Author Topic: Collision Model  (Read 22820 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Collision Model
« Reply #210 on: December 29, 2011, 10:02:26 AM »
I will have to look when I get back to Dallas. But I am almost positive vehicles do not have collisions with other players.

HiTech

Vehicles..... no collission.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #211 on: December 29, 2011, 10:21:19 AM »
Oh god...  Please don't change it so both die in a one-sided collision...  That would be unbelievably frustrating... :(
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Hopper

• Silver Member
« Reply #212 on: December 29, 2011, 11:35:19 AM »
Oh god...  Please don't change it so both die in a one-sided collision...  That would be unbelievably frustrating... :(

How often do you fly away when some has collided with you?

In my experience, they have guns blazing taking me down even if they collide.  I go down they fly away.  Aggravating.
Hopper

JG/11

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #213 on: December 29, 2011, 01:07:29 PM »

In my experience, they have guns blazing taking me down even if they collide.  I go down they fly away.  Aggravating.

:bhead

Again...That is because on you're end you hit him, and on his end he avoided you.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #214 on: December 29, 2011, 01:42:49 PM »
even if computers transmitted data at light speed over the internet it still wouldn't be fast enough.
:headscratch:  :O

Light speed is not a magical "instant" speed.  Data already flows through the internet at about 40-50% of the speed of light.  If data flowed at the speed of light it would reduce lag, but not eliminate it.  A ping time of 250 from, say, Japan would be 100 to 125 instead.  That is a lot better, but would still result in significant differences on each front end.

When they collide with me?  Every single time that it doesn't also say "You collided with soandso" as well.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 01:48:02 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #215 on: December 29, 2011, 02:07:37 PM »

Seems he collided with you and you collided with his bullets.

Aggravating I bet.   :P

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #216 on: December 29, 2011, 03:21:23 PM »
:headscratch:  :O

Light speed is not a magical "instant" speed.  Data already flows through the internet at about 40-50% of the speed of light.  If data flowed at the speed of light it would reduce lag, but not eliminate it.  A ping time of 250 from, say, Japan would be 100 to 125 instead.  That is a lot better, but would still result in significant differences on each front end.

When they collide with me?  Every single time that it doesn't also say "You collided with soandso" as well.

the highlighted part....that sounds wrong....not that I know but isn't the speed of light 150,000 or so miles a second?

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #217 on: December 29, 2011, 03:28:16 PM »
the highlighted part....that sounds wrong....not that I know but isn't the speed of light 150,000 or so miles a second?

It's 186,282 miles/second.  However, what Karnak said sounds intuitively right to me.  If you figure that data must travel from your computer to the server, from the server to the other guy's computer, and vice-versa, you're easily looking at 100ms travel time.  A round trip from Japan to, say, Nebraska, at the speed of light would take ~100ms for example.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #218 on: December 29, 2011, 03:41:39 PM »
the signal travels at ~60% c in optical fibre, and every router hop adds a small processing delay so for longer trips 25-50% c sounds about right :)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Gr8pape

• Copper Member
      • Swamp Revel Computers
« Reply #219 on: December 29, 2011, 04:10:47 PM »
:bhead

Again...That is because on you're end you hit him, and on his end he avoided you.

That is not possible if on one end there is a collision, then the other end has to collide as well.
For every action there IS a Equal and Opposite Reaction - Newton.

I would rather try and fail, than not try at all. (paraphrased)
F.D. Roosevelt

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 29, 2011, 04:14:33 PM »
That is not possible if on one end there is a collision, then the other end has to collide as well.

Not possible:

Same moment, taken from P-47 pilot's film (upper) and P-51 pilot's film (lower)

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #221 on: December 29, 2011, 04:21:55 PM »

That is true only when dealing with a single reality.  In Aces High we are dealing with multiple realities that are talking to each other.  One reality is in your computer, another reality is in the server and other realities are in each of the other player's computers.  These realities are all similar, but slightly different, as Lusche's pictures show, and thus you can collide with Karnak while Karnak does not collide with you.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #222 on: December 29, 2011, 04:22:22 PM »

In my experience, they have guns blazing taking me down even if they collide.  I go down they fly away.  Aggravating.

I've been "collided with" from behind twice this month in my short amount of flying time.  Both times I was undamaged and they went down...  In one case they even apologized to me.  On my end, it didn't even look like they were all that close to me...  I couldn't figure out where they went.

The best solution is the way we have it now, as annoying as some situations may be.  The discrepancies on each player's screen make it impossible for it to be perfectly balanced in every situation.

Latency!

You know what HTC should do?  They should just get rid of collision messages.  That way people stop complaining and just assume they got shot.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 04:48:59 PM by SectorNine50 »
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #223 on: December 29, 2011, 04:47:53 PM »
 :noid :noid :noid :bhead :bhead :bhead
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #224 on: December 29, 2011, 04:56:36 PM »

:lol Of coarse it is wrong.  The equipment adds latency when processing the signals, but light does not "flow" slower than welll, light  :lol  HT may be good, but he is not that good.  Slowing down light is not that easy  :rofl
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.