Author Topic: Hangar has the ability to repair damaged airplanes  (Read 1465 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: Hangar has the ability to repair damaged airplanes
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 07:34:55 AM »
Hmm GV's use supplies to instantly repair damage that would have them in the repair shop for weeks at a time.

So why not have another concession to gameyness?  Or better yet get rid of gv's ability to repair with supplies.

SF

+1 on some form of repair hangars.  To my way of thinking, the biggest concession to gameyness is already part of the game - the ability to tower out and instantly relaunch the same plane; completely repaired.   Allowing a pilot to land and attempt to taxi to a repair hangar, wait inside a few minutes while the repair is made and then taxi out to the runway and roll is a concession toward realism, in my view.  Even though the repair time would be drastically shorter than what would be required in real life, recognizing that it requires at least some time for repairs more realistic than the instantaneous repair we have now.

It's interesting that this idea keeps resurfacing, and it seems to be different people bringing it up each time.   Hitech did weigh in on it once, stating he couldn't see implementing it unless it ended the sortie.   That takes away a big incentive for investing the time to do the repairs so I don't know how many people would do it.   

I've been scratching my realism itch when it occurs by re-rolling with a different skin, or different a/c.

Offline vafiii

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 11:02:43 AM »
+1 as long as the repairs are not instantaneous. There needs to be a 10 or 15 minute wait while repairs are being made.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 01:06:21 PM »
+1 on some form of repair hangars.  To my way of thinking, the biggest concession to gameyness is already part of the game - the ability to tower out and instantly relaunch the same plane; completely repaired.   Allowing a pilot to land and attempt to taxi to a repair hangar, wait inside a few minutes while the repair is made and then taxi out to the runway and roll is a concession toward realism, in my view.  Even though the repair time would be drastically shorter than what would be required in real life, recognizing that it requires at least some time for repairs more realistic than the instantaneous repair we have now.

It's interesting that this idea keeps resurfacing, and it seems to be different people bringing it up each time.   Hitech did weigh in on it once, stating he couldn't see implementing it unless it ended the sortie.   That takes away a big incentive for investing the time to do the repairs so I don't know how many people would do it.   

I've been scratching my realism itch when it occurs by re-rolling with a different skin, or different a/c.

idea keeps coming back because people forget he said that.  they think that if you keep on asking that it will go the way of the m18.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 04:14:19 PM »

Planes don't taxi into maintenance hangers. They are either pushed in or towed. Yes in many Air Forces now there are hardened shelters the plane taxi into and are refueled and re armed for the next mission or maintenance is done on the aircraft after their sorties are completed. Pilots don't taxi damaged aircraft into hangers and sit in them while they are repaired. In fact if a plane aborts before takeoff for some little problem that can't immediatly be fixed the pilot will exit the aircraft leaving it for the ground crew to repair and go to a spare. In most cases pilots rarely rearm and take off again immediatly even if their aircraft is in perfect condition. They exit the aircraft and go to debrief thus ending the sortie. When they get back in their aircraft it's the start of another sortie.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline 11Kenzy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 09:51:47 PM »
+1 as long as the repairs are not instantaneous. There needs to be a 10 or 15 minute wait while repairs are being made.
For me, I'd rather have a 5-min wait for the repairs to finish,

Regards,
Kenneth Jr. :salute
Kenzy Shooter is coming to get you with my P-51D!!! :salute

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 01:07:48 AM »
For me, I'd rather have a 5-min wait for the repairs to finish,

Regards,

did you notice the part where hitech mentioned only way he can do this is if the sortie is ended?  would you still want to continue waiting when pressing .ef will do it faster anyway?

semp

Offline 11Kenzy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 05:30:29 AM »
Dude, I don't want to lose m progress like especially in missions because if you end a sortie in a offline mission, the mission is dismissed without success and you have to start all over! :bhead

Regards,

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2011, 10:01:21 AM »
I just reread what Shifty wrote and its finally starting to sink in.   And he ought to know, as I think he spent 20+ years maintaining a/c for the USAF.   <S>!

I think also I misused the term realism - I think 'immersion' would've been more to correct to say.   I believe you, its absolutely unrealistic to have repairs done while sitting in the cockpit.   So maybe rolling on the next sortie with a different skin or different aircraft altogether is a better solution than I had realized.

A good example, for me anyway, that the game is what I make of it.  :aok

Offline 11Kenzy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2011, 07:43:51 PM »
Dudes, it's just a game!  :) Why make out unrealistic points if it's just a game? Just enjoy the fun!

Offline Gr8pape

• Copper Member
      • Swamp Revel Computers
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2012, 08:03:24 PM »
No thanks. It took days and weeks to repair aircraft. Even just a patch job took a lot of time. I suppose you could sit in the hangers for an hour or two to "simulate" the wait, but why would you? Just grab another plane and launch. If your worried about score, or getting your name in lights, the time you spend sitting in the hanger could be used better to PRACTICE and get better so you can much easily have your name in lights as well as a better score.

+10
I would rather try and fail, than not try at all. (paraphrased)
F.D. Roosevelt

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2012, 09:09:35 PM »
Dudes, it's just a game!  :) Why make out unrealistic points if it's just a game? Just enjoy the fun!

Well, isn't the point here to discuss the pros and cons of the wish posted?
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2012, 09:10:36 PM »

;)

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2012, 10:25:44 PM »
only if you have to actually wait for 3 days or so.
 :D some people will still think it is worth it
Remember 08/08/2012
 Youtube videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/raphael103/featured
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2012, 10:35:19 PM »
Well, isn't the point here to discuss the pros and cons of the wish posted?

It's cool to discuss the pros and cons.

cons:

-hitech has indicated that the only way he can have the airplane repair wish implemented is if he was to end the sortie.
-it will waste time going to the repair pad since it will end sorty anyway.

pros:

-you dont have to type  .ef to end sorty.  just go park in the repair hangar and wait for a few minutes.
-you dont have to go to the tower to start a new sortie.

those are just the pros/cons that I can come up in 2 minutes.

semp

and this concludes my new years resolution.  #3 of 3.