Author Topic: Interesting little tool for the BF-109?  (Read 3611 times)

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
Re: Interesting little tool for the BF-109?
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2011, 04:12:42 PM »
The photo is labeled "August 1941" on the image, and the filename includes "Russland Flugzeug Me 109 des JG 54 Wartung" or "Russia Airplane Me 109 of JG 54 Maintenance".

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2011, 04:30:57 PM »
You don't think they adjusted the site in the cockpit to match up with the strike point of the cannon?

After reading Bustr's post it's evidently so,I knew the cannon was fixed/no adjustment but wasnt sure whether or not the sight was adjusted to match the cannon or if it was predetermined at the factory.

The blast tube is 55 mm inside dia. which is roughly 2 inches plenty of room for a 20mm at just over 3/4 of an inch but a 30mm is almost 1 and1/4 inches and then you have the outside dia. of the barrel so that leaves little room for error. As Bustr also said,they had issues with "fliers" striking the tube,with the short barrel on the Mk108 I would think that would be of great consern as opposed to the longer 20mm barrel.

:salute

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2011, 05:41:24 PM »
The Refelxvisier gunsight was adjusted to center at a point on a diagram at 50M or 100M. The ReviC/12 C has an internal screw that tilts the refelctor plate. The Revi16b has an internal screw to tilt a mirror. The adjustment was about 3 degrees. The large diameter of the airscrew shaft is to account for random flyers and other known issues that will cause an explosive round to fly off center.

The gun system and Revi sight line is keyed off the Motorkanon because its fixed in place. Thats why in the gunnery diagrams the visier linie line is also shown and what its drop in cm should be at each distance relative to the motorkanon.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2011, 08:33:48 PM »
It's called a Muzzle Boresite Device, and it is used to ensure that all weapon systems are adjusted to hit the same point of aim.

The same system is still used today for armored vehicles...like the M1 tank. Each caliber of weapon has it's own Boresite Device, and each weapon gets boresited separately as part of the system.

Here is a link to a portion of the manual that describes the process for an M1 Tank: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/17-12-7/ch11.htm

CptA

YES! Like my laser rifle bore-sight tool, but with optics. This is why I said logically, I believe the center barrel had very little if any adjustment, & that the outer guns were converged to intersect the bore gun. How else could you adjust the bore gun without adjusting the motor mounts...? this bore-sight was to align the target paper in position for to then align the other guns.  :salute
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 08:36:19 PM by W7LPNRICK »
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2011, 01:13:03 PM »
Notice in the Bf109G pictures the triangle that represents the (Visier Linie) or the adjusted line of sight for the Revi gunsight. It is set to angle down to a negative value below the aircraft center line at 400M because of the fixed Motorkanon. The Bf109E is set level to the horizon and the guns are adjusted to fire up to intersect it than drop back down to it by 400M.

Note: In the 109G diagram the center for the Revi is 74.5cm above the centerline of the Motorkanon angling down to 5cm above that line at 100m.

Bf109G 5/6 Armeors convergence diagrams.

Impact Points and Visier Linie Points.

Ballistics and Visier Linie.

North Africa Bf109E Convergence adjustments.

Firing the wing guns at 50m.

Results on convergence diagram.

Armerors Adjustment Page.

Ballistics and Visier Linie.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2011, 01:31:04 PM »
Great pictures and diagrams bustr  :salute
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2011, 02:43:44 PM »
Great pictures and diagrams bustr  :salute
Yep :aok

Did not think this thread was going to this interesting.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2011, 06:32:18 PM »
Yep :aok

Did not think this thread was going to this interesting.

Oh c'mon Lyric,you post a pic of a German with a dewhicky looking into a thingamabob and you dont think it will be interesting???? :devil

Bustr,thats a great pic of the ammour's target! :aok  you can clearly see the dispersion pattern,looks alot like it does ingame!!

:salute