Author Topic: 109s and Flaps  (Read 4787 times)

Offline HighGTrn

• Copper Member
109s and Flaps
« on: October 19, 2011, 02:57:18 PM »
All you 109 experts out there...

So does the use of flaps make a difference when maneuvering in a knife fight? Do you guys use them and if so, how? Also, I've seen the 109 do some pretty crazy stuff with rudders as well, mostly to evade or create overshoot (scissors, rolling scissors, barrel roll defense ect..) If you can touch on that, I'd appreciate it.

Oh yeah, someone told me that at near stall speed, use of engine torque is a mainstay tool as well.. Is that true?

Enlighten me.

Thanks.

S1n1ster
in game call sign: S1n1ster

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
Re: 109s and Flaps
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 03:01:01 PM »
yes, 109's flaps are necessary.
they add lots of drag, so pop them out when necessary, and pull them in when not. Also, they have 5 notches (I think) so pop out only enough to do what you need.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 09:28:27 PM »
Flaps and throttle work is key in 109's
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 09:32:33 PM »
109 flaps are as about as useless as a white crayon.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 09:51:57 PM »
The BIG musts on the 109 are throttle, trim, and flaps. You can't pop them out at anything past 200mph to help with your instananeous turn, but they are really helpfull with sustained turns.

P.S., I don't know why, but for some reason, HTC chose to use the max deployment speed for the LANDING setting, or fully deployed, as the max deployment speed for the combat flaps. Same with removing the 30mm from the 109G-6, they just kind of came at us with that one out of the blue.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 10:14:17 PM »
I'm REALLY far from these aces posting here but I do use flaps a lot in the 109
Remember 08/08/2012
 Youtube videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/raphael103/featured
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 10:25:44 PM »
The reason that 109's are so hard to master, is the sheer amount of throttle control you must use with one (especially as engine power went up).  The flap work is similiar to many other planes that have good useable flaps, the throttle work along with the flap work is what makes the 109 hard to fly at it's limits.  The F4U is a busier plane to fly correctly then the 109, but the 109 is a harder plane to fly at an equivelant level.  Stick time against a competent 109 guy that can teach, is the best way to learn it :aok

:salute
BigRat 
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 10:41:16 PM »
And everything thats being said here is the same with the 190. Hard to master, very hands-on aircraft requiring lots of managment of the throttle, trim, and flaps, but VERY rewarding to learn.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 01:43:55 AM »
Is what I am doing relevant to my opponent/situation? Thats all you need to know.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 08:32:23 PM »
Is what I am doing relevant to my opponent/situation? Thats all you need to know.

I like that question!  it is a very important question

I am not sure why all the emphasis on trim being "very important"  for flying the 109

set trim for it's level flight  top crusie speed ( top speed )  and leave it there........

what I find the most cumbersome to deal with when flying the 109's ( or the LA series , etc... ) are those damn slates

I hate slates, and enjoyed the 109's and LA's  much more before HTC( aces High )  coded the slates into the game.......

I agree on Throttle work, flap work  is something everyone should practice ( also known as E management practice )

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 09:57:59 PM »
I'm not an ace, but I've had a lot of time in the 109s and have learned much, thanks to pilots like Ardy123 and EAce, etc.
Personally I don't touch trim unless it's to deal with compression, just because my trims are set to anilog controls and they can be a real pain in the arsch to constantly fondle with. :joystick:

The leading slats are both a curse and a blessing, once you get useto them it's not so bad.

Flaps and throttle control is key for the 109, for any plane really, but it speaks volumes for the 109. The most important tool for the 109, besides the engine torque, is it's rudder. Make good use of that rudder to slow down or cut inside turns and to hammerhead/tailslide at the top of a rope can make magic happen. When you're slow, you're rudder is going to help you in verticle siccors by cutting back down at the enemy when nessisary, and your torque will help you roll back over more quickly. :cheers:
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 10:09:26 PM »
If I want to turn as hard as I can and get inside and tight I will get them down as quick as I can.  If I am trying to conserve E and do not need the additional edge for turning, then I keep them up or just 1-2 notches.  It's just all feel once you realize what you are actually trying to accomplish with your flap deployments.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 11:29:36 PM »
Trim is important (to me at anyrate) because you won't always be able to maintain your corner velocity. If you go over it, trim will keep you from feeling the effects of compression quite so much.

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 11:49:32 PM »
Trim is important (to me at anyrate) because you won't always be able to maintain your corner velocity. If you go over it, trim will keep you from feeling the effects of compression quite so much.
Trim in my opinion is point less, unless your compression, I just let the auto trim setting do its thing.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 11:52:18 PM »

did someone teach you this?  am curious as to your thinking this and your theory behind it???

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC