Author Topic: Yet another Icon idea, limited icons at SHORT range  (Read 397 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Yet another Icon idea, limited icons at SHORT range
« on: December 10, 2011, 06:24:38 PM »
Icon threads seem to be the topic of the weekend, so I'll contribute based on some thoughts I had while participating in the other threads.

The problem with computer screens is that they do not give anything like the detail that we get in reality, but to a degree this is not as true at short ranges once the aircraft are close enough to be rendered as more than a dot or a small collection of pixels.

Based on that, I thought it might be interesting to have a setting in which the icons we have now only displayed between 1000 and 6000 yards or 1500 and 6000 yards, keeping the range data, closure rate and plane type data as now.  Below that distance the range, closure rate and plane type data would be removed leaving only the Rook, Knight or Bishop icon, colored appropriately, for IFF purposes.  For the AVA the Rook, Knight or Bishop icon would also be removed.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 06:26:12 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Yet another Icon idea, limited icons at SHORT range
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 06:34:42 PM »
been discussed to death and the answer has always been no. 

I think you already posted this on another thread and some guys gave you a very reasonable explanation for saying no.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 06:37:25 PM »
I think you already posted this on another thread and some guys gave you a very reasonable explanation for saying no.

semp
Actually, nobody even acknowledged it.  They focused on a no icon at all discussion.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 06:53:27 PM »
perhaps you should explain how it would improve or enhance game play.  what would be the benefit of it?   other than it could be interesting.

lots of things could be interesting.  having ramps near town so i can bring my m18 and jump over the enemy tanks at the edge of town.  hey vault the m3's right into the maproom, how is that for interesting?  hey see that tiger2 camping near the base, watch this  broooom jump over him as you go up quick shot and bang he's gone.

semp

you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 06:56:25 PM »
I like it+1 for sure......get rid of it completely under 600 :aok

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 09:22:02 PM »
If HTC is going to keep the 6000 yard icon range for aircraft, I think all aircraft should be identified by a country badge and then a 4/2/1 (for # of engines) until 2000 yards or so.  THEN, the specific variant of the model not be revealed until 400 yards.

Let say the new aircraft to gv icon range is 1000 yards, I'd like to see some sort of generic id icon next to the country badge from 500 to 1000 yards.  Have it show the country badge and "HT" for halftrack, "AA" for Wirblewinds and Ostwinds, and "TANK" for the tanks.  Once the normal aircraft are inside 500 yards THEN show model specific icons.  In the case of the Stork, let the model specific icon show at 1500 yards and the generic icon show from 1500 to 2000 yards (assuming that the Storch can see icons out to 2000 yards).

I think Karny has a good idea, it has been asked many times before.  ;) 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 09:56:04 PM »
Icon threads seem to be the topic of the weekend, so I'll contribute based on some thoughts I had while participating in the other threads.

The problem with computer screens is that they do not give anything like the detail that we get in reality, but to a degree this is not as true at short ranges once the aircraft are close enough to be rendered as more than a dot or a small collection of pixels.

Based on that, I thought it might be interesting to have a setting in which the icons we have now only displayed between 1000 and 6000 yards or 1500 and 6000 yards, keeping the range data, closure rate and plane type data as now.  Below that distance the range, closure rate and plane type data would be removed leaving only the Rook, Knight or Bishop icon, colored appropriately, for IFF purposes.  For the AVA the Rook, Knight or Bishop icon would also be removed.

Thoughts?

This is exactly what the AVA has setup this week. 3k friendly, 1k enemy. feel free to try it and come back and report in this thread folks. oh yeah only 2 sides too.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 12:43:30 AM »
This is exactly what the AVA has setup this week. 3k friendly, 1k enemy. feel free to try it and come back and report in this thread folks. oh yeah only 2 sides too.
That would rather be the opposite of what I was suggesting.  I was talking of reduced icons, or no icons in the AVA, at short range and current MA icons at distances of over 1000 or 1500 yards.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 05:23:13 AM »
Other than an additional challenge to gunnery I can't see what this brings.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 08:45:38 AM »
Other than an additional challenge to gunnery I can't see what this brings.
That was kinda the point. To try to address, to a degree at least, the huge discrepancy between historical shooting ranges and AH shooting ranges.  It would also require more visual SA effort due to no longer being told if the Spitfire you're after is a Mk V or a Mk XIV, ect.

FWIW, the Spitfire Mk XVI that engaged my Ki-61 on Friday night was easy to ID as a Spitfire Mk XVI during the fight due to the clipped wings.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-