Author Topic: Note the P40N and F loadouts. Nice work HTC  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Note the P40N and F loadouts. Nice work HTC
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 12:42:20 PM »
I put in a bit of time in the N.  It's nice.  Dives very well, I kept up with a P47N with minimal corner cutting through a few passes on a base.

Very stable aircraft.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 01:35:55 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Check again w/o WEP.  Anyone who uses WEP as a crutch doesn't seem to forget that WEP is not constant.   :headscratch:

Also, my observation was done when the aircraft were the nearly the same weight w/o WEP.  Check that stat, too.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Raptor05121

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 01:38:26 PM »
IMHO, the N is a much more stable platform than the F. And that's coming from a Merlin lover. Although they are really slow to build E, thats just a P-40 problem in general. the 1,500lbs of ords is a plus too. The -N is my new jabo
InGame: xRaptorx of the ***Alchemists***

Quote from: dirtdart
To suggest things that do not meet this basic criteria is equal to masturbation.  It may feel good to you, will not produce any tangible results, and you may be embarrassed if you get caught. 

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 02:54:14 PM »
Love them, love them, love them.   :aok  Thanks HTC.

Ya know, maybe another P-51 variant, definetley another B-17, and AH is sitting purty for that Red Tails movie comming out next year.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 05:46:42 PM »
Did some tests. Both a/c with 6 guns and max ammo. No shackles or DTs.

With both a/c carrying 148 gallons the N model is 369 lbs lighter. S.L. speeds MIL is 287 for the P-40N and 297 for the P-40F. So the F is 10mph faster. The F also has a very slight climb rate advantage in MIL, 100 fpm? This is assuming an equal armament and fuel load for both a/c.

WEP comparisons; the P-40N does 313 and the P-40F does 304. So the N is 9 mph faster. The N has @ 600 fpm climb rate advantage in that category, and of course retains its weight advantage.

So all that into account  in the dogfighter catgeory I think the N edges it out slightly with the lighter weight and better WEP #s. In the end it would be the load carried and the pilot that would decide it and I guess thats no surprise. From the data it does not appeear that either is vastly superior to the other. P-40 lovers will give both versions their share of fans and like them for different reasons. Its an interesting comparison.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24