Author Topic: a question/idea/suggestion for you map making pro's  (Read 921 times)

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
a question/idea/suggestion for you map making pro's
« on: January 01, 2012, 09:41:19 PM »
question: Is it possible to put many extremly different textures in the same map? I am talking desert, winter, jungle...?

Idea/suggestion: Well I was thinking of the theme of aces high that puts 3 countries on this war for territory.
                         The maps are quite huge and it is wierd to see a whole continent be constant looking like that.
                          So lets imagine that the war has several fronts as it goes on and some are in the desert, other ins the winter and so on

I am not sure I'm beeing clear so ask as you wish, the sum is that it would be really cool to have in the MA some maps where you can dominate the deserts while another country is dominating the cold north and such, the huge maps we have now would look more dinamic, people would use different camos and could be nice themed
Remember 08/08/2012
 Youtube videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/raphael103/featured
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: a question/idea/suggestion for you map making pro's
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 09:44:35 PM »
I've always thought this would be cool, but I figured there was something stopping the map editors, or they would've done it already :P

+1 from me, anyways.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 12:43:41 AM »
It sounds intresting.  +1
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 12:49:00 AM »
Sure it's doable.  A terrain can have up to 12 different land textures.  Each texture added will have an increase in overall terrain file size.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 12:52:41 AM »
so sir, do you think it is possible to do east frozen, south desert, west in that classic weather we have now and who knows, the tropical jungles in islands around the maps (those scenarios sounds familiar to you guys?  :D ) with 12 textures or less? would the mappers comunity be up for the challenge?  :D
Also as for the final product, depending on the file size even if it is 12 textures, HTC could decline the map for usage?
Remember 08/08/2012
 Youtube videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/raphael103/featured
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 03:00:33 AM »
so sir, do you think it is possible to do east frozen, south desert, west in that classic weather we have now and who knows, the tropical jungles in islands around the maps (those scenarios sounds familiar to you guys?  :D ) with 12 textures or less? would the mappers comunity be up for the challenge?  :D
Also as for the final product, depending on the file size even if it is 12 textures, HTC could decline the map for usage?
Is it doable as you propose for the MA? No. Not with that many land use types and seasons. It would be difficult for any arena and once you start mixing ETO summer with ETO winter for instance, you're forced to start creating custom copies of objects, specifically all the trees, bushes, grass etc so that you can map your winter textures to them and still keep the summer versions.

That doesn't mean you must have all grass terrains of course, but it takes time to set 16,777,216 plots of land with up to two (blended) of the 12 land use types. Most builders are going spend that time setting spawn points and correct road layouts instead.

I spent many many hours working on the mountains in avasml using the default ETO set. The new terrain engine had just come out and I was experimenting. I think they came out looking pretty good, but it's a tiny terrain, not a massive 512x512 monster.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 03:09:26 AM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001