Author Topic: Panzer IV Profiles  (Read 1503 times)

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
Panzer IV Profiles
« on: December 23, 2011, 02:48:57 PM »
Hopefully someone can make up for my lack of scanning, some of the pictures are from very old books and the quality isn't high.

JG 52

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: Panzer IV Profiles
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 09:13:54 AM »
Butcher, if there is one, could you please post the caption of the "B1" green-brown-tan striped camouflaged "H" variant (5th pic down)?  It appears to be a command variant w/o the hull skirt (turret skirt is intact).  Just curious as to what unit, etc.  I just may have a go or commission someone to do it.   ;)  Thanks. 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
Re: Panzer IV Profiles
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 11:06:01 AM »
Butcher, if there is one, could you please post the caption of the "B1" green-brown-tan striped camouflaged "H" variant (5th pic down)?  It appears to be a command variant w/o the hull skirt (turret skirt is intact).  Just curious as to what unit, etc.  I just may have a go or commission someone to do it.   ;)  Thanks. 

Dear lord, I forgot what book that came out of, LOL had to go through many to find it - It came from the Armor at War series, Panzers of the Ardennes Offense 44-45

Pz.Beob.WgIV Ausf.J, SS-Pz.Art.Reg. 12, 12.SS Panzer-Division, Weiswampach, Luxembourg, December 1944

This is a rare Panzerbeobachtungswagen IV fitted with a Sturmgeschutz III cupola in place of the standard Pz.Kpfw.IV cupola. A Star antenna for the FuG8 radio set was fitted to a mount protected by an armored housing on the upper right side of the rear hull and the antenna for the FuG4 was relocated to the right side of the turret roof. A TSF 1 rotating periscope was fitted to the left side of the turret roof as well. It is painted in red primer with a camouflage scheme of dark yellow and green patches.
JG 52