Author Topic: A Few Thoughts About Realism  (Read 1772 times)

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
Re: A Few Thoughts About Realism
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2011, 12:10:59 PM »
With regards to the icon ranges for GV's, I'd like to see HTC go to a very generic icon and have the ranges reduced.  Even more so than the air to air 6000 yard identifier, the 2000 air to ground icon identifier should be reduced in 2 ways, imo.  First, reduce it down to from 2000 yards to 1200-1500 yards.  

it already is 1500 yds for gv's.

and 6000 yds is 3.4 miles.

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2011, 12:11:41 PM »
For the repair on refuel part... Yeah, that might work.. But for the realism part the repairs should take about as long as they would in real life.. Or atleast longer time the more badly beat up your ride is, make you really have to want it badly.. Not just a bonus part on refuel..
TheStig

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2011, 12:19:29 PM »
i don't think a gv'er should be able  to see the enemy gv's  icon,it would take the supprise factor completey out of the game.and turn gv'ing very boring..leave them as they are.that would be like playin a console game and having the cheat code for invincabilty.who wants  that.besides you can read who killed you and respawn and go afer him/her.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2011, 01:08:27 PM »
it already is 1500 yds for gv's.

and 6000 yds is 3.4 miles.

Yes, my bad.  I didnt proof read before posting (the icon range is always rounded up to the next set value).  When the icon says 600 that means the target is between 400 and 600 yards, etc.  The air to ground icon range is 1500 yards (1.5k represented).  I say to reduce it to 1000 yards and then minimize the info. The 1000 yard "TRK" (for treads), or "WHL" (for wheels) icon for all things gv and then an actual vehicle identifier icon (M4, PNTHR, M3, M8, etc) at a much closer range.  Too much is given under the current settings.  There is no challenge to figure out where and what the gv's are.

and yes 6000 yards is 3.4 miles, no argument there.  Point being?
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2011, 01:48:32 PM »
Yes, my bad.  I didnt proof read before posting (the icon range is always rounded up to the next set value).  When the icon says 600 that means the target is between 400 and 600 yards, etc.  The air to ground icon range is 1500 yards (1.5k represented).  I say to reduce it to 1000 yards and then minimize the info. The 1000 yard "TRK" (for treads), or "WHL" (for wheels) icon for all things gv and then an actual vehicle identifier icon (M4, PNTHR, M3, M8, etc) at a much closer range.  Too much is given under the current settings.  There is no challenge to figure out where and what the gv's are.
Only so long as the icons are also reduced to 1000 yards for friendly aircraft as well.  Being drug over an AA vehicle you can't see but the guy you are tailing can magically see from 6000 yards away isn't nice.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2011, 10:19:49 AM »
Only so long as the icons are also reduced to 1000 yards for friendly aircraft as well.  Being drug over an AA vehicle you can't see but the guy you are tailing can magically see from 6000 yards away isn't nice.

The thing about friendly icons is that they can be represented by radio chatter, that is the only reason I dont really contest the friendly air to ground icon range.  For enemy air to ground icons, being able to see a camo'd tank amonst trees, etc, at 1500 yards is a bit much, imo.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2011, 11:28:16 AM »
That's a very convenient double standard that benefits GV play and hurts air play, by the way.

Ground troops radioing in positions, friendly tanks telling air support where AA is located, etc, are just as likely (if not MORE so!) to be communicated via radio.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2011, 12:10:34 PM »
More sheep :old:
More???  How about some...  I haven't see any since Steve left the game.  Perhaps they were all his....
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2011, 12:27:11 PM »
They are now. I think he just stole 'em, though!

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2011, 12:32:04 PM »
I really wish they would do a graduated damage model as well.  It seems to me it could be done with no more information going up or downstream to the server, just using what is already being passed back and forth in a different way.

Your control surface's effectiveness would be related to what percentage of hitpoints it had left.  10% HP left on your rudder?  10% rudder authority.  60% of your wingroot's HP left?  You can only pull 60% of max G-load before the wing rips.  Also could only dive up to 60% of failure speed or the wing rips off.

I think that would add a lot to the game, because being shot up some would have more of an impact on your flying.  I know for myself, if I'm rtbing because I'm 'soft' but nothing has fallen off yet, and I see someone in need of help low and slow, I have no problems helping, because even though I took several enemy hits, I'm still fully combat effective taking a shot at a guy who is targetlocked on a friendly.  Wouldn't it be a big improvement if my right wing had nearly been sawed off, I would have to keep it below 2 Gs and 350mph, or my wing is coming off?

It would add a level of realism to dealing with a slightly shot-up plane that I believe would greatly improve the experience.

I just can't see a reason for arguing against more granularity in the damage model.  In my ideal world, they would feed a down-to-the-rivet Solidworks file of each plane into the program, and bullets would deform the metal like it should, and whatever was damaged would affect the flight of the plane.  Once we have a couple thousand times the computing power and network bandwidth of today, that might become a reality.

With what we've got now though, I think graduated damage would be viable.  Maybe change the damage screen to show 10% increments so you'd have an idea where you're at.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2011, 12:40:32 PM »
I'd like to see the improved damage model (WW1) on all planes as well. However, it was stated (at the last CON i believe) that it is not feasible due to the increase in traffic. I can't find anything in the forums but I'll keep looking.
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »
I think if you get killed and could not play anymore we'd have a better turnover rate and new blood in the game.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2011, 03:35:56 PM »
The thing about friendly icons is that they can be represented by radio chatter, that is the only reason I dont really contest the friendly air to ground icon range.  For enemy air to ground icons, being able to see a camo'd tank amonst trees, etc, at 1500 yards is a bit much, imo.
I know of no radio communication that could, even today, allow Frank to so precisely locate George's tank from the air, three miles away.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2011, 03:55:55 PM »

BOB: "Frank the tank you are looking for (George) is about five miles away between a red barn and a windmill"

FRANK: "Roger Bob, I'll look for the red barn when I crest the next hill"

BOB: "Roger"

FRANK: "I've crested the hill and see the red barn"

BOB: "Roger, I'll paint the target for you"

FRANK: "Roger target sighted, commencing run"

BOB: "Roger good hunting"

GEORGE: on channel 200 "Flippin Bombt####s ruining a good GV battle"

Photo of Bob

So I can see how a radio can be instrumental to precision spotting in the combat field today, maybe not 60 years ago, but certainly today.
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2011, 04:20:50 PM »
I know of no radio communication that could, even today, allow Frank to so precisely locate George's tank from the air, three miles away.

You say that as if you think seeing something 3 miles away is difficult. When's the last time you had your vision checked?  :D

Hey, Baumer, where do you think they perfected that? Close support in WW2! Some of the F4Us perfected this method and they even put colored fabric on the ground to help the planes ID which was friendly and which was enemy positions, etc. Many jabo aircraft had 2 sets of radios, one for air to air and one for air to ground communication. Many tank commanders had ground to air radios to coordinate multiple pronged attacks. And yes, this was in WW2, not 2011.

It's not so novel as you think. We've certainly refined the practice of it and the efficiency of it, but it's been happening for a long time.