Author Topic: Bf-109G6 Eria-Haube canopy  (Read 618 times)

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
Bf-109G6 Eria-Haube canopy
« on: November 03, 2011, 09:37:29 AM »
I've been doing some research on the Bf-109G-6 and discovered the Eria-Haube canopy for the G-6 and beyond. Basically, the view in the 109 is pretty rough, numerous cross bars in the way. A canopy manufacturer developed, tested and fielded a canopy with much better vision. This canopy was fielded and saw extensive service from 1943 onward, as best I can tell.

What are the chances we can get this canopy added to the G-6, G-14 and K-4, as actually happened? And of course, always open to hearing I need to be corrected.

I should add, I have pictures of this canopy on frontline aircraft though do not know how to post pictures on this board.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
Re: Bf-109G6 Eria-Haube canopy
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 09:39:07 AM »
I've been doing some research...

Cite your sources please.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 09:43:10 AM »
Have you actually taken a look at what we have in-game? We have it where it applies.

It does not apply to our G-6, though. "G-6" is a vague term and spans many different configurations. We have a 1943 variant for better planeset distribution and better scenario/setup planning. Our G-14 is more comparable to a late G-6.

The G-14 and K-4 already have this.

Might want to make sure it's not already in-game before requesting?  :P

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 09:48:48 AM »
Two sources, second is Wikipedia under Gustav improvements. First source is JG26: Photographic History of the Luftwaffe's Top Guns by Donald L Caldwell. Publisher Motorbooks International, copyrighted 1994. Page 128. After reading this with minimal information I googled and found a source in German and the Wiki reference, I don't read German thus the Wiki.

I semi-understand that "G-6" is a term used to cover many modified versions of the Gustav though this clearly shows the G-6 having it. More research I suppose. And you are certain this is already in game? In my views I see no difference.

Thanks for the response.
Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 09:52:15 AM »
Them saying "a G6 has it" is also vague. SOME G-6's had it. Many more did not. It was more common later, but you still found the squared canopy on a high % of G-6s. Erla was only one of the factories, remember.

Yes, we have it in-game now.

G-6 squared:

G-14 Erla Haube:

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 11:11:26 AM »
Good to know and thanks for taking the time to educate, with pictures no less.

Boo
 :salute