Author Topic: The Marketing of AH - Ideas on how to increase player base  (Read 11420 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: The Marketing of AH - Ideas on how to increase player base
« Reply #180 on: January 01, 2012, 04:16:29 PM »
Aces High is the only active indie game I know off the top of my head that requires a subscription to play. Time of Defiance also used this method before shutting down their server. A lot of failing subscription based MMORPG titles like AION and DC universe recently switched to the free to play with micro transaction method and saw a huge surge in both membership and profit. See this artile for more detail: http://www.qj.net/ps3/news/dc-universe-free-to-play-and-profitable.html

"700% increase in revenue" - "We are at a 900% concurrent increase since we launched f2p."

There is no doubt that the free 2 play with micro transaction method could become the status quo in future
. Buy to play will still have its place of course, mainly for AAA titles with huge overhead costs like Guild Wars 2. Aces High could make a profit from selling cosmetic features like plane liveries for example.

As a seven year consumer of Aces High, I feel the software hasn't evolved with the times and is now past its sell by date. Maybe it's time for HTC to start a fresh?

you do understand that the people that pay, pay for everybody else to play for free.  just like in wot, it is not free for some as they must pay more than if there was to be a subscription for everybody to pay.  I would switch to free play and fly the free rides, let somebody else pay my way.

but where exactly are you going with these we need more players marketing campaign.     sure you have more numbers, but numbers dont necessarily equal better game play, you just have more numbers. arenas will never have more than 400 or 500 players in them due to the fact that they become chaotic.   if we get more players then, there will be just 2 LWA's just like before or maybe 3.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #181 on: January 01, 2012, 04:56:03 PM »
you do understand that the people that pay, pay for everybody else to play for free.  just like in wot, it is not free for some as they must pay more than if there was to be a subscription for everybody to pay.  I would switch to free play and fly the free rides, let somebody else pay my way.

but where exactly are you going with these we need more players marketing campaign.     sure you have more numbers, but numbers dont necessarily equal better game play, you just have more numbers. arenas will never have more than 400 or 500 players in them due to the fact that they become chaotic.   if we get more players then, there will be just 2 LWA's just like before or maybe 3.

semp

I'm in agreement with your first paragraph. People value content differently and will choose to pay accordingly.

I didn't understand your second paragraph, sorry.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #182 on: January 01, 2012, 06:30:48 PM »
I'll say this about AH. At least it works. I bought IL2 COD and your lucky to find a server on this side of the pond with anyone in it. And even luckier to even be able to play it. ROF is a nice write but its a WW-l game and you kinda have to be a WW-l nut to play it a lot. WW2OL has turned into a vacant desert with all its bugs and hasnt had a new airplane since I started playing it. That game is on its way out.

Im not saying Im coming back to AH but at least it works and they have a vast selection to fly and drive. Unfortunatly the future of gaming is youth and the WW-2 genre is getting smaller each year. Kids would rather play Skyrim or BF3...ect then keep History alive.

AH is still a good game, with a good crowd. Graphics aint everything believe me.
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #183 on: January 01, 2012, 06:47:20 PM »

semp

Well to clear the way of "moochers" like you I'd set time limits.

Early War arena becomes the free arena. Score doesn't reset in there EVER! Set a limit on score/kills. Once you hit that limit you get a pop-up when you try to join the EW arena that says you have exceeded the training period. To continue to play you must sign up for a subscription. If the numbers are set you could make it run a month of more before a player hits the limit. This gives a person time enough to figure out the game and be able to have more than half a chance in the main arenas. The limit would also keep the "sharks" out of the pond giving the new players a chance to fight players of a more equal skill and so not get discouraged as fast. It could even be set up so that those that already, or have had an account for the last 3 months are automatically locked out. They could make it so "Trainers" were always allowed in there to help out when they could.

This way you have a less hostel environment for new players to get their feet wet and test out the game. With a little coaching from trainers you could bring along a good crowd. As more people are added to the Mains, yes I'm sure we would see the 2 LW arenas or 3 LW arenas be put into effect. As long as the numbers support more arenas, I'm all for it. More places to find a good fight.   

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #184 on: January 01, 2012, 06:58:52 PM »
another problem with the F2P model and AH is that quite a few of the guys who've been around a while only really fly high ENY/EW type aircraft. a significant number of long term subscribers could play the free game with the free aircraft. or just chuck in a few bucks one-off for their favoured MW ride.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #185 on: January 01, 2012, 07:05:07 PM »
another problem with the F2P model and AH is that quite a few of the guys who've been around a while only really fly high ENY/EW type aircraft. a significant number of long term subscribers could play the free game with the free aircraft. or just chuck in a few bucks one-off for their favoured MW ride.

Not if they locked out players after reaching a certain level. After all you can still fly those planes in MW and LW too.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #186 on: January 01, 2012, 07:09:01 PM »
Well to clear the way of "moochers" like you I'd set time limits.

Early War arena becomes the free arena. Score doesn't reset in there EVER! Set a limit on score/kills. Once you hit that limit you get a pop-up when you try to join the EW arena that says you have exceeded the training period. To continue to play you must sign up for a subscription. If the numbers are set you could make it run a month of more before a player hits the limit. This gives a person time enough to figure out the game and be able to have more than half a chance in the main arenas. The limit would also keep the "sharks" out of the pond giving the new players a chance to fight players of a more equal skill and so not get discouraged as fast. It could even be set up so that those that already, or have had an account for the last 3 months are automatically locked out. They could make it so "Trainers" were always allowed in there to help out when they could.

This way you have a less hostel environment for new players to get their feet wet and test out the game. With a little coaching from trainers you could bring along a good crowd. As more people are added to the Mains, yes I'm sure we would see the 2 LW arenas or 3 LW arenas be put into effect. As long as the numbers support more arenas, I'm all for it. More places to find a good fight.   

how long till somebody installs ah on their second laptop and gets into the "beginers" arena and stars pawning everybody just for kicks?  you gonna have sharks everywhere no matter what.

semp

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #187 on: January 01, 2012, 11:41:12 PM »
how long till somebody installs ah on their second laptop and gets into the "beginers" arena and stars pawning everybody just for kicks?  you gonna have sharks everywhere no matter what.

semp

Exactly.  I myself have 72 laptops with 72 unique IP address, and that's in only one of my 13 houses.  That will give me almost unlimited hours to grief new guys with.  I've heard other good players have dozens of laptops for griefing also.

(and just in case this was missed)
/sarcasm

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #188 on: January 02, 2012, 02:14:27 AM »
I've posted this before but I think a tiered system would work.  Give everyone WWI for free to start to learn a few of the basics.  Add EW and the TA for $5/mo., add MW, AvA and DA for $10/mo. and add LW, scenarios/events and access to perk rides (not available with lower subscriptions) for the full subscription price.  This is just an example.  Access, money and time can be tweaked.

This get's people gradually warmed up to the game, fills some of the emptier arenas and might encourage more high ENY plane useage in the LWA since many will cut their teeth on EW/MW planes.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #189 on: January 02, 2012, 03:05:30 AM »
Exactly.  I myself have 72 laptops with 72 unique IP address, and that's in only one of my 13 houses.  That will give me almost unlimited hours to grief new guys with.  I've heard other good players have dozens of laptops for griefing also.

(and just in case this was missed)
/sarcasm

check your pm's i dont want to get banned.

semp
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 03:07:47 AM by guncrasher »

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #190 on: January 02, 2012, 03:45:21 AM »
MK-84, have you played in scenarios yet?  If you haven't (or even if you have), please join us in the next one, which will probably run in March.

What the most-recent scenario was like:

http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/flightsims/scenarios/201110_enemyCoastAhead/aar_frame2.htm

I have in the past, in AH and in AW3 and they BY FAR were the best flying experiences I've had.  I hate to say it but the lower turnout makes it hard for me to justify flying for an hour or more with only 30+ players in the arena.  I cant believe that so few don't drop everything they're doing and join in, but maybe its a self perpetuating problem that I'm now a part of :/

Gonna make it a point to be at the next frame!

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #191 on: January 02, 2012, 04:04:58 AM »
WW1  - free to play
TA / DA / EW / MW   $7.50
MA     $15    

Another possibility make a discounted MA access with only 40+ ENY planes enabled.

For me the arenas are a little under-populated when I play so any incentives could even be time related.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 04:06:50 AM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #192 on: January 02, 2012, 04:09:55 AM »
WW1  - free to play
TA / DA / EW / MW   $7.50
MA     $15    

Another possibility make a discounted MA access with only 40+ ENY planes enabled.

For me the arenas are a little under-populated when I play so any incentives could even be time related.

And what happens if the "cheaper" subscribers think that that is all there is to AH?

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #193 on: January 02, 2012, 04:22:40 AM »
they can see the arena list/player numbers then curiosity will get the better of them and sub up the full price.

Or just put the player numbers visibly on the website somewhere.   People will then be like wow 400 people playing together screw il2's 32-64 player nonsense.    

It seems to me HTC wanted to spread the load across other arenas but everyone wanted to be sticks in the mud and play Main war.  Continuing the gameplay related whines. 

Reduced cost of the "empty" arenas is one way of getting more people in there.

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #194 on: January 02, 2012, 04:28:17 AM »
^ An excellent argument.  I wonder if theres a way to prove/disprove this idea.
On one hand we introduce many people to the game :aok
On another, we feed them unrealistic information as to what it's really like :bhead
Will extending the proverbially carrot be enough to lead them into a paid sub.?