Author Topic: new P40 skin  (Read 5292 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: new P40 skin
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2011, 11:36:54 PM »
worked on it for a couple hours today after reading your comments...thanx for all the input

Offline beau32

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2011, 12:22:33 AM »
Looks good ink.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

"There is always a small microcosm of people who need to explain away their suckage."

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2011, 12:48:36 AM »
Actually I don't think it has yellow leading edge ID stripes. That wasn't found on P-40s.

I think what you are seeing is the camo wrapping under the leading edge of the wing (vs stopping halfway down, it wrapped then stopped)

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2011, 01:28:16 AM »
Actually I don't think it has yellow leading edge ID stripes. That wasn't found on P-40s.

I think what you are seeing is the camo wrapping under the leading edge of the wing (vs stopping halfway down, it wrapped then stopped)

I find myself in agreement. Just doesn't seem like a thing that would be on a P-40. I could very well be wrong though.

HOWEVER. Looking at your reference image from page 1, it seems that there is a leading edge.
I saw it as yellow/gold at first, then dismissed it as camo. I looked closer and it appears to be about the same colour as
the edge of the roundel on the fuselage.

Upon further inspection, ^^^ the other two aicraft in your reference image don't appear to have that leading edge at all.

I think it could very well have been the contrast created by the sun lighting the top part of the wing and the shadows
underneath.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 01:34:41 AM by EskimoJoe »
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2011, 01:49:19 AM »
The weathering on the bottom of the plane is some of the best I've seen--looks really good Ink...
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2011, 02:43:09 AM »
The weathering on the bottom of the plane is some of the best I've seen--looks really good Ink...

:o

Thank You

some did some didn't from what I have read.

found a couple more shots of 112 sqn. p40's that had it. GA-V was not the only one.

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2011, 04:12:56 AM »
ink, i just cant like your skins. i mean don't get me wrong, their beautifully made. and your great at what you do. I just hate the amount of weathering on them.  :(

I guess im weird. I don't like so much weathering to the point that i think it ruins the looks of the nice skin.

But other than the weathering. wtg  :aok

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2011, 04:22:38 AM »
ink, i just cant like your skins. i mean don't get me wrong, their beautifully made. and your great at what you do. I just hate the amount of weathering on them.  :(

I guess im weird. I don't like so much weathering to the point that i think it ruins the looks of the nice skin.

But other than the weathering. wtg  :aok
Thank ya.....its all good man to each his own. :aok

me I love the look of a battle hardened plane....

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2011, 08:56:13 AM »
I like the weathering.  When a person looks at all the custom skins available the ones with a bit of weathering seem to be more realistic.  Not that the "perfect" skins are not eye catching, etc, but the weathered and war weary skins just have a bit more persona about them.

I like Ink's weathering, I say keep on doing it!   :aok
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2011, 12:40:08 PM »
I like the weathering.  When a person looks at all the custom skins available the ones with a bit of weathering seem to be more realistic.  Not that the "perfect" skins are not eye catching, etc, but the weathered and war weary skins just have a bit more persona about them.

I like Ink's weathering, I say keep on doing it!   :aok

Thank ya....I cant help it..... to me,   it has to look like that.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2011, 01:43:15 AM »
Ink, you keep using terms like "battle hardened" and "looks like it's really gone to WAR" but I can't help and nitpick that the two are not connected. Some of the most pristine rides have seen the worst kind of combat. Often front line fighter aircraft are given the most attention to keep them maintained and finished properly. You never knew when replacements could arrive, and the longevity of an airframe revolved around making sure it was repaired and repainted regularly...

While I don't agree with your weathering choices, I can overlook some of that. I just can't overlook the use of these kind of terms. They are misleading, I think.

As I said, a nitpick, but an honest one.

EDIT: As a side note, it does no disservice or dishonor to the people in the actual WW2 to skin these craft "normal" looking. Just sayin'...

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2011, 03:43:29 AM »
Ink, you keep using terms like "battle hardened" and "looks like it's really gone to WAR" but I can't help and nitpick that the two are not connected. Some of the most pristine rides have seen the worst kind of combat. Often front line fighter aircraft are given the most attention to keep them maintained and finished properly. You never knew when replacements could arrive, and the longevity of an airframe revolved around making sure it was repaired and repainted regularly...

While I don't agree with your weathering choices, I can overlook some of that. I just can't overlook the use of these kind of terms. They are misleading, I think.

As I said, a nitpick, but an honest one.

EDIT: As a side note, it does no disservice or dishonor to the people in the actual WW2 to skin these craft "normal" looking. Just sayin'...
.....forget it man

you just wont get it.

I suggested in the past you put me on ignore...making that suggestion once more :pray
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 03:45:38 AM by ink »

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2011, 04:08:39 AM »
I'm someone who tends to go heavy on weathering as well. Sometimes I will spend days seesawing between thinking I have too much or too little dirt and paint chips on a skin before finalizing it. To some extent I pick subjects that have photos that clearly show wear and tear, since I find the dirtying down process the most interesting bit of the skin.

You have to consider the environment the plane was operating in. Photos of planes operating in the desert war often show areas of paint sandblasted away, particularly those areas in the propwash and where mechanics operated. The paint is often bleached by the sun and oil and sand mix together to stain the undersides. The lack of paint on an airframe would be less of an issue than in say Europe where water might cause corrosion.

I can't see quite as much weathering in the photos of the plane as there is on this skin, but its often hard to tell from black and white photos. I've seen colour photos of desert based Spits that are this beaten up though, so I'd say this skin has a reasonable representation of the wear and tear of that theater.

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2011, 11:08:21 AM »

Maybe they were purple?

Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2011, 11:17:29 AM »
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -