Author Topic: PBY5-A  (Read 6725 times)

Offline USAF2010

• Copper Member
Re: PBY5-A
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 09:31:38 PM »
I personally can't say we need amphibious planes until maritime warfare grows a bit. Once we start seeing submarines and ship convoys, than yeah sure, would be useful in a historic role within the game: finding ships/subs.

Until then though it would probably be safe to say it'd be one useless big, fat, bleeping target.  :old:
Defensor Fortis - Defenders of the Force
"INCOMING"

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 10:04:24 PM »
They have boat hangars, right?(Vehicle)
READ THIS THEN CLICK ON LINK:
Definition of Amphibious: Able to operate both on land and in water. SO ITS A BOAT!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE0hnDWI_0U

no it's an airplane that can land on water.  check up again on your own comments.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 10:12:51 PM »
no it's an airplane that can land on water.  check up again on your own comments.

semp

It still wouldn't need a hanger as most were either moored offshore on buoys or to a floatplane tender, or lacking those just beached on the shore line.  Only in major rear area bases was there a possibility of more permanent structure like a hanger, for example Pearl Harbor.  In most cases, 95% of the time PBYs operated where there were no hangers.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 06:11:34 PM »
the PBY5-A played a big part in WW2, mostly for air-sea rescue
well, when we have a reason to rescue toon pilots instead of letting them end sortie, then the pby will play an important part...otherwise it's a bigger target than the b5n.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 06:14:22 PM »
well, when we have a reason to rescue toon pilots instead of letting them end sortie, then the pby will play an important part...otherwise it's a bigger target than the b5n.

We do... as I recall you get more/lose less perks for a 'bailed successfully' than you do for a 'you have died' or 'you have been captured'.

So... if a downed pilot in a 262 is going to lose 225 perkies, maybe a squaddie in a PBY goes out, picks him up, flies him back to base, and he only looses 221 perkies...
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline SpencAce

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 07:29:18 PM »
We do... as I recall you get more/lose less perks for a 'bailed successfully' than you do for a 'you have died' or 'you have been captured'.

So... if a downed pilot in a 262 is going to lose 225 perkies, maybe a squaddie in a PBY goes out, picks him up, flies him back to base, and he only looses 221 perkies...
see, now that is the kind of teamworkd that we need in the game to be really succesful
**SSgt**

Offline USAF2010

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
At this point though imagine all the time lost waiting for someone to up a PBY or similar ac to come pick you up, unless there was somebody in orbit not to far away from where you were.

Or from the other point of view, upping a PBY to go retrieve somebody just to arrive and find them AFK for god only knows how long.....
"INCOMING"

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 08:22:11 PM »
At this point though imagine all the time lost waiting for someone to up a PBY or similar ac to come pick you up, unless there was somebody in orbit not to far away from where you were.

Or from the other point of view, upping a PBY to go retrieve somebody just to arrive and find them AFK for god only knows how long.....

Yes... MA it's not entirely useful in this situation.  Now what about SEA & FSO events?  Maybe bonuses for retreiving downed pilots?  I just think in general it'd be great.  Allow it to up from ports, maybe add a new hangar type for it.  Allow it to carry supplies, and even possibly allow a Dot on a map if it's within 5miles of a CV to represent it being spotted.  I can think of all sorts of cool things it could do.  Hell, let it drop mines too!  We could mine the heck out of the water in front of towns to keep CV's from steaming right up.  Put mines on PT's too!  Once CV's are added... depth charges (w00t!).

Offline USAF2010

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 08:38:54 PM »
Yes... MA it's not entirely useful in this situation.  Now what about SEA & FSO events?  Maybe bonuses for retreiving downed pilots?  I just think in general it'd be great.  Allow it to up from ports, maybe add a new hangar type for it.  Allow it to carry supplies, and even possibly allow a Dot on a map if it's within 5miles of a CV to represent it being spotted.  I can think of all sorts of cool things it could do.  Hell, let it drop mines too!  We could mine the heck out of the water in front of towns to keep CV's from steaming right up.  Put mines on PT's too!  Once CV's are added... depth charges (w00t!).

OK, yeah the mines and CV spotting would definetely be nice  :aok
"INCOMING"

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 09:32:59 PM »

how long will it take pbys to go fly 4 or 5 sectors that is common during scenarios?  you really gonna think a pby will launch retrieve and bring a downed pilot back before it's time for the next scenario  :eek:.

semp

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 12:34:58 AM »
probably the same time it takes D3A's and B5N's and F4F's and other slow planes to do it...

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 01:45:12 AM »
probably the same time it takes D3A's and B5N's and F4F's and other slow planes to do it...

those are actually faster planes.

semp

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2011, 11:06:56 AM »
Looking at the numbers...  at top speed, the D3A would be able to cover one more sector an hour than a PBY...  Speed demon!

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2011, 11:15:07 AM »
no you don't. ditch/bail gets the same points as died...rescue would be the same as a ditch/bail. no net gain, tower out and get back in the fight.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2011, 12:57:17 PM »
That's also a bad reason to include it: to save lost perks.

The perks you pay for a 262, let's say, are gone. The perk price is established once you take off. The multiplier for perks is only applied to what you earn DURING that sortie. Not the price you paid.

Say the perk price is 200 (let's make it nice and round). Say the kills you earn net you 5 perks if you had landed. You lose the plane and bail, so that's -200 points already.

However you bail so you get half those 5 perks. You'll get 2.5 back. So you lose 197.5 perks instead of 200. The perk price isn't modified, just the perk reward is.

EDIT: something like that. I don't mean those numbers/ratios exactly. You get the idea.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 12:59:29 PM by Krusty »