Author Topic: 190-F rocket gunsight?  (Read 846 times)

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
190-F rocket gunsight?
« on: November 11, 2011, 04:36:06 PM »
i have heard that some people have made a gunsight for the 190-F and its 12 rockets. does anyone have this? i guess we used it in an event one time. if so could you please post it so i could try it out? thank you.

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: 190-F rocket gunsight?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 04:56:48 PM »
I know i have one, but i have no idea where it is. if i find it ill put it up.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 06:22:31 PM »
Rocket sight???  Bah!  Thats for gurls! 

Here are a few hints:

#1> The F-8 fires rockets in this order 2 left, 2 right, and so forth.  Fire a single rocket or a salvo of 2, any more and you are wasting ammo.  The second hint tells you why.
#2> Remember that rockets fire stright off the wing with no convergence.  The rockets only have a trajectory, nothing else. So with that in mind aim are the RIGHT side of the tank for the first 2 rockets, then LEFT side for the second pair, etc.  The wing mounts for the rockets are wider than a tank is wide, and not all that much different than a tank is long.  So come at it from the side if at all possible.
#3> Dive at 45 degrees and fire at no futher than 400 yards out.  The real deal fired rockets between 200 and 250 yards out against Soviet tanks so the modeling is as real as it gets.
#4> The Pb1 rockets on the 190F-8 are the only AP rockets in AH.  The British 3in/60lb rockets are a "semi-AP" (SAP), and everything else is of a HE type.  So use the Pb1 rockets sparingly and dont waste your time with some fancy sight that claims to aim the rockets for you.  Just remember 1,2,3, and practice practice practice.   :aok     
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline FBCrabby

• Nickel Member
      • AHFreebirds.com
AH-Freebirds.com - FB$ - Proud Squadron Of Aces High II

Actively Recruiting! - Join FB$ Today!

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 07:04:59 AM »
Crabby please toss me the keys. Username and PW needed.

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 08:21:53 AM »
Here's the sight I made a few years ago.

I don't use it any more since HTC updated the sight graphics, I prefer using the historically correct sights now. But as SmokinLoon said it's not about the sight but repeated practice.

The other thing, I prefer a shallower approach at a steady 300 mph than what Loon said. I have a much higher hit percentage this way, but it is a more dangerous approach.

Good luck!
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 08:37:55 AM »
Baumer how's Mr Ghosth these days? Haven't seen him in ages.

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 10:09:22 AM »
He's doing well, he's retired from Aces High and enjoying other games at the moment. I hope he comes back but it's hard to say, perhaps as winter drags along in ND he'll get the urge to fly again.
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 01:44:41 PM »
Here is a package of Reflexvisier 3, 12D, 16b gunsights. They are as close to the specifications in the Reflexvisier manuals and real photos that I can make them. Copy all files bmp and mil to your \Sights directory. Gunsights are in 512x512 so they need the associated mil files.

http://www.mediafire.com/?me17vs2kfe2499m

How to tell the difference between a Revi C/12D gunsight and a Revi16b in the game. The Revi C/12D has a rectangular reflector plate. The Revi16b's reflector plate has clipped upper corners along with a visible vertical iron sight prong on the left top of it's box. The only Revi3 gunsight in the game is in the Finnish Brewster.

I have modified an extra Revi16b slightly to make it easier to use in the game with the PB1 rockets. In WW2 it was used as is. Set salvo for 2. Dive in from 2-3K alt and fire when tank is lined up from the appropriate distance.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 04:26:54 PM »
The thing about coming in at a 45 degree angle or slightly steeper angle is that te trajectory is minimal, if at all.  If you come in shallow then you automatically make trajectory an issue.  By giving the rockets the benefit of gravity, it only helps accuracy.  The only concern is that if the 190F-8 does not have enough E it is veyr easy to dip that left wing and eat dirt when trying to pull out of that dive. 

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 06:39:55 PM »
I start from about 3k out picking up speed as I close in. By the time I'm at 1.5K icon for the GV the plane is solid and I have good speed to pull out and leave. It works from 1k alt also starting your dive in from about 2-3K out. I know about the wing dip and is why I don't try to jack a 190F around much once commited to a rocket run.

The germans made the rockets work with the Revi16b and the original stadia marks. I simply modifyed the original gunsight slightly to make seeing objects on the ground easier in the game's universe. Sorry I don't have a bright neon gamey aimybot gunsight with shoot here flashing squares, circles, triangles and nude mudflap girls and mooning cheeks pointing at the sweet spot in it.

I'm with Baumer about gunsights.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline ap1102

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 06:27:35 AM »
I use the rockets sparingly on enemy armor with the exception of wirbles. I mostly use the 190F8 for deacking vbases. I usually can deack in 3 passes. I try to get the manned acks on the first pass. Then the fast firing auto acks. The rest is simple. I use the bottom pipper on the default reticle as my aim point and come in a little steeper on the inital drop to let mr gravity help in my aim. 190f8 is certainy formidable in this role.