Author Topic: How do I set autospeed back to the default settings?  (Read 506 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
How do I set autospeed back to the default settings?
« on: January 12, 2012, 07:17:50 PM »
Does anybody here know how to set the autospeed (most people probably think of it as autoclimb) back to the default speed settings?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: How do I set autospeed back to the default settings?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 07:29:39 PM »
Don't you just have to turn it off and then turn it back on to reset the speed?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 07:42:25 PM »

ack-ack
No.   If you know what the default speed is.  You can set it just like you changed it.  But I don't think there is a command for default speed.   So before you change it. You should check out what is was to start with
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 07:42:55 PM »

ack-ack
Just tested it.  Works kinda halfway between what I thought and what you thought.  If you set .speed 250, Alt-X will try to hold your indicated airspeed at 250 for that sortie.  If you end the sortie and do another sortie the Alt-X speed is back to default.  I thought it kept the .speed setting you had entered as the new Alt-X speed for that aircraft until it was overwritten with a new .speed setting or, somehow, reset to default.  On a given sortie the .speed command does overwrite the default Alt-X speed for the entire sortie.

Thanks for the pointer.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 06:33:17 AM »
Good to know. I would have guessed it reset when you started AH.  :aok

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 11:45:04 AM »

WWhiskey is correct. There is no key to return to default climb speed; you must know what the default climb speed is before changing it, and then manually re-enter the default climb speed to go back to it using the " .speed " command. And, as Karnak found out, it does revert to the default speed after you end that sortie, but not before.

To find out what the default speed is on climb-out, engage Auto-Speed (ALT X), let the aircraft fly stable for a few seconds, open the E6B and read the " indicated " airspeed. What you read as " indicated " is the default climb speed.

Another thing to know is that if you have re-set the default climb speed to another speed, and you re-arm using the re-arm pad, and you do not revert to the default climb speed manually,  it will remain set at whatever setting you put it at. So when taking off after re-arming and you forget that you reset the default climb speed, and you engage auto speed, it will happily comply, go nose down to gain air speed, and potentially fly you into the ground.
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 05:36:05 PM »
IMO They should set it up so that if you type    .speed 0    then it resets it to default.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 05:46:48 PM »
or even just .speed :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli