Author Topic: is it now time for SP's? self propelled guns  (Read 2468 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: is it now time for SP's? self propelled guns
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 06:52:51 AM »
lol, wrongway the squeakers all think the 105 is massive, and i don't think too many people realize just how small the 75/76mm is.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 07:09:19 AM »
to find how many inches something is in mm times it by 25.4  for instance 105mm cannon is 2.667" in diameter.

And skorpion if I see you apply world of tanks logic on how stuff is modeled 1 more time I will puke.

WOT is based on fiction 75% of the time, they nerf or buff stuff based on balance not actual numbers.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2011, 10:06:10 AM »
lol, wrongway the squeakers all think the 105 is massive, and i don't think too many people realize just how small the 75/76mm is.

better call the army and tell them that their tanks have a puny 105mm gun.  what's the caliber of their arty and tanks in iraq right now? <start sarcasm font>  I am pretty sure since they used 105mm in ww2 it should probably be at least 1000mm by now <end sarcasm font>.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2011, 10:54:15 AM »
better call the army and tell them that their tanks have a puny 105mm gun.  what's the caliber of their arty and tanks in iraq right now? <start sarcasm font>  I am pretty sure since they used 105mm in ww2 it should probably be at least 1000mm by now <end sarcasm font>.

semp
lol, actually m60 medium tank used a 105mm rifled bore, the m1a1 and m1a2 abrams uses a 120mm smooth bore. the largest field artillery piece you're going to see on the modern battlefield is probably the 8 inch.

have you ever seen the actual shells?
jarhed  

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2011, 11:23:57 AM »
lol, actually m60 medium tank used a 105mm rifled bore, the m1a1 and m1a2 abrams uses a 120mm smooth bore. the largest field artillery piece you're going to see on the modern battlefield is probably the 8 inch.

have you ever seen the actual shells?

I have fired them.  just wondering why you posted the comment about "non-massive" 105mm gun.

semp

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2011, 11:44:18 AM »
skorpion... for your sake please check out a few books from the library and start saving your money for reference books on WWII.   ;)   :salute
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2011, 11:51:55 AM »
because it's big yes, massive no. has a really nice blast radius but the 155mm and 203mm really rock your socks. i guess i was always a fan of the 155 over the 105. fired from a rifled tank barrel the 105 is a butt kicker, but then so were the ww2 85, 88 and 90mm.
jarhed  

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2011, 08:57:41 PM »
I have fired them.  just wondering why you posted the comment about "non-massive" 105mm gun.

semp

My reason was comparing the physical size of a 75 or 76mm guns carried in the turret of the M4A3 in game now versus the physical size of a 105mm howitzer that was also mounted in the same M4A3 turret.

Massive?

Same turret.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2011, 02:44:54 AM »
My reason was comparing the physical size of a 75 or 76mm guns carried in the turret of the M4A3 in game now versus the physical size of a 105mm howitzer that was also mounted in the same M4A3 turret.

Massive?

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

Same turret.

wrongway

yes size of the gun itself is misleading.  however you implied that 105mm is not that big of a deal or as you put it not massive.  but the 105mm puts a massive punch.  otherwise it wouldnt be still used today.

perhaps you may want to clarify what you mean  in terms of the gun size itself and not your statement that the 105mm is not "massive".  because i have seen the 105mm hit and I can tell you that it aint a little pop   :salute

semp

Offline WYOKIDIII

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2011, 06:39:59 AM »
Don't the marines still use 105 toadies ? They used to be in love with 'em .
Sooo....What , are those guys here to kill you because God forgot too ?

Hank Venture

Offline 4brkfast

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2011, 02:34:55 PM »
A tank is judged by several attributes. Mobility, armor and firepower.

A Priest is an artillery piece meant for indirect fire, a support role. If the Priest does end up in this game wouldn't you need a 'land mode', like in the navy ships, to utilize it's range?

The caliber of the gun does not automatically make it better. The Panther had a 75mm long-barreled gun, it was the long barrel and high velocity and bigger shell charge that made the gun superior, not the caliber. However, my intent is not to troll, the m4 105 should be in the game, given destroying buildings and stuff is a key component to the game. The 76mm M4 had a long barrel, which is where the power came from.

That being said, as semp suggested, there's a real good reason why the gun is still used today.

On the topic of artillery peices, we have one currently called the 'walking stuka', the SDK with the rockets on that side... the rockets that you can't adjust angles with. Why don't we start by fixing that?
"Nuts!" - General Anthony Clement McAuliffe's reply to German demands for surrender during the Battle of Bastogne.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 03:25:45 AM »
yes size of the gun itself is misleading.  however you implied that 105mm is not that big of a deal or as you put it not massive.  but the 105mm puts a massive punch.  otherwise it wouldnt be still used today.

perhaps you may want to clarify what you mean  in terms of the gun size itself and not your statement that the 105mm is not "massive".  because i have seen the 105mm hit and I can tell you that it aint a little pop   :salute

semp

The OP stated the M-4/105 needed a redesigned turret because of the "massive" 105mm howitzer....

We're talking guns in tank turrets here. Context.

How do you think, having first hand experience, the 105 would do used against another tank? I ask because that's what I know those asking for it are thinking.

"105-->bigger than 75, 76, 88-->it'll do "massive" damage...."

Explain it to them Semp.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 03:46:14 AM »
The OP stated the M-4/105 needed a redesigned turret because of the "massive" 105mm howitzer....

We're talking guns in tank turrets here. Context.

How do you think, having first hand experience, the 105 would do used against another tank? I ask because that's what I know those asking for it are thinking.

"105-->bigger than 75, 76, 88-->it'll do "massive" damage...."

Explain it to them Semp.

wrongway

well the  75 and 76 will kill tanks with one shot. so does the 88.   I am curious to now what the hell you are trying to say by the statement that the "105mm howitzer" is not massive. what exactly is your definition of massive?  and what exactly are you trying to say?  just curious because the 105mm in tanks is still used today.

semp

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 06:39:56 AM »
at first abrams where 105mm... then in the A1 they went to 120mm.
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2011, 07:09:32 AM »
well the  75 and 76 will kill tanks with one shot. so does the 88.   I am curious to now what the hell you are trying to say by the statement that the "105mm howitzer" is not massive. what exactly is your definition of massive?  and what exactly are you trying to say?  just curious because the 105mm in tanks is still used today.

semp
the 105mm main gun in the modern tanks you're referencing aren't field howitzers, nor were the 75mm, 76mm and 88mm main guns. m2 (~1420 fps) 105mm on the m4a3(105) and the m2a1 (~1550 fps) 105mm on the m7 were field howitzers, not anti-tank guns.
jarhed