Author Topic: Need for recon planes  (Read 725 times)

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
      • http://www.simpilots.org/
Need for recon planes
« on: December 10, 2011, 10:00:31 PM »
Why is it we can instantly see the condition of an enemy airfield by clicking on the map? For example, when an enemy plane takes down the radar they know its down until it gets repaired. The same thing with ordinance, hangers, and fuel. Why can't we have a bit more "fog of war" in the game when there are no enemy planes withing visual range of the base? 

Since the Storch is coming in as an observation plane we could have it with a longer range of observing the enemy base and relaying the condition of it.
Tango78
78th Razorbacks
Historical Air Combat Group

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: Need for recon planes
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 10:11:36 PM »
Why is it we can instantly see the condition of an enemy airfield by clicking on the map? For example, when an enemy plane takes down the radar they know its down until it gets repaired. The same thing with ordinance, hangers, and fuel. Why can't we have a bit more "fog of war" in the game when there are no enemy planes withing visual range of the base? 

Since the Storch is coming in as an observation plane we could have it with a longer range of observing the enemy base and relaying the condition of it.

I certainly agree with you %100 regarding the Fog of War, there really isnt much in AH.  I'm not exactly sure of what you are asking though.  Are you saying that unless there is a visual on the enemy field by allied aircraft that the status of the field's systems not be known?  Interesting concept is that is the case, I'm not sure how HTC could code that though. 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 10:29:35 PM »
there are spyiez everywhere...consider your intelligence corps infiltrated.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 12:42:00 AM »

The Storch is not the kind of plane that would do that sort of thing.  That would be done by fast PR aircraft taking photos, most often from high altitude.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 01:17:13 AM »
Interesting concept is that is the case, I'm not sure how HTC could code that though. 

Yup that's what I'm talking about. Don't know if it could be done but it would make things more interesting.
Tango78
78th Razorbacks

Offline FBCrabby

• Nickel Member
      • AHFreebirds.com
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 03:02:57 AM »
Wish granted - bleed out your ammo all the way and take a screenshot over the base... Then email your squaddies LOOK HANGER IS DOWN
AH-Freebirds.com - FB$ - Proud Squadron Of Aces High II

Actively Recruiting! - Join FB$ Today!

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 07:00:38 AM »
Wish granted - bleed out your ammo all the way and take a screenshot over the base... Then email your squaddies LOOK HANGER IS DOWN
:lol

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 10:16:50 AM »
Yup that's what I'm talking about. Don't know if it could be done but it would make things more interesting.

Whats interesting about flying at 25k+ all over the map just to turn on info?

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 10:25:30 AM »
Maybe in Special Events but certainly not for the MA - which is where most game resources and updates should be focused on.  Most players spend most of their time in the MA, which is not a war simulator at all.
How many players would like to fly around just taking pictures (and then of course have to RTB to be able to use them) for a few hours while everyone else sits in the ready room waiting for orders? 
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 10:47:48 AM »
the reason I bring it up is that Hitech is already moving in that direction with reduced icon ranges and bringing in the Storch as a spotter. I know it will PO alot of the stat hounds and horders because they won't have instant info on a base showing if its weakened or not.
Tango78
78th Razorbacks

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 08:09:49 PM »
the reason I bring it up is that Hitech is already moving in that direction with reduced icon ranges and bringing in the Storch as a spotter. I know it will PO alot of the stat hounds and horders because they won't have instant info on a base showing if its weakened or not.

thought he was reducing gv icon only and not airplane.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 09:45:33 PM »
It is GV icons only, which I think he meant but forgot to say.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 03:10:04 PM »
Hopefully the Fw 189 will be the next observation plane since it could defend itslef and drop tiny bombs.

Fw 189 A-1: Initial production version, armed with two flexible 7.92 mm (.312 in) MG 15 machine guns in the dorsal and rear positions, one 7.92 mm (0.312 in) MG 17 machine gun in each wing root, plus four 50 kg (110 lb) bombs.

Called the "Flying Eye" of the German army, the Fw 189 was used extensively on the Eastern Front with great success. Its Russian nickname was "Rama" (Frame), referring to its distinctive tailboom shape. Despite its slow speed and fragile looks, the Fw 189's maneuverability made it a difficult target for attacking Russian fighters. When attacked, the Fw 189 was often able to out-turn attacking fighters by simply flying in a tight circle into which enemy fighters could not follow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focke-Wulf_Fw_189

Forward airfeilds in the east were very often dirt strips/hay feilds with a tent as the command center or tower. Proximity to the front or the closest enemy was very short. A whole new class of feild could be implimented in the LW similare in structure to the WW1 arena.

Forward Feild Dirt strip with one tent as the tower and a single bigger tent as the hanger. Fuel and ord would be two trucks and maybe some manned ack/88 and M16/M3 75mm to defend. No Troops or supplys. Once fuel/ord are destroyed you only have guns and 50-75% fuel for your aircraft. Tie the radar and ownership to a nearby GV base/port so it changes hands when the GV base/port is captured. Launch observation planes and hanger queen fighters/fighter bombers to defend the GV base/port or fly sorties against nearby enemy feilds or attacking CV.

Not every player in a Hurri1/2C/D, spit1/5/IIc, SBD5, F4F-4, P40C-N, P39D/Q, TBM3, I16, IL2, Yak9T, Bf109E/F, Fw190-F8, Me110C, A6M, D3A1, is a pushover. But, defending against late war monsters, Ostwind, and Wirbelwind with these is a tad tricky for some players. The mania towards late war monsters as a security blanket for many players might make this kind of airfeild a last minute game changer against attackers due to the general disdane for the collection of aircraft suggested.

Once your rifle is out of bullets you can use it as a spear or a club. You either have to be very clever and skilled or lucky in not getting shot while getting close enough to use it that way. There are always a handful of individuals who love this kind of scenario and odds.

We play this game mostly like the air war was fought in WWI, POST Normandy, North Africa, on the russian front, China/Burma and the PTO. Not 1943 8th AF versus the Luftwaffa. But, with air feilds & (GV/port) setup like primary bases(Ft. Apache death traps) in england and germany separated by time and distance constraints to support them. We don't want to climb too high or fly too far to play. As our GV game matures and looks more like the eastern front and the break out from Normandy, they will need spotters and close air support. So why not a new class of airfield to support "them"? The GV game in Aces High is not going away.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 03:24:08 PM »
We have plenty of birds who did recce work for real.  Mustangs, Lightnings, Spitfires, 109s.

Take the Pink Spit I or the Pink Spit IX.  Those were FR Spits.  If you are going to be out checking the airfields you wouldn't be doing it in a spotter plane.  You'd be in something fast and armed
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 04:59:20 PM »
We have DAR and every one of your countrymen and squad mates is on text and VOX as recon planes.

A natural genisis of the Storch as GV spotter launching from a GV base would really be a close by small dirt feild upping lower caliber aircraft as direct support for the GV. Late war monsters would abuse the time/distance buffer that somewhat insulates GV's attacking the remote GV feild with their own late war air support. The dirt strip would have a precarious life span at best for availabel ordinace since it's ord and fuel trucks would be some of the first casulties of smart attackers. For the sake of finally taking the GV base, there would need to be some facility for disabling the dirt strip for a time while it regenerated.

Fuel can be limited to 50-75% to tether all aircraft to the local area or make heading off to attack a farther away airfeild a one way trip.

A single camped M8 would make upping any aircraft very risky business until the M8 was delt with. Even a Stuka capping it. The dirt strip would be it's own vulch magnet unless the GV base supported it to regain it's own close air support from the dirt strip. Think about the hazzards a Storch trying to up from a camped GV base will encounter. I really doubt a small dirt strip tied to a GV base would have any consiquence to the overall winning of a map. But, it would add to the drama of defending and taking GV bases or even ports.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.