Author Topic: P51-B-26th FS/51st FG????  (Read 1714 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
P51-B-26th FS/51st FG????
« on: November 14, 2011, 06:56:12 PM »

I was under the impression that this was Tex hill's 51 b, but the more reading I do, I am finding he may have just posed with this plane and may have flown it on occasion......(anyone know the truth of the story?)

here is my rendition of this 51B.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: P51-B-26th FS/51st FG????
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 08:01:14 PM »
Impressive!  However, you must not have received the memo on not doing any more P51 skins until the P40's are well represented, eh?  ;) 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
I don't like the way you do the metal. It doesn't quite seem.... "natural" -- and mind you I find it hard to put in words why, and exactly what a solution might be. Maybe it's just that the amount and the pattern don't seem right. Especially the part where a line of speckled chipping will just follow a panel line for no reason (see the gun bays, see aileron/flap lines).

In regards to the details: See here for a little debate about some of the minor details, including the serial number:

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aircraft-picture-requests/tex-hills-p-51b-mustang-4403.html

There are differing thoughts on some things like if the eyes are red or black. Looking at the photos I think they are black, and the supposed different color is really just where that next panel makes a dog-leg kink and reflects light differently. However, don't forget the stripes on the tail! Most sources seem to show a variation of them:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/%2522tex%20hill%2522%20%2522p-51%2522/280163/P-51B.jpg

In regards to the amount of chipping: There doesn't seem to be nearly as much paint loss. Just around some of the key engine panels. Right around the canopy where folks lean against the frame, maybe as they kick and scrambled to get the cowling off that's how the forward section lost that much paint on the port side. The rest of the tail wouldn't just flake off unless people were kicking and stomping on it, and it's not a walkable area, and it's not an area that would receive wear and tear. Not like that.

See here (HUGE photo! You've been warned!)
http://www.nostalgicaviation.com/Hill%20Tex%20on%20P-51%20wing%20root%20climbing%20in%20cockpit689.jpg

And a different photo here:
http://media.photobucket.com/image/%2522tex%20hill%2522%20%2522p-51b%2522/LWMTC1/Hill002a.jpg

I also think that the leading edges are not paint chipping and metal showing through, but rather yellow or white stripes wearing off and green showing through. This is the exact spot those stripes were located. They would be field applied and more susceptible to wear than factory applied finishes. You don't see much actual paint chipping outside of the panels immediately by the wing root and the removable engine compartments. There is no chipping on the underside greys of most US planes. Maybe it was the quality of the grey paint or the fact that it's upside down so nobody is stepping on it all day, nobody is dropping panels on it as they remove them, etc.

I'm going to be critical of your underside dirt, but please forgive me it's constructive criticism...

The underside looks like it took a belly flop into a mud pool. In fact I've seen photos of P-51s that bellied in and they don't look that muddy! It doesn't look right. How it would look right: If the splashes were specific to the wheel areas, and the "throw off" zones of spinning tires. It is also just a blurry shade of brown, which is too vague IMO. You would get a better weathering effect if it was more specific weathering. Instead of a blanket area, smaller areas of specific weathering layered on each other. I.e. oil around key points you've seen oil leaking from on the real deals, dirt throw-up from the tires, under the tail as well ,but not the doors, they would be open and the insides would get muddy! (this might be interesting but I've never seen a plane where the mud was "masked" slightly where the doors canted outwards). Oil or chipping around the bomb racks which might see more banging while being serviced. Things like the making the screw-down bolts of the removable engine panels stick out on the underside (give them a little "pop" against the grey belly color). Oil dripping (or even just semi-translucent dark liquid) out of the radiator duct exhaust panel lines.

That's just a laundry list of suggestions to improve it, off the top of my head. I think you can't go wrong with actual real-war examples. However, one thing you need to change is the materials.txt file. It's somewhat shiny, and not befitting a more worn aircraft (which ought to be more dull?). See if you can pull the materials.txt from the G4M1 Betty or B-25H Mitchell default. That might be a good fit.

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 09:42:20 PM »
We already have a sharkmouth p51B in-game, and the way the top-part weathering is, it makes it look like the plane is nothing more but the other p51B skin thats been covered in brown paint.

Maybe make it just a bit darker grey? Only thing that bugs me about it.  :salute

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 10:52:44 AM »
Same Tex Hill that flew with the AVG?
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 03:22:46 PM »
Same Tex Hill that flew with the AVG?

yup :aok

Krusty....look at the very top pic I posted....there are no yellow stripes on the tail, they were never on this plane.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 03:25:02 PM by ink »

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 07:12:53 PM »
Impressive!  However, you must not have received the memo on not doing any more P51 skins until the P40's are well represented, eh?  ;) 

:lol

I got more P 40's in the works :aok