Author Topic: Laptop Control Setup  (Read 895 times)

Offline master80

• Zinc Member
Laptop Control Setup
« on: September 03, 2013, 05:24:36 PM »
I just got a new gaming laptop over the weekend, but the problem is, (as all laptops do) have numpad. I have a Logitech joystick with a hat switch, and its ok, but what really irks me is I can't look up forward or back up. Plus can't change my RPM or reach zoom well. Anyone with a laptop or good suggestion please help? It's 10 times harder keeping my SA up. Thanks
~242nd Sloppy Terminators~
huh what happened

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
Re: Laptop Control Setup
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 06:21:55 PM »
I used the hat switch and a pinky button to look up.   It worked.

However,  if you've got $130,  get TrackIR.   
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 10:14:03 PM »
You can re-map any and all keys on your laptop in the game. Pick something that works for you and remap it.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 02:35:42 AM »
<snip>the problem is, (as all laptops do) have numpad.
What does that mean? Does your laptop have a numpad or doesn't it? Many laptops have one, many don't. If your laptop hasn't got one and you'd like to have one, cheap USB numpads are available. Or you can plug in a whole USB keyboard if you like.

However, as Triton and Fugi already mentioned, any button can be mapped to almost any task. Your post gives a hint you have found it difficult to reach the right side of the keyboard (numpad etc.) with your left hand because the stick is on the way... Since the days I bought my first joystick - a Logitech by the way - I have mapped one button in the base of the joystick to look straight up which in combination with the hat works in all directions in the up 45 deg angle. I've also mapped one button on top of the stick to look front up because that's where I look when I try to turn inside the opponent.

Am I understanding you correctly that you've been flying without a joystick until now? If so, you'd have to calibrate the throttle in AH to get the RPM working better than on-off. Problem in reaching zoom goes beyond my imagination. Z shouldn't be hard to reach with your right hand on the stick and left on the keyboard. Unless you mean adjusting the zoom or zooming on the clipboard map, the default buttons of which are on the right side of the keyboard.

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 03:00:50 AM »
I also play on a laptop and use the keyboard for views. Remapped all the views to the QWEASDZXC keys. This is a bit annoying since when my views were on the numbers pad, they were on the right side of the keyboard which allowed me to use the fingers for views and leave the thumb free to operate the throttle on my stick. With the WASD setup I need a little more dexterity.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline master80

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 08:41:54 AM »
What does that mean? Does your laptop have a numpad or doesn't it? Many laptops have one, many don't. If your laptop hasn't got one and you'd like to have one, cheap USB numpads are available. Or you can plug in a whole USB keyboard if you like.

However, as Triton and Fugi already mentioned, any button can be mapped to almost any task. Your post gives a hint you have found it difficult to reach the right side of the keyboard (numpad etc.) with your left hand because the stick is on the way... Since the days I bought my first joystick - a Logitech by the way - I have mapped one button in the base of the joystick to look straight up which in combination with the hat works in all directions in the up 45 deg angle. I've also mapped one button on top of the stick to look front up because that's where I look when I try to turn inside the opponent.

Am I understanding you correctly that you've been flying without a joystick until now? If so, you'd have to calibrate the throttle in AH to get the RPM working better than on-off. Problem in reaching zoom goes beyond my imagination. Z shouldn't be hard to reach with your right hand on the stick and left on the keyboard. Unless you mean adjusting the zoom or zooming on the clipboard map, the default buttons of which are on the right side of the keyboard.

Sorry, meant to say they don't have numpads. Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I will try out on Friday.

~242nd Sloppy Terminators~
huh what happened

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 09:06:36 AM »
One other thing worth mentioning.  Many, many laptops have custom scan codes assigned to the keys.  Those keys will not be recognized by the game, unless you use the "Fix Key" button in Options->Controls->Map Keys.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Wayout

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 09:55:05 AM »
For about 10 bucks you can buy an external keypad that plugs into a USB port.
  For most people the sky is the limit.  For a pilot the sky is home.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 03:20:40 PM »
I used the hat switch and a pinky button to look up.   It worked.

However,  if you've got $130,  get TrackIR.   

Track IR and a laptop?  o... k...

For about 10 bucks you can buy an external keypad that plugs into a USB port.

I would recommend this if you can't find a satisfactory way to remap your keys.  I suspect you take your laptop with you during the day, but have it with you at home at night and want to play?  Keep an external keypad (or go with a fancy throttle quadrant) with your joystick.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 03:23:07 PM »
Track IR and a laptop?  o... k...

You do know laptops have USB ports, right?
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 03:26:53 PM »
You do know laptops have USB ports, right?

You do know how track IR works, right?

I doubt the OP wasted money on a mobile platform if they didn't need it to be mobile.
-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 03:33:16 PM »
You do know how track IR works, right?

I doubt the OP wasted money on a mobile platform if they didn't need it to be mobile.

Of course I do.  I wouldn't have suggested it if I didn't.  

Since when did TrackIR have to be bolted to the floor?  It's even shipped in a package that resembles something a pair of headphones would be in.  I play AH on a laptop and use TrackIR.  I'm not a traveling salesman, so my laptop is on my desk plugged into a larger monitor when I play, but there's no reason at all you can't use TrackIR with just the laptop.
      -AoM-

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 03:43:38 PM »
Of course I do.  I wouldn't have suggested it if I didn't.  

Since when did TrackIR have to be bolted to the floor?  It's even shipped in a package that resembles something a pair of headphones would be in.  I play AH on a laptop and use TrackIR.  I'm not a traveling salesman, so my laptop is on my desk plugged into a larger monitor when I play, but there's no reason at all you can't use TrackIR with just the laptop.

Why not just have a more affordable and capable desktop for the same price or less then if you always play at the same location?  This also lessens the workload/wear on your laptop and increases its lifetime (laptop breaks down at work/school you still have AH to play tonight, or if it breaks while playing AH, you still have a platform to use at work/school tomorrow).

My point being he may not be playing AH on a laptop at the same physical location day after day, in which case it's a pretty BFD with track IR when IE: yesterday you were looking down at your monitor on a desk that was 8" shorter.  Most people I know who like TrackIR and use it successfuly have invested a good amount of time and effort into setting them up and calibrating them relatively precisely.  That might get annoying to adjust repeatedly if he isn't in the same place everynight.
-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 04:07:17 PM »
Why not just have a more affordable and capable desktop for the same price or less then if you always play at the same location?  This also lessens the workload/wear on your laptop and increases its lifetime (laptop breaks down at work/school you still have AH to play tonight, or if it breaks while playing AH, you still have a platform to use at work/school tomorrow).

I have no idea why he wants to play with a laptop.  Maybe he travels.  For me, the laptop was purchased when my household had two incomes and no AH addiction.  Now it has one income and an AH addiction.  I had a lovely, albeit small "found money" situation that came up so I sprang for TrackIR.     

My point being he may not be playing AH on a laptop at the same physical location day after day, in which case it's a pretty BFD with track IR when IE: yesterday you were looking down at your monitor on a desk that was 8" shorter.  Most people I know who like TrackIR and use it successfuly have invested a good amount of time and effort into setting them up and calibrating them relatively precisely.  That might get annoying to adjust repeatedly if he isn't in the same place everynight.

90% of the fiddling with your TrackIR setup is finding/tweaking the software profile that suits you.  Physically adjusting the hardware isn't hard.  Sure, it's better if you can leave it in one place, but the software shows you were your IR dots are so reconfiguring it for a new location would be as simple as calibrating your joystick.  If I were to go on the road and want to play AH, my TrackIR would be brought along.  I don't even like thinking about playing without it now.

-AoM-

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 04:21:14 PM »
That would be nice if it was only as difficult as calibratng your joystick.  I've tried Track IR a long time ago, one of the first generations I believe and it was very "finiky", if I remember the instructions it even involved some measurement and math  :confused:  .  Still don't think I'd try a newer generation, not because it's easier to settup and use, but after the first experience I feel like it restricts your head, can't stretch or bob it to music.  I'm compfy with my settup.
-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.