Author Topic: Wednesday Night No Icons, Easy Field Capture, Custom Arena  (Read 564 times)

Offline Pokeee

• Zinc Member
Wednesday Night No Icons, Easy Field Capture, Custom Arena
« on: February 25, 2012, 07:52:49 PM »
I'm setting up a custom arena on Wednesday at 9:30 CST, and there'll be space for 10-12 people to pop in and take a look.

There'll be 3 types of aircraft available: all 3 zeroes, the two Hurris without the 40mm guns and the C47.
All icons will be off.
The fuel burn will be quite high, allowing only 10 to 15 minutes of full throttle operation.
Ack will be neutered, it'll ping you but cause you no damage.
Hardness values will be tremendously reduced.

A single fighter will be able to prep a field for capture by destroying all ack and at least one town building, rebuild times will be quite high, you will be able to make repeated runs at a single airport. You will be easily be able to strafe down hangars, but they will pop back up in the 5 to 10 minute range.

One drunk is all that's needed to destroy the map room and capture.

It will be Hurris vs Zeroes

The gameplay idea is to give the fighter more to do than ACM, and more to worry about than whether or not you land the kill. The fights with no icons should be a lot simpler and albeit possibly more confusing.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
Re: Wednesday Night No Icons, Easy Field Capture, Custom Arena
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 08:34:39 PM »
killshooter?
Pies not kicks.

Offline Pokeee

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
I think killshooter on, if someone misidentifies the enemy they pay the price.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 09:23:52 PM »
I think this will work great for all those people who keep creaming that icons should be off.  :aok
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 10:57:16 PM »
what is the terrain going to be?

Offline Pokeee

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 05:32:53 AM »
avasmall

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 04:15:00 PM »
Pokee,

No icons will not work in an Air to Air environment without limiting the planesets to opposing sides.  In other words, there is no way to identify a friendly Hurricane from an enemy Hurricane.

I like the concept, and hope that you have this intended or some other mechanism that it is possible that I am not aware of.  I never understood how, Jaeger could run his Jet week in the AvA without having this complication.

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 04:25:42 PM »
Pokee,

No icons will not work in an Air to Air environment without limiting the planesets to opposing sides.  In other words, there is no way to identify a friendly Hurricane from an enemy Hurricane.

I like the concept, and hope that you have this intended or some other mechanism that it is possible that I am not aware of.  I never understood how, Jaeger could run his Jet week in the AvA without having this complication.

You still have dots on the map though?
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline Pokeee

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 07:42:35 AM »
No icons will not work in an Air to Air environment without limiting the planesets to opposing sides.---Chilli

I meant to make that clear with the statement, Hurris vs Zeroes, obviously, I did not.  It will in fact be hurris on one side and zeroes on the other.

You still have dots on the map though?----Curry1

Yeah, I was looking at two ideas. Idea one is leave the radar on so's folks can see where the action is (the flashing alert stuff is still on), idea two would be turn all of that off, but create a line of usable fields such that the enemy is that way and home is that way. When I did stuff like this in a past life in a different game, there was a tremendous and continuing lack of interest, so I went with the idea that takes the least work, which is idea one, radar on and airfield under attack stuff still on too.

If there is any repeatable interest besides the 5 or 6 guys I fly with, I'm open to creating and trying different ideas and setups in the future.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 10:13:48 AM »
Pokee,

its easy, "enemy icons" off, "friendly icons" on. you only had to go in to see that. as you said, without friendly icons, you would have a tough time differentiating the different planes. in a setup where both sides use the same plane its impossible, short of using different skin.

if pokee keeps friendly icons on and enemy icons off, its not a problem. if he uses zero's versus hurricanes, with one side getting hurricanes and one side getting zeros, he can get away with "no icons at all". most wont like it though. my 2 cents.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 01:53:10 PM »
Another concern, but still a good concept.....  is the amount of ammo / damage that Hurricanes and Zekes have in comparison to each other.  Since you are making the objective to race and capture the most fields.  I think you have this covered by the light settings on buildings.  The Zeke is very light on cannon.  Hurricanes, with the exception of the Hurri I, have incredible cannons.  With settings light enough for MG bursts to take out buildings this could be an even match as well as an AWESOME show with more that 1 or 2 working the town together.

I work evenings and therefore will most likely not be able to attend, but wish that I could.  This is an extreme, of what I have been posting about for a year or two.  With base capture settings lowered, the forces could disperse and cover a map rather than clump into one or two HORDES.  The battles that will errupt in a lighter capture environment, would favor a defense by air :rock, rather than GAME SETTINGS and auto ACK.

Offline Pokeee

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 03:41:19 PM »
Actually the concept I'm shooting for is to get as far away as possible from the perpetual red flag/top gun practice going on in online WWII flight sims.

No icons to create the possibility of confusion, no range numbers to take away the goofy canopy mounted radar concept, easy field destruction to give the fighters somewhere to go and something to do besides ACM (and the hardness settings ARE so low that a simple strafe destroys almost anything), low fuel to give the fighters a reason NOT to engage the enemy at times, if they can help it.

I'm not really worried about exact parity between the fighters, this week it's Zeroes vs Hurris because a guy who's going to be there said,"How about the fall of
Singapore! Zeroes vs Spits!" and then later he said, "No, that's too early for Spits, Zeroes vs Hurris!" and I said, I said, "D'ah okay." Personally, I'm open to all sorts of pairings, I'd like to try Corsairs vs F6Fs!

But anyway, too bad you can't make it, if you're interested enough I'd be happy to send you my arena setup files so's you can simply create your own, on a time that works for you...

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 05:42:57 AM »
Yes, Pokee I would like to try the setup and sorry will not be able to attend for sure.  The next two days I will probably have a total of 5 hrs. sleep if I am lucky.  Thanks for the offer.  If you do send them please do not use 7zip, for some reason I am no longer able to use that utility.