Author Topic: Specular map question  (Read 537 times)

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
Specular map question
« on: May 23, 2012, 07:18:35 AM »
Please correct me if i am wrong.

To create a Specular map, essentually i need just 3 layers: a base black layer, an middle layer of the aeroplane outline, and a top layer for the multiple shades of white.

So using the middle layer I paint the various parts of the plane in shades of white. When Im finished, I can make the middle layer invisible and save the white on black as a bmp.

So in essense it is a black bmp with various shades of white painted on, there is no need to have the out line of the plane on it.?

Thanks

JR
p.s im away for a few days, and cant access HTC from the hotel.therefore cant reply.
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Re: Specular map question
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 09:41:36 AM »
The way I go about creating a spec map is like this:
Use the default spec map to create the new file. Load it into your graphics program and save to its format. The default spec map has the items like gear and cockpit parts that most people don't skin so this will form your base layer. Next open your skin's bmp file in your graphics program and copy and paste it as a new layer. This layer is just used to line the other layers up correctly and is turned off once the spec map is done.

Then you can import layers directly from your base skin. The base paint layer, the panel lines, paint chips, chipped rivets and so on. Bare metal skins have a light base layer and then a dark paint markings layer on top. I usually add the gun, exhaust and oil stains as a dark layer, you can see this well in the new Stuka screenshots, on the wingroot. Dont try to cram everything onto a few layers, it is much easier to edit if every effect is on its own layer. On a spec map i usually end up with about 20 or 30 layers. Most of these are just copy and pasted from the base skin though.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:43:09 AM by Greebo »

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
Re: Specular map question
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 10:41:19 AM »
Thanks for the answer Greebo, thats a lot  of information.

Cheers
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix