Author Topic: EAs "Origin" service...  (Read 1592 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: EAs "Origin" service...
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2011, 06:43:55 PM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 06:14:43 AM by Skuzzy »
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2011, 08:39:15 PM »
right to privacy goes out the window the moment you install their software.  you accept their eu whatever and you gave it up.

semp

Unfortunately I have to agree with semp...
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2011, 09:35:39 PM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 06:15:11 AM by Skuzzy »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2011, 11:22:09 PM »
That's a false claim that I'm sure the software companies exploiting you would like to defend.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2011, 11:23:43 PM »
right to privacy goes out the window the moment you install their software.  you accept their eu whatever and you gave it up.

semp

Just because they put what they WANT to do in the EULA, doesn't mean they are ALLOWED to do it. Problem is it wouldn't hold up in any court, but nobody can afford the lawyers to take on the big company saying "We wanna do this, you have to let us, we're set!"

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2011, 11:43:48 PM »
Just because they put what they WANT to do in the EULA, doesn't mean they are ALLOWED to do it. Problem is it wouldn't hold up in any court, but nobody can afford the lawyers to take on the big company saying "We wanna do this, you have to let us, we're set!"

then it goes back to they can do whatever they want as long as you agree to the eu whatever crap.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2011, 01:04:12 AM »
So skuzzy, are you saying you never play PC games anymore? What about this one?  :P

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2011, 02:07:22 AM »
That's a false claim that I'm sure the software companies exploiting you would like to defend.

No... thats a misconception you are making. Im not going to violate forum rules to prove the point though. It should be sufficient for you that there are tools and knowledge available to prevent a breach of your system or you can simply choose to not install the software. If you think that your data or personal information or even simple email is private and secure then you arent paying attention.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2011, 06:18:02 AM »
So skuzzy, are you saying you never play PC games anymore? What about this one?  :P

Did not say that.  Aces High is one of the few games I know I can trust not to screw with my computer or any of the data on it.  I also play a mean game of solitaire from time to time.

Folks, as much as I would like to see a discussion on what is private and what is not and so on, it cannot be done without wandering into the political realm.

...Why did i and I alone get rule 4'd?

The fact you do not know is why you will not last much longer on this board.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 06:19:54 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Fender16

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2011, 06:54:36 AM »
I find Origin totally useless and unneeded.
It does have some pros such as everything about the game is pretty much right there. Launching the games (of course), yours stats, friends, and a forum to complain about things.

Either way, Origin should not exist. I am not a fan of Steam either. PC gaming has gotten down right ridiculous over the span of 10 years.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2011, 11:33:24 AM »
Im not going to violate forum rules to prove the point

This did rather stray off topic...

Back on topic: What does it (Origin) actually do, and what will it do once they turn on the "transmit" subroutine later on?

Offline PuppetZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2011, 05:27:44 PM »
I've been reading through this topic with rather high interest. I'm specificaly interested in what kind of info they could gather about me that could possibly pose a "threat" to me? Or what could they use this info for? And why should I care? I mean, every single time I buy something with a credit card or a cash card, my location and buying habits are logged and compiled. Why should I be more worried about flash or EA or steam knowing what I look at on my computer? I'm not trolling, I truly want to know so I can forge an opinion on the matter.
LCDR. Frank 'PuppetZ' Perreault, Squadron intelligence officer

VF-17 Jolly Rogers
'Kids, you tried and failed miserably. The lesson is : never try'

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2011, 05:29:12 PM »
You guys are funny.  You do not mind Microsoft gathering information from your computer, nor Google, nor Facebook<snip>

so, i should probably uninstall google chrome?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2011, 06:40:15 PM »
This did rather stray off topic...

Back on topic: What does it (Origin) actually do, and what will it do once they turn on the "transmit" subroutine later on?

Origin is no more intrusive on your system than Steam is.  Both mine the same data on your machine (i.e. system specs, game usage, game stats, etc.) and both share this information with their respective partners but you can opt out by either sending them a snail mail letter or actually calling them to be removed from any mailing lists. 

The EULA has to conform to the consumer laws for each state, as well as their business practices.  In short...agreeing to the EULA does not surrender your rights as a consumer.

I find Origin totally useless and unneeded.
It does have some pros such as everything about the game is pretty much right there. Launching the games (of course), yours stats, friends, and a forum to complain about things.

Either way, Origin should not exist. I am not a fan of Steam either. PC gaming has gotten down right ridiculous over the span of 10 years.

Frankly, as a game launchpad Origin sucks.  It uses a game launcher to launch a website that then launches the game.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2011, 12:02:24 PM »
I agree with you there!

However it's been proven that EA searches the contents or your programs data folder. Every file, icons etc. Steam does not do this. EA is looking for more than just installed games. You also cannot opt out. They say explicitly, you MUST agree to it if you install their software. The original wording even said visiting their webpage (to READ the EULA before even installing Origin) meant you agreed to it as well. They're really reaching.

But they do actually scan your HD's ProgramData directory every time they start up. That's more than Steam for sure.

Somebody's test:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960869-battlefield-3/60145714