Author Topic: Preventing Shade Accounts  (Read 4557 times)

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
Re: Preventing Shade Accounts
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 07:27:45 AM »
I have two accounts that both are on different countries (most of the time)
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 08:28:52 AM »
If, if, if...

Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 08:42:35 AM »
 :noid

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 09:18:54 AM »
I have two accounts that both are on different countries (most of the time)
Are they both logged in at the same time? Would you be willing to share the purpose of this?

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 09:26:45 AM »
Are they both logged in at the same time? Would you be willing to share the purpose of this?

Sure I'll share.

Nope, never logged in at the same time.

I created a second account some time ago to allow squad mates who were no longer playing to fly FSOs if they wanted to (sorry for breaking any rules  :bolt:) . It didn't get used much, so I re-upped the subscription and joined an up and coming squad that I though sounded like fun. So now I fly both. If fights are lacking or squaddies aren't on, I can jump accounts and fly on a different country where things might not be as stale.

The account was never intended to be a shade, which is why I include both of my ingame callsigns and squadron affiliations in my signature here on the BBS.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 09:35:24 AM »
I don't understand the concern with 'spying' in Aces High.

Then again, I don't own any tinfoil hats.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 09:37:30 AM by Delirium »
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 09:47:48 AM »
I can understand having 2 accounts for 2 different countries and the line is drawn so that no commingling is done, that is just fine.   But what gets me is when people have a shade account and use it for the own gain.  I've heard it on vox outright someone saying that is how they find out where the NOE missions are going, or where the next gathering of the horde is taking place.  That, is just wrong.  It is called cheating.

FWIW... I believe HTC has tied in IP numbers so that a person cant keep making new shade accounts over and over on their lap top.  Not sure though.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 10:47:16 AM »
Hmm...  I think I may have a solution for this.  Bear with me, the procedure may be slightly invasive, but I believe it is worth it to halt the cheating.

We start with the account sign-in process.  Each user will be fingerprinted, a DNA sample will be taken, and a retinal and face scan will be taken.  All that will be required is that you show up at HTC's office in Grapevine for processing.  Typical processing time should only be on the order of 1 to 2 hours.

At this time, you will be able to purchase the specially modified flight controls of your choice, be it Saitek, CH products, Logitech, or Thrustmaster at first, with other manufacturers to be added in based on demand.  The specially modified flight controls will contain fingerprint and other biometric sensors which will positively identify you before you may log into the game.  You will also be issued a 'gaming pod' which will be a ten foot diameter sphere composed of metal and carbon fiber which will act as both an electromagnetic shield to prevent people using portable electronic devices to cheat and a visual shield so people cannot see your display from any angle.

The game pod will have a time delay so that once you enter it, you will not be able to log into the game for 90 minutes to strike a balance between any previous information you may have had before entering the pod is dated, and playability.

The system will also come with a series of webcams that will send a continuous 360 degree video stream of you at your PC back to HTC.  These cameras will monitor your actions.  Microphones will also be active to detect possible auditory clues to other countries' gameplay such as someone else yelling from another room, morse code being tapped on the wall, or several other possibilities we're not going to discuss to make it more difficult for the cheaters.

The cameras will also monitor your presence at your PC.  Should you exit your game pod for any reason, your account will be immediately logged out and you will be unable to log in for the next 12 hours to ensure that you cannot take advantage of any information you might glean from other sources such as forum boards, telephones, texting, or morse code coming from your neighbors.

Randomly timed DNA samples will be taken by the controllers to add another layer of security to the biometric system and ensure that you have not somehow defeated the other measures, and gotten plastic surgery to defeat the facial recognition system.

Of course, a slot will be available for others to pass you food and beverages in your pod, and there will be lavatory fittings as well.  All items passing into and out of the pod will be thoroughly screened by x-ray, video, and sonic scan to ensure no information is being passed either into or out of the pod.

At a cost of a mere $40,000, is it not worth it to be able to play the game without having to worry about cheaters?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 11:09:16 AM »
I don't understand the concern with 'spying' in Aces High.

Then again, I don't own any tinfoil hats.

(Image removed from quote.)

Would you like one?  What is your hat size?

You must provide your own adornments, however.  Guaranteed to keep the shades away.

Offline PAKFRONT

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012, 11:14:45 AM »
OH NO, Major Hockschtetter is here too??
Damn GESTAPO everywhere.. Bioscan to play AH5 huh???
Youtube game channel, Megaflammenpost
Password of the day = DEMARKATION!

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2012, 11:54:39 AM »
Sure I'll share.

Nope, never logged in at the same time.

I created a second account some time ago to allow squad mates who were no longer playing to fly FSOs if they wanted to (sorry for breaking any rules  :bolt:) . It didn't get used much, so I re-upped the subscription and joined an up and coming squad that I though sounded like fun. So now I fly both. If fights are lacking or squaddies aren't on, I can jump accounts and fly on a different country where things might not be as stale.

The account was never intended to be a shade, which is why I include both of my ingame callsigns and squadron affiliations in my signature here on the BBS.

I don't see any issue with the way you are using the two accounts (not at the same time), and that you are open about the names of your accounts.

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2012, 11:58:27 AM »
I can understand having 2 accounts for 2 different countries and the line is drawn so that no commingling is done, that is just fine.   But what gets me is when people have a shade account and use it for the own gain.  I've heard it on vox outright someone saying that is how they find out where the NOE missions are going, or where the next gathering of the horde is taking place.  That, is just wrong.  It is called cheating.

FWIW... I believe HTC has tied in IP numbers so that a person cant keep making new shade accounts over and over on their lap top.  Not sure though.
You hit the nail on the head... and I think for the first time I finally agree with SmokinLoon :)

Regards,

Pandemonium

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 12:23:51 PM »
There are two areas I would like to identify that have irritated me on this thread:

1.  While not coming out and specifically saying it, many people that have posted here are defending the use of shade accounts and endorsing cheating in-game.  Basically, by implying nothing needs to be done about this, they are saying it is OK and that cheating is not an issue.

2.  I have tried to post what I believe is a serious topic and concern about many people's enjoyment of the game.  The non-stop jokes, smiley faces, useless posts, and stupid pictures infect almost every thread on the forum like a virus, taking away from the original purpose of each topic.  Just like a squelch in AH, another wishlist item would be to have a squelch preference in the Forum, effectively hiding all posts from the user(s) identified, as 98% of everything they post is unproductive trash.  Hi-tech has created a forum called "The O'Club," specifically identified for this purpose.   I can only ask that everyone keep that behavior where it belongs.

With this post, I am not looking for a response to number 2, just looking for everyone to read, acknowledge, and think about the basic consideration of others.

Regards,

Pandemonium

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2012, 12:27:55 PM »
I sincerely doubt that your concern about shade accounts is anywhere proportional to the actual threat.  I say HTC has that area pretty well under control.  

I particularly think it is cool for one guy to fly several sets of bombers, from a "command center" somewhere in his home or "lab".  After seeing such a guy at work, my concern turned from "should THIS be okay?" to "I hope he can filter his check 6 warnings"   :lol

I think what Buster described, was at best what I would call being a good host to his friends.  Especially, since the account is maintained the same as any squadmate would have been able to do on their own.

In the very slim instances when accounts are used to pump scores or recon enemy action, I prefer to take the position that those sad occurances nowhere reflect the state of the game today.  

Maybe with the invent of new technologies, these sort of things would never be avoidable anyhow if someone really wanted to do it.  Some folks are just the kind to do it and say how are you gonna stop me, if you say it is not allowed.  Basically, you would be creating a new market for AHCheat devices, etc.  Well, that's the way I see it anyways.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 12:37:31 PM »