Author Topic: 50% white flag  (Read 870 times)

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
Re: 50% white flag
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 08:20:15 PM »
100% of the town down and remove the ack guns.  Then move the towns farther away from the field.  And then double or triple the ack available at the airfield.  Keep the fight over town and away from the base.  The towns would then become a neutral meeting place for combat.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 08:53:54 PM »
100% of the town down and remove the ack guns.  Then move the towns farther away from the field.  And then double or triple the ack available at the airfield.  Keep the fight over town and away from the base.  The towns would then become a neutral meeting place for combat.

I like this. But I think the town should still have [some] ack and anything between 75-95% is better than 100% or 50%. At least 3/4 of town must be destroyed, imo, but 100% would be a pain. Let the attackers be able miss just five or six buildings at least.

Having a tougher field would mean less vulching and missions to destroy it will have to come from real altitude, either level bombing or real dive bombing that actually requires skill. But ack huggers will be much safer  :headscratch:, there's a downside imo  :devil

My .02, +1 though!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 08:58:28 PM by GNucks »

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 09:31:20 PM »
Pretty sure. There used to be more contrast in the colors. Now they kind of.... well not exactly "blend in" but they do start looking more alike. When you're low you can tell what's up and what's down, but when you have any alt (as in the safe alt to begin a dive bomb, or say 10k+ safe alt to level bomb) it's not so obvious. When looking at the town from a bombsight, for example, you often can't tell what's up or down because the bomb craters are rendered behind the objects or something funny... Not sure, maybe it has to do with "tearing" or Z buffer or something. Many's the time I've dropped bombs on the center when in the bombsight only to get nothing. I loop back lower and see the town is already mostly ripped apart, and not from my drop either.

I agree that it was easier to tell, but why does everything have to be easier?

I think bombing the towns are more challenging now than they were before, and that makes it more fun to me. It is not THAT hard to get the town to white flag as it is. Again, why make things easier?

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 04:00:22 AM »
100% of the town down and remove the ack guns.  Then move the towns farther away from the field.  And then double or triple the ack available at the airfield.  Keep the fight over town and away from the base.  The towns would then become a neutral meeting place for combat.

I'm kinda torn on this, and agree it has the potential for runner to have even more ack to run and hide in.  Besides, the legitimate targets in battle would be military targets.  Factories, supply lines, and bases.  The towns have traditionally been, the HTC land capture "vehicle".  So, instead of storming the tower and gaining control of the instruments of command, we flatten an entire village to find our way to the bunker holding the maps and strategic plans, so the military personel on the base give up and vacate.  :rolleyes:

Maybe there could be more tools given to custom arenas to allow alternative structures to act as the "maproom", or give alternative win the war variables instead of % of fields owned.  Then let the players decide from their custom setups which are more appealing.

This will be my mission this month to have a custom arena setup for Late Off Hours play.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 12:50:24 PM »
I agree that it was easier to tell, but why does everything have to be easier?

I think bombing the towns are more challenging now than they were before, and that makes it more fun to me. It is not THAT hard to get the town to white flag as it is. Again, why make things easier?

Some would prefer a switch where they could vote a terrain off like some dance show. lol
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 08:38:36 AM »
just make it 0%

all the grabber squads can just fly out all over the map in c47's and get that map won quick.  :aok
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 04:20:17 AM »
That practically was exactly what went on with P113 for the last 3 days.  I have killed more goons in the last 2 days at that port alone than all of last month  :rofl  2 last tour and 3 already  :aok