Author Topic: Heinkel 111 Variations  (Read 576 times)

Offline Grundle1

• Zinc Member
Heinkel 111 Variations
« on: October 23, 2011, 07:28:10 AM »
I'd like to ask HTC to remember that the He-111 was not only the Luftwaffe's most prolific level bomber, but also an aircraft that transported cargo, dropped paratroopers and attacked shipping with torpedoes.   If you decide to add the aircraft and want to maximize its use, then please consider including in-game options that allow for bombs, torpedoes, cargo/supplies and paratroopers.    I could see this aircraft being used like an axis C-47, or for regular bombing missions.   Also, please be sure to include the tail gun that was fitted, or retrofitted, to many aircraft.

I'd hate for you to go to the trouble of adding this important aircraft and then find it to be little used because of its vulnerability as a bomber in the MA.   If you follow my suggestions, you'll find that the aircraft will be useful in scenarios AND a regular sight in the main arenas.

Thanks very much.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 07:34:45 AM by Grundle1 »

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Heinkel 111 Variations
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 07:52:24 AM »
If you want "an Axis C-47", just wish for the Ju-52! It has been so long overdue that you may as well wish for that AND the He-111 on the same topic-- they could come in a combo pack :x

:D

Offline Grundle1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 07:56:47 AM »
I'd love to see "Iron Annie" added.   However, I think it will be some time coming.   I smell the He-111; many have been asking for it.   The purpose of the new topic was merely to aski HTC to include the loadout options and tailgun that will help to maximize the He-111's use in-game.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 07:59:51 AM »
Well the Ju 88 we already have is modelled as an A-4 bomber/A-17 torpedo bomber hybrid so I guess they would do the same with a He 111.

Not so sure about the cargo or paratrooper idea though. When did the He 111 drop paras and was it a regular thing or just a one off? Was cargo regularly dropped from He 111s or just unloaded at another airfield? There's plenty of bombers that were used that way as cargo aircraft, Lancs, B-29s, G4M etc. If you allow it for one, you should allow it for all. Also allowing cargo/troops on an armed bomber makes the C-47 pretty much obsolete.

There was a He 111 variant that carried a V-1 flying bomb as well. Can't think how that would be useful in the MA but thought I'd throw it in. Although that would give the Meteor something to do......  :D
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 08:06:41 AM by Greebo »

Offline Grundle1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 09:20:34 AM »
The He111 H20/R-1 was modified with a jump hatch to allow for the dropping of paratroops.   I don't think the Germans actually used paratroops in combat much after the debacle in Crete.

The He111 was used as a transport on the eastern front - particularly in the attempted relief on Stalingrad and the Demyansk pocket.  It was always a secondary role for the aircraft.   External cargo pods could be added to supplement interior space.  I'm not sure whether or not they would or could have been air-droppable.   If you read about the attempts to relieve Stalingrad,  you will find that the general practice was to fly transport aircraft  into the "'Kessel" where they were unloaded.  Anthony Beever's "Stalingrad" seems to indicate that the vast majority were JU-52s, however, other sources speak of bomber aircraft being used in relief.   According to "The Complete Luftwaffe" and many other sources, the aircraft reverted to a transport role late in the war.  There are many sources that make this simple statement, but I can't find a source that clearly details its use.  Perhaps others could advise here.

I accept your point that other bombers were used in a transport role.   However, I don't accept your point that HTC should allow a transport option for all.  It should be a case-by-case discussion. 

I'd certainly like to see some of the little-used bomber airframes get more main arena action.    Right now, base capture is a main focus of the game.   The use of C-47s as the only airborne transport is overly gamey.    If the JU-52 can't be added right now, then G4M and He-111 transports would be a reasonable compromize, IMHO.  I don't think that Lancasters were used extensively for transport ops during the war.   May I ask your source on that one?

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 10:16:17 AM »
The example that comes to mind is an RAF and USAAF food drop over the still occupied part of Holland in 1945 to relieve the starving civilian population using heavy bombers. IIRC the local German commander agreed to not shoot at the bombers and to not confiscate the supplies.

I don't think the He 111 or any other bomber should be able to parachute troops or supplies in the game if it did not do so in real life. An aircraft that transported supplies or troops to another airbase isn't the same thing at all. Allowing this would make transport aircraft redundant in the MA.

Offline 1Nicolas

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 11:56:15 AM »
If you want "an Axis C-47", just wish for the Ju-52! It has been so long overdue that you may as well wish for that AND the He-111 on the same topic-- they could come in a combo pack :x

:D
JU-52 STINKS! Another easy target with me and my P-40N

(My World Of Tank signature)
There are no great men, just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 12:38:35 PM »
before the war, there was an he-111c used for commercial airlines and later pressed into luftwaffe service as long range recon aircraft. then there was the low production he-111g that was used as vip transport.

he-111h-20/r1 could carry 16 paratroops and 3500lbs of cargo.
he-111h-20/r2 cargo and glider tug (replaced ju-52s)

can't find any photos of either version...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline SirFrancis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 01:13:37 PM »
before the war, there was an he-111c used for commercial airlines and later pressed into luftwaffe service as long range recon aircraft. then there was the low production he-111g that was used as vip transport.

he-111h-20/r1 could carry 16 paratroops and 3500lbs of cargo.
he-111h-20/r2 cargo and glider tug (replaced ju-52s)

can't find any photos of either version...

I only found this pic of paratroopers mounting H-111

‘CO2…makes the planet greener’

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 02:24:50 PM »
kinda makes you wonder, with so many variants having been produced, which one(s) would htc choose to model? could open a world of possibility if they modelled multiple versions...like they have with the spits. the -h20/r1 would eliminate the need/desire for a ju-52 in late war.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 04:57:37 PM »
A Battle of Britain and a 1943 version should cover it.  Para-troops should not be an option unless you want a perked He111.

The He111 was not the most prolific German bomber design as far more Ju88s were built.  I am not sure how many of those Ju88s were fighters though.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-