Author Topic: M=18 Construction  (Read 1255 times)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: M=18 Construction
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 03:58:55 PM »
Yes, just don't go claiming that indirect hits will do anything.  You have to hit it with the shell.  If you hit the track the M-18 will lose the track, which makes the followup shot easy.

Hmm... I could have sworn I turreted an M18 with an HE shell from an M4/75mm the other day while in the LW MA, and not from a direct hit but from an impact just short of the M18.  The shot landed right at the base of the treads at the M18's 8 O'clock position (almost perfect side shot).  I'm quite positive I was the only one shooting at that M18 and there were no aircraft in the area at that time.  Perhaps the HE needs to be a certain "oomph" before there is enough damage available to do harm with a near-miss.  I know with the other lightly armored gv's (M8, M3, 251, jeep), a near miss with HE is all that is needed to do all but outright destroy it.   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 12:27:29 PM »
Hmm... I could have sworn I turreted an M18 with an HE shell from an M4/75mm the other day while in the LW MA, and not from a direct hit but from an impact just short of the M18.  The shot landed right at the base of the treads at the M18's 8 O'clock position (almost perfect side shot).  I'm quite positive I was the only one shooting at that M18 and there were no aircraft in the area at that time.  Perhaps the HE needs to be a certain "oomph" before there is enough damage available to do harm with a near-miss.  I know with the other lightly armored gv's (M8, M3, 251, jeep), a near miss with HE is all that is needed to do all but outright destroy it.   

Perhaps you forget the M-18 is made out of ->
JG 52

Offline chaser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 02:01:57 PM »
last time i checked every kill ive had using the M18 was a shoot n scoot maneuver. very few were rolling like you say. The M18 is better off ambushing and fast unseen maneuvering than what you say.
what you really wanna do is get in firing range and the flank. stop the Hellcat out of sight, take your shot. This improves the accuracy and usually one shot kills. Immediately displace and set up shop elsewhere. Dont go gunho into the fray shooting off rounds or the enemy will probably counter you fast enough to stop you no matter what theyre in.

That how I've got most of my kills in it. I drive up close in some trees or peaking over a hill and stop. After I shoot I'm back on the run. I have had several kills while I was at top speed. Most people still underestimate the speed it has and shoot behind you.

Any plane is a threat though and i think I've been turreted by planes more than I've been killed by tanks in it.

That being said its my ride now taking the place of my jeep  :devil

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 02:27:33 PM »
Perhaps you forget the M-18 is made out of ->
(Image removed from quote.)

Quite the contrary, I've been on the forefront in telling people that it is in fact very lightly armored.  I was countering someone's statement that the M18 can not be damaged with a near miss HE round.   :)
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.