Author Topic: Midway  (Read 8183 times)

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Midway
« Reply #225 on: January 09, 2012, 05:31:24 AM »
I can say this about Midway... He's not afraid to fight. Even when at a disadvantage, he stays and does his best.

We've spent a few hours in the TA, where I wanted to assess his skill level and get an idea where he is weakest. I've made a standing offer to meet with him on Tuesday evenings in the TA to work on what I observed.

A few things he can practice any time...

Be quicker on the reverse. Begin this by never meeting straight-on, nose to nose. Grab some angles prior to the merge. Every degree of advantage you grab there translates to the second merge, where you can manage a crossing shot if you get enough angle.

In a turning fight, be careful about reversing your turn. You rarely gain anything, and it usually costs you.

Don't use flaps in a Spitfire so much.. They decrease turn radius relatively little, at the price of killing E (and by consequence, turn rate). IE: When you dumped flaps in an attempt to out-turn my 109G-2, I took the fight vertical and you had no E to follow. Manage your E better. An advantage in speed can allow you to fight up and down, whereas your opponent must now react to you. One method that will force you to conserve E is to fly a fighter than climbs and accelerates poorly. The P-40s and Ki-61 are some examples. Both of these types have poor flaps that create a lot of drag for little gain in turn radius. Get them slow and you get dead quickly.

Practice flying and turning on the edge of the stall. I'll show you a technique that will help you develop this skill. You want to be able to turn the smallest circle possible. With practice, no one will ever out-turn you in the same aircraft type. Match you? Perhaps, but not be superior.

Duel in dissimilar aircraft. This enables you to learn how to deal with various fighter's attributes and quickly learn their weaknesses.

Spend more time in other aircraft. If you specialize in one or two types, you limit yourself. I refer to the F4Us and F6F vs F4U duels. Your goal should be to be proficient in all types.

Practice judging E states. You need, more than anything else, to equalize E states. If you engage with a significant E disadvantage, you're already on the short end. A reasonably skilled opponent will capitalize on his E state advantage and keep you slow by forcing you to evade, until you're so slow that you can't change your aspect enough to avoid getting hit.

Keep practicing. However, you need to break some old habits and cultivate new ones.

:) :salute

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #226 on: January 09, 2012, 11:43:30 AM »
I gotta ask this question, just who is Midway and why do all of you even care?  I don't know him but I know he is no FlightSim legend and the ones that are the FPH's aren't the legends of the FlightSim Community.  The hot shot killers run their course and fade but those who code, skin, make maps and soundpacks, and do the thankless support jobs like farming out donated parts to keep players playing (TequilaChaser comes to mind), and those who create and run the various scenerios and events are the true Legends of the FlightSim Community (Airwarrior, WarBirds, FighterAce, and Aces High), well their deeds have been running for over 20+ years and will continue.  Those that want to ankle hump the FPH's can have at it but you are missing the entire spirit of the whole community.

...nuff said...

All the Best...
              Jay
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #227 on: January 09, 2012, 11:51:27 AM »
I gotta ask this question, just who is Midway and why do all of you even care?  I don't know him but I know he is no FlightSim legend and the ones that are the FPH's aren't the legends of the FlightSim Community.  The hot shot killers run their course and fade but those who code, skin, make maps and soundpacks, and do the thankless support jobs like farming out donated parts to keep players playing (TequilaChaser comes to mind), and those who create and run the various scenerios and events are the true Legends of the FlightSim Community (Airwarrior, WarBirds, FighterAce, and Aces High), well their deeds have been running for over 20+ years and will continue.  Those that want to ankle hump the FPH's can have at it but you are missing the entire spirit of the whole community.

...nuff said...

All the Best...
              Jay

:headscratch: :salute :rock

:old:  :airplane: :joystick:

:noid :uhoh

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #228 on: January 09, 2012, 03:16:50 PM »
:headscratch: :salute :rock

:old:  :airplane: :joystick:

:noid :uhoh

I guess you don't understand it huh?

awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #229 on: January 09, 2012, 03:25:08 PM »
I guess you don't understand it huh?

:headscratch: :uhoh