Author Topic: Something more realistic, less arcade.  (Read 4573 times)

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
Re: Something more realistic, less arcade.
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2011, 01:24:23 AM »
So your saying that there is not stress when your flight straight and level either? There is, it's 1G, when your inverted it's -1G. Go stand on your head right now, you'll see the difference.

There is no apllied mechanical stress or G on the airframe (Yes, I'm disregarding powered acceleration, deceleration and drag, but they aren't part of what's under consideration) when flying straight and level. >G< is a unit of measure that engineers use to express applied force. Ever seen an actual G meter ... It -HAS- a 0 on it ... it HAS TO, you cannot pass from + to - without going thru 0. Static Gravity is an entirely different thing. The ONLY time you will experience weightlessness in an aircraft is during the application of -G force.

By "sure" did you mean yes, you have flown inverted?

Yes ...  :angel:
I am my Ideal ! - You may now return to your petty bickering.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2011, 01:40:29 AM »
The ONLY time you will experience weightlessness in an aircraft is during the application of -G force.

So your saying that you don't feel weightlessness with 0Gs?  :huh

Yes ...  :angel:

Were you the PIC or just getting a ride?
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2011, 01:50:43 AM »
G is a measure of acceleration. Metes per second squared?

Acceleration (not speed) is one force that can be measured in Gs, there are many others. acceleration = +G, deceleration = -G. When neither force is acting on the airframe (constant speed) These G forces measure 0.

Inverted or upright, if you're flying level with no sink at a steady speed I'd say that's 1G.

Unless you leave the planet every moment of your life is spent at 1G (static) but that's GRAVITY ... NOT applied mechanical force. Because it NEVER CHANGES it is a Mathematical Constant and because it is a constant it is NOT included in the computation of Mechancal Forces.

Ever seen an actual G meter? ... It -HAS- a 0 on it ... it HAS TO, you cannot pass from + to - without going thru 0. Yet, the ONLY time you will experience weightlessness in an aircraft is during the application of -G force, NOT at 0G.

If nothing else I hope this conversation illustrates just how -NOT ARCADE- Aces High is.  :salute

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2011, 02:14:21 AM »
So your saying that you don't feel weightlessness with 0Gs?  :huh

In the context of Applied Mechanical Force measurement, yes ... that's exactly what I'm saying ... If you DO? then HIGH is not a reference to altitude.

If it helps ... GRAVITY is NOT measured in Gs. It's measured as a unit called GRAVITYS and as a percentage of Earth Normal. The Moon has around .1 Gravity as I recall ???

Were you the PIC or just getting a ride?

Inverted flight with passengers, other than for training, is discouraged by both the FAA and the Military. I was in training during most of my experience with inverted ... Private Sector Rental on Rated Birds is a bit excessive. Ever done an inverted FLAT SPIN? ... stick to aces high if you try it LOTS SAFER!  :angel:

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2011, 07:37:37 AM »

Inverted flight with passengers, other than for training, is discouraged by both the FAA and the Military.

That's not true, but is probably a whole different thread.

Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2011, 11:15:49 AM »
In the context of Applied Mechanical Force measurement, yes ... that's exactly what I'm saying ... If you DO? then HIGH is not a reference to altitude.

If it helps ... GRAVITY is NOT measured in Gs. It's measured as a unit called GRAVITYS and as a percentage of Earth Normal. The Moon has around .1 Gravity as I recall ???

Inverted flight with passengers, other than for training, is discouraged by both the FAA and the Military. I was in training during most of my experience with inverted ... Private Sector Rental on Rated Birds is a bit excessive. Ever done an inverted FLAT SPIN? ... stick to aces high if you try it LOTS SAFER!  :angel:

At 0Gs you feel 0Gs, not 1G. Where your pulling 0Gs your accelerating towards earth at the same rate at it would be "wanting" to pull you, therefore you do not feel any forces. I have no idea how you brought the moon into this conversation.

Please site the § # where it says that you can't do aerobatics with passengers. This information is very wrong.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 11:26:51 AM by MachFly »
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline PanosGR

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2011, 11:47:24 AM »
All I know and that comes from a personal experience is that pulling negative gs is a VERY painful and discomfort situation and you don’t do it unless you have a very very serious reason. First time I pulled ne-g thought my brain will eject of my scalp. Anyhow when OP talks about super ne-g maneuvers i think he means about the incredible superhuman maneuvers (stick-stirring ?) that many players pull and I agree on this.  
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 12:24:11 PM by PanosGR »

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2011, 11:56:11 AM »
At 0Gs you feel 0Gs, not 1G. Where your pulling 0Gs your accelerating towards earth at the same rate at it would be "wanting" to pull you, therefore you do not feel any forces. I have no idea how you brought the moon into this conversation.

Please site the § # where it says that you can't do aerobatics with passengers. This information is very wrong.

I'm sorry I can't describe the difference between GRAVITY and Mechanical Stress better. Obviously someone with better communication skills will have to explain it to you. They are completely different things and are NOT measured in the same manner.

And I'm not here to argue FAA regs ... If you ever flew acrobatics you'd know it's ONLY allowed in specified areas and you're supposed to notify the local control of your intent and schedule so as to prevent possible accidents with anyone else using the area. You will always be asked for a reg# and  flight plan (which includes a passenger manifest). If you tell them you are taking a passenger, you will get a POINTED lecture about endangering people un-necessarily. I didn't say there was a reg against it, I said it was discouraged. The military simply won't allow it "officially" and if you get caught doing it on your own, you will be subject to disciplinary action.  :cool:

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2011, 12:08:26 PM »
Okay
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline 4brkfast

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2011, 06:10:25 PM »
The fabric ailerons on the Spitfire Mk I, Mk II and early Mk Vs significantly reduced roll rates, particularly as speed increased.  The metal aileroned Spitfires match the NACA roll rate chart. The clipped wings on the Spit XVI would have a slight effect on turning, as they do in AH, but the heavy Griffon on the Mk XIV would have much more.  Compare the Mk XVI to the Mk VIII, they both use Merlin 66s, but burn some fuel from the Mk VIII first as it has more tankage.  
30ft away?  You are grossly overestimating the explosive power of these rounds.  You can damage yourself with your own cannon rounds, but the range is, correctly, much shorter than 30ft.Realistic engine damage would be much harder to model than the gamey suggestion you made.  An R2800 could be tougher, but it could just die upon being shot as well.
Why would Spitfires be particularly bad at it?

Cool stuff on the Spits ailerons. What I mean by splash damage, I don't mean round strikes, I mean the aircraft itself exploding. There actually is a bit, a small bit, of splash in guns like the 37mm. I landed one if a typh D5 from me and knocked out my own engine once.

It's all about the wing surface when dealing with negative G's. Airplanes like the 109 could perform this maneuver much better because of the smaller wing surface, compared to the spit, similarly, it's also why the spitfire can turn better than the 109. Either way, there's still an excess in these maneuver's, to a point where in life you would seriously be risking your own life attempting something so intense for an extended period of time. By extended, I mean up to a good 5-10 seconds, from what I see sometimes.

The spitfire 16 in real life was intended for high alt. The way it is in this game is more like the spit9 should be, as an all around turn fighter. RAF pilots said so, after the spit5, the spit9 reigned supreme for the remainder of the war. The spit8 was designed for low alt, the 16 for high and and the 9 as the standard fighter. If any of them should be like the spit16 is, it should be the spit9 or some late war variation of it. I've suggested this before, adding a fourth load out option to choose your powerplant. There were MANY versions of the spit9 as well as planes like the 109g-6. For scenario, snapshot and overall gameplay quality, wouldn't this be fun? Variants in aircraft that may adjust the eny.

This isn't a realistic game, no matter which way you cut it. You don't believe me? Try doing some of this stuff in Il-2, a much more detailed and well researched game. They too have some over modeled stuff, but at least it's more accurate in accordance to what the historians and pilots said. I was shocked once when a ww2 airplane tv show(history channel) said that the 190 completely outperformed the p47 in every aspect but in the roll, which prompted all the research. Their 30mm doesn't drop after a short distance, for example and is not nearly as slow.

And I'm not saying that you can't push your nose over in life, you can, it's the sudden intensity of it and the prolonged endurance. We are all flying with pilots that have extreme endurance, which is fine for the sake of the game and playability(not everybody has 100 hours a month to play and 'level up' your pilot), but I think at a certain point you begin to bleed from your ears and nose, as the blood is rushing to your brain.

This is quoted from wikipedia(they surprisingly have very little information about this): A redout occurs when the body experiences a negative g-force sufficient to cause a blood flow from the lower parts of the body to the head. It is the inverse effect of a greyout or brownout, where blood flows away from the head to the lower parts of the body. Redouts are potentially dangerous and can cause retinal damage and hemorrhagic stroke.

If anything, there should be a serious risk of wounding or killing your pilot, particularly if the move is intense and prolonged.

And as for the person who told me to make my own flight model, you're not even worth quoting. I'm a paying customer. I have been for over two years now. This is a discussion board, isn't it? Particularly, this is the wishlist part of it. Not the troll list. Thanks for your brilliant input however, much appreciated.

Oh, and FLotsom, your move was fine - I wasn't trying to attack you personally, you did what you could. My point is you shouldn't be allowed to get away with something like that with your pilot unharmed or alive. Haha. But you were in a 109, as silly as it was, it's still not nearly as silly as a spitfire doing it.

Machfly, I wasn't suggesting the smaller wing surface helps you pull more G's, I'm saying that the effects on the pilot are much less because of the lesser wing surface.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 06:48:28 PM by 4brkfast »
"Nuts!" - General Anthony Clement McAuliffe's reply to German demands for surrender during the Battle of Bastogne.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2011, 06:15:29 PM »
It's all about the wing surface when dealing with negative G's. Airplanes like the 109 could perform this maneuver much better because of the smaller wing surface. Either way, there's still an excess in these maneuver's, to a point where in life you would seriously be risking your own life attempting something so intense for an extended period of time. By extended, I mean up to a good 5-10 seconds, from what I see sometimes.

Smaller wing surface does not help you with pulling more -Gs, it has to do with the shape of the wing. You don't know how many -Gs the other plane is pulling, it might look like a lot to you but in reality it's most likely less than 3.

This isn't a realistic game, no matter which way you cut it. You don't believe me? Try doing some of this stuff in Il-2, a much more detailed and well researched game. They too have some over modeled stuff, but at least it's accurate. Their 30mm doesn't drop after a short distance, for example and is not nearly as slow.

So your information is coming from Il-2, what makes you think Il-2 is realistic? Last time I checked it was a lot closer to a game and much further from a simulator than AH.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 06:21:57 PM by MachFly »
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2011, 06:18:25 PM »
They too have some over modeled stuff, but at least it's accurate.

:confused:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2011, 08:20:06 PM »
I just wonder why the Hurri1 and Spit1 are modeled so that the engine cuts out under -G loading...when I'm really pretty certain alot of our planset would act in a similar way.  I could also be totally wrong. can someone clarify this?

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2011, 09:30:52 PM »
I just wonder why the Hurri1 and Spit1 are modeled so that the engine cuts out under -G loading...when I'm really pretty certain alot of our planset would act in a similar way.  I could also be totally wrong. can someone clarify this?

they have carburetters all of the others in the plane set are injected.
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2011, 09:56:10 PM »
I think it was Hartman who would push the stick into one of the front corners of the cockpit as his "last ditch but always works" moves...that would subject you to plenty of negative/outside G.

I agree that what's done in game sometimes is silly.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"