV, IL-2, and a whole host of jabo aircraft.  D: I count 37 more important aircraft to add to AH (don't make me list them  :D ).  D: HTC has many other more important things to work on than another "flash-bang" project.

Regarding the Firefly's TD's designation- Even if the terminology was not there, the doctrine was.  The Firefly's did not over-take 75mm armed Cromwell and Sherman tanks for a multitude of reasons, most notably the Firefly's lackluster HE capability and the less than desired ability to manufacture/deliver enough of them to the western front.  Hence, having 1 Firefly mixed in with 3-4 Cromwell or Sherman tanks for the sole purpose of engaging German armor.  Obviously, when called upon or when in a pinch the Firefly was going to set aside the AP and do all it could do with its weaker (and much slower firing) HE.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 08:55:24 AM by SmokinLoon »
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.