Author Topic: Does this mean we get the Piper Cub too?  (Read 1356 times)

Offline Tordon22

• Silver Member
Re: Does this mean we get the Piper Cub too?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 10:19:14 PM »
Are you joking? I hope so cause Dan is just sharing a unique and interesting story from the war, he isn't serious. Also, i must admit it is a pretty good troll if your post is of that nature, it should fair well.
 :banana:

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 10:37:21 PM »
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 11:24:30 PM »
If we do, that means I can say I fly warbirds. I've got about 15 hours in the L4 Grasshopper, and another 15 in the cub.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 11:27:28 PM »
Also I can get extensive pictures for modeling the skin/3d model if need be. I also have access to extensive amounts of literature on them.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 12:12:15 AM »
Why should we? Because we don't have enough American units in the game already?

I don't see a Schnellboot, Ju-52 or Kubelwagen in the game either, nor does the game need them right now. :)

But I can understand how horrible the prospect of getting a new German aircraft in the game can be from a viewpoint of a history enthusiast of western allies' air force units. I mean, after all, the dust has hardly settled from the latest introduction of a totally new Luftwaffe aircraft in late 2002. ;)

Holy wonk wonk Wmaker, it's not like the axis have been ignored lately..King Tiger, Panther, new Mk IVs and
now the Storch...oh yeah, let's not forget the Me-410.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 12:13:57 AM by Rino »
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 12:26:56 AM »
Why should we? Because we don't have enough American units in the game already?

I don't see a Schnellboot, Ju-52 or Kubelwagen in the game either, nor does the game need them right now. :)

But I can understand how horrible the prospect of getting a new German aircraft in the game can be from a viewpoint of a history enthusiast of western allies' air force units. I mean, after all, the dust has hardly settled from the latest introduction of a totally new Luftwaffe aircraft in late 2002. ;)

After all this time Wmaker, and me having your back too!  LOL you gotta be able to roll with this now and then!

I'm crushed :cry
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 03:16:05 AM »
After all this time Wmaker, and me having your back too!  LOL you gotta be able to roll with this now and then!

I'm crushed :cry

Sorry Guppy, but you kinda missed the smileys I think. :) ;) :D

On a more serious note,

On these "utility units" like the PT boat, Jeep, troop carries, etc. I think HTC has largely followed the logic of what was the "best of its type" and what "suits best for the game". Storch was generally regarded "the best of it's type" of the war and it has more playload than the L-4 for example to "justify" the carrying of the vehicle supplies. Personally, I don't think we need another unit to this category or something similar to the Jeep for the next 10 years. :)
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2011, 04:24:12 AM »
Can we paint a Storch up like Monties?  Or was it Harry Broadhurst's bird :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2011, 04:40:11 AM »
    Holy wonk wonk Wmaker, it's not like the axis have been ignored lately..

Did I say they were? Your post has nothing to do with my point.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2011, 04:45:20 AM »
Can we paint a Storch up like Monties?  Or was it Harry Broadhurst's bird :)

Well, you know the answer to that :) but yeh Monti did have a Storch as his personal transport, id: VM472. RAF had more than 60 of them.

EDIT/And yeh, Broadhurst had one and he really didn't like to give it up either. :)/EDIT
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 04:54:02 AM by Wmaker »
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2011, 10:50:30 AM »
Sorry Guppy, but you kinda missed the smileys I think. :) ;) :D

On a more serious note,

On these "utility units" like the PT boat, Jeep, troop carries, etc. I think HTC has largely followed the logic of what was the "best of its type" and what "suits best for the game". Storch was generally regarded "the best of it's type" of the war and it has more playload than the L-4 for example to "justify" the carrying of the vehicle supplies. Personally, I don't think we need another unit to this category or something similar to the Jeep for the next 10 years. :)
Should I find myself inclined to fly such a mission, even if the L-4 and Lysander were available, I'd still be taking the Storch I think.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2011, 07:27:05 PM »
I'd imagine the storch is a touch faster than the L4. It's is a real screamer clocking in at a near supersonic speed of 75mph.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2011, 11:23:23 PM »
I wasn't really asking for a Cub.  Just wanted to share the story of the Cub pilot killing a Storch with his 45.

I'd say the odds of me in a Storch are just as great as me in a Cub :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2011, 12:19:58 AM »
I wasn't really asking for a Cub.  Just wanted to share the story of the Cub pilot killing a Storch with his 45.

I'd say the odds of me in a Storch are just as great as me in a Cub :)

I might have steared it in that direction with my comment of you wanting an uber armed scout plane,of course I was joking but it may have influenced that train of thought.

:salute

Offline matt

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2011, 12:33:48 AM »
Well I was thinking more about this story.

The L4 / Me 109 Incident

Notes of Major James R. Stegall - Retired United States Army, Italy - Early Morning - December l943

The 36th Division was making the initial assault on Mt.Maggiore. I was flying an observation plane, an L4, along with an observer and directing artillery fire on German positions. There were plenty of targets to fire upon as the assault by the 36th caused a lot of activity on the German side. Their artillery was firing at our troops which allowed us to fire on their positions. We were so engrossed in our adjusting and firing that we were lax on watching for enemy aircraft. Suddenly, something slammed into the side of the plane. I looked to the left and saw white tracers flying by close to the plane and red tracers out toward the end of the wing. I immediately put the plane into a steep dive, diving as hard as I could toward the top of the mountain range to get close to the ground where I could use evasive maneuvers to keep from being hit again. The ME-l09 circled east and out into the valley, I circled inside of his turn. I saw him turn back toward me and I thought I was a dead duck! He circled back but did not fire at me. Instead, he slowed his aircraft and flew up right beside me. Here was this ME-l09 with the Iron Cross on the side and Swastika on the tail almost flying formation with me. We looked at each other. I didn't signal or wave and neither did he. Frankly, I was too scared to wave. He then flew on off to the north. I flew south skimming the top of Mt. Lungo and back to our landing strip. The engine and aircraft were shaking, not from fright, but because some of the fragments had hit the propeller. After we landed, we found that a 20 millimeter projectile had blown away three quarters or more of the left wing strut yet it held together as we dived hard and were able to continue flying. Fifty caliber bullets had hit toward the end of the wing. The propeller was riddled as was the left wing and had to be replaced. The main lift strut had to be replaced so we cut out the part hit by the twenty millimeter shell. I still have it in my possession.

great story ty sir