Author Topic: Help needed with wingtip navigation lights…  (Read 3328 times)

Offline G0ALY

• Nickel Member
Help needed with wingtip navigation lights…
« on: October 30, 2011, 06:05:18 PM »
Hello, I have a left wingtip from a T-6 Texan that I want to display with working navigation lights. My question is, Why would this wingtip be set up for two individual lights? Would they both be red and one strobes? Or could one be clear?

I’m looking around, mostly on ebay, and it looks like Whelen or maybe Grimes lights would work. Any ideas?

Thanks
My password at work had to contain exactly 8 characters… I chose Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
Re: Help needed with wingtip navigation lights…
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 06:45:24 PM »
normally strobes are white, but atleast one of those lights would be red. Bodhi would know exactly
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline G0ALY

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 06:54:50 PM »
I knew the light should be red. In fact the guy who gave me the wingtip also gave me a red glass lens. But none of the other hardware for the light.

I just noticed while looking at the photo, that there is a hole in middle of the area of the second light. Perhaps from a rivet that was removed? Maybe the second light was an addition?
My password at work had to contain exactly 8 characters… I chose Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 06:59:59 PM »
well i was a smart boy and did my research, i looked up the T-6 wingtip lights and saw quite a few pics of it with only one light (meaning the second one could quite possibly be an addition) on it, and it was either white or red. i saw very few blue ones.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 07:01:03 PM »
The proper color for a navigation light on the left side is red
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 07:16:23 PM »
I'm thinking the 2 holes are for the wiring, when the lights are attached it should look like one. Given that it's a left wing you'd have a red nav light in front and a strobe behind it. Some aircraft also have white nav light behind the strobe, but that's not required.

Examples:

« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 07:24:37 PM by MachFly »
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline G0ALY

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 08:05:42 PM »
I believe the wingtip is set up for two separate light units. You can see the individual teardrop profiles. Each profile also has three mounting holes. Very similar to the holes in this wingtip light base.

The two large holes would be for the sockets that the bulbs go into. Everything seems to line up.

Also, the single unit that you are referencing seems awfully new for a T-6. Thanks though!

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 08:12:55 PM »
Yeah my pictures were a little new, I just wonted to give you an idea of it's supposed to look like.

The the 2 holes are indeed for separate light units, what are you going to have 6 lights on the wingtip? what for?
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 08:34:28 PM »
Hello, I have a left wingtip from a T-6 Texan that I want to display with working navigation lights. My question is, Why would this wingtip be set up for two individual lights? Would they both be red and one strobes? Or could one be clear?

(Image removed from quote.)

I’m looking around, mostly on ebay, and it looks like Whelen or maybe Grimes lights would work. Any ideas?

Thanks

are you sure that is from a texan? Ive flown them, but the ones i flew only had one Nav light.

Warbirds for the most part dont have strobes by design. If they do, then that is from the owners own doing.
119th Riffle Tank Regiment leader -Red Storm Krupp Steel Scenario

Active Member of Air Heritage Inc. http://airheritage.org/

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 08:38:13 PM »
post deleted
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 08:44:03 PM by MachFly »
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 08:58:43 PM »
Most warbirds don't have any lights at all, right?
Incorrect. Most American aircraft (at least) had some sort of Nav/recognition lights on the wings, Landing Lights and Formation lights. However, None that i have seen ever had strobe lights (pulsing white lights), which is why when i said if they had them, it had to have been done by the private owner.

This got me curious about specifics on WWII aircraft, so i did a little searching on the net to see about aircraft other than the P-47, P-51, P-39, B-25, B-17, T-6, A-20H which i have all been arround or have looked through the photo logs of our previous aircraft.

this site seemed to have a good bit of knowledge on the subject. I found it quite interesting and it backed up my above statement
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/recognitiion-lights-11908.html
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 09:00:29 PM by flight17 »

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 10:02:30 PM »
Incorrect. Most American aircraft (at least) had some sort of Nav/recognition lights on the wings, Landing Lights and Formation lights. However, None that i have seen ever had strobe lights (pulsing white lights), which is why when i said if they had them, it had to have been done by the private owner.

This got me curious about specifics on WWII aircraft, so i did a little searching on the net to see about aircraft other than the P-47, P-51, P-39, B-25, B-17, T-6, A-20H which i have all been arround or have looked through the photo logs of our previous aircraft.

this site seemed to have a good bit of knowledge on the subject. I found it quite interesting and it backed up my above statement
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/recognitiion-lights-11908.html

Yeah I realized that some time after I made the post. That's why I deleted the post with the hopes that you would not notice it.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 05:01:06 PM »
Yeah I realized that some time after I made the post. That's why I deleted the post with the hopes that you would not notice it.
lol ya, i wrote the first part then got curious and came back and finished with the second posted then saw you deleted it lol...

Online lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 05:39:45 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks

As a former Grimes employee I am pretty sure you will be able to fit something in there from that place. A lot of the new aircraft flying today still use the same lights from WWII. They are now owned by Honeywell. Call & ask for the marketing department they should point you in the right direction.  :aok

https://commerce.honeywell.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NECategoryDisplay?catalogId=10251&storeId=10651&categoryId=53435&langId=-1

Online lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 05:53:27 PM »
I knew the light should be red. In fact the guy who gave me the wingtip also gave me a red glass lens. But none of the other hardware for the light.

I just noticed while looking at the photo, that there is a hole in middle of the area of the second light.
Has the glass have a raised Grimes name on it? Or stamped on the glass edge.

Two slightly different lights most likely one with the hole would be for the original light & the second was added later for what ever purpose. Due to a better design no hole was needed as the wires & mountings are all one piece.

At a best guess.
Or just a screw hole in the wing,rivet like you said?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 05:55:38 PM by lyric1 »