Author Topic: South African Air Force Squadron docs online  (Read 625 times)

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
South African Air Force Squadron docs online
« on: December 22, 2011, 04:54:42 AM »
G'day gents,

I'm late to the party with this, but I've just seen on another board that assorted SAAF documents are available online here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/search-results.asp?searchType=browserefine&mediaarray=*&first_date=&last_date=&CatID=32&pageCount=21&query=scope%3Dair+54&queryType=1&pageNumber=1&sortSpec=first%5Fdate+desc

There are the standard issues, whole sections missing only to turn up in the wrong place, pages out of order, etc.  :old: :bhead

Can be extremely frustrating at times. For instance, in the 60 SAAF Operations Record Book (they used Mosquitoes...) there's a reference to a Mosquito having gone missing on 5 July 1943, and lo and behold there's a German claim that day (05.07.43   Fw. Vogel: 1   1./JG 77   Mosquito    -   -   Reference: JG 77 Lists f. 2429) but do you think I can find the bloody serial number of the Mossie? Would like to attribute its loss in my database but...

Either way, couple of samples. When things go well it is:

Then again, at other times, it's all:

All the above is from July 1944.

There's similar stuff all through the file (NB - each one is 250 megs!) - enemy fighters seem to be willing to chase for 10-15 minutes before giving up, generally speaking.

Some good mission summaries some months, going to see if I can draw some lessons about loss rates, average sortie length, number of interceptions, etc.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
Re: South African Air Force Squadron docs online
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 05:46:54 AM »
Good stuff! Thanks!  :salute
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 07:56:56 AM »
 :salute Good stuff.

Didn't Americans take a/c recognition coarses?

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 06:41:17 PM »
I didnt mean to start a p***ing match...

60 SAAF actually did OK on the old blue-on-blue score, don't think they lost any this way. Hi-alt performance of the Mk.IX and Mk.XVI seems to have saved them from Stangs and Lightnings on a number of occasions.

As indicated, I didn't mean to start anything with this, other than "flying while armed only with a coat of shiny blue paint could be harrowing."
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 06:45:28 PM »
Great stuff,I can only imagine what it would be like rocking a mossie to drain every drop of fuel!  Cool head under pressure for sure with that pilot. :aok

:salute

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 08:59:50 PM »
Yeah, rocking the wings to drain the fuel better is a new one on me, quick thinking.

Relations between the SAAF and the USAAF were pretty good all up, despite the interceptions. Certainly during their time in North Africa and also possibly thereafter 60 SAAF was part of a unified photo-recce command under Col. Elliot Roosevelt, the President's son.

According to the Squadron ORB, 60 SAAF actually got its Mosquitos via the US 12 PRS, who, it seems, wrecked 3 FB.VI Mosquitos (no doubt in takeoff / landing accidents due to not being used to the swing). I didn't know the USAAF photo guys had even had Mossies, one of the reasons I like these original doccos so much.

Another example of cooperation which I once found in an MACR on footnote: