Author Topic: Climbrate/Speed charts available in flight  (Read 751 times)

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: Climbrate/Speed charts available in flight
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 02:30:37 PM »
machfly I sometimes wonder just how much flight time you have.

I sure as heck had performance information available when I was flying.  The POH for light aircraft covers it, fits in the map box and it just isn't that big of a deal to look something up even if you are the only pilot.

Sure, you "do the math" before takeoff but sometimes things change.   Weather moves in, the alternate goes to heck and you start working out where to go, how to get there and if you can get there.  All that math you did before the flight goes out the window as soon as things change, you better have the performance info where you can get to it.

If this is true the pilot is an idiot.

The POH is in the plane because it's required by the FAA and in case if I need it when I stop some where. I'm aint going to be reading it in flight, there are far more important things to do. If you have to take out the POH in flight you really screwed up at something. You fly the plane, scan for traffic, and look where your heading, you don't fly around with your head down and locked reading a book.

Regarding diversions you do that in your head. You know how much fuel you burn at that altitude and power setting, you know how much fuel you have left, and you can get the rest from the sectionals or low alt charts. There is absolutely no reason to get the POH if you need to divert.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 02:32:35 PM by MachFly »
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 09:17:01 PM »
You could always print them up...  :aok

I have a quick reference book I made. It has the speed and climb charts for each plane on one page, as acceleartion to 350mph or max speed hand-writen next to it's altitude on the climb chart.

Penetration charts for GV's, and a simplified armor thickness chart.

Tabs for GVs on the top, and planes on the side, countries are color coded.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline chaser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 09:11:54 AM »
+1. I would love to be able to look at my performance charts while up. But as mentioned earlier it should only be for the plane your in and not every plane.