Author Topic: hardrive just for game  (Read 355 times)

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
hardrive just for game
« on: January 13, 2012, 03:25:04 AM »
I did that performance score test on my pc and everything was 7.1 -7.5 and the base score was 5.6 due to hardrive.
I know these scores are usualy amount to nothing but a score, but would a spearate drive with just game be of any benefit?

My current drive WD6400AAKS-22A7B2 600GB

My PC has 3 extra bays to put another drive in so instalation seems straight forward :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: hardrive just for game
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 03:30:28 AM »
I did that performance score test on my pc and everything was 7.1 -7.5 and the base score was 5.6 due to hardrive.
I know these scores are usualy amount to nothing but a score, but would a spearate drive with just game be of any benefit?

My current drive WD6400AAKS-22A7B2 600GB

My PC has 3 extra bays to put another drive in so instalation seems straight forward :)

The windows performance test is useless. Unless your current hdd is full you'd be just wasting your money to get a new one.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 03:30:56 AM »
no, you will still have the same latencies/access times and throughput.
ssd = 7.7, and faster reboot/app load times.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 10:26:38 AM »
Yup... having a second hard drive allows you to move the page file to a separate drive which theoretically could increase performance but I can tell you from experience you won't notice the difference.

The only way to bring up that score is to install a faster hard drive such as a Velociraptor or an SSD.  I personally have a Velociraptor but was very disappointed in the very slight performance benefits it brought to me.  My money would have definitely been better spent on a better video card instead.

SSD drives can allow you to boot and load programs EXTREMELY FAST but unless the program you use constantly accesses the hard drive (Aces High doesn't) then you won't see any performance benefits after that.  There are still a few issues with SSD drives with longevity and compatibility that are gradually getting worked out and while they've come a long long way I still don't feel they are nearly as reliable as old school hard drives.

I've heard that SSD drives bring a HUGE improvement to movie editing and CAD (3D) design applications, and they definitely bring a HUGE improvement to many gamers' egos and bragging rights but if you don't do movie editing or 3D design on a regular basis, I personally feel that once the coolness factor of windows booting a just a few seconds wears off you might end up regretting the decision to purchase one.

But if bragging rights and benchmark tests are important to you or if you just want to play with one then go for it!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 10:33:41 AM »
Using a second hard drive just for playing AH would give you some benefit, if you either make your computer double booting or use a Mobile Rack to change the disk between boots. The idea is to have only the bare necessities on the AH disk and to keep it that way. With today's high HDD prices I doubt you'd benefit enough, though.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 01:12:50 PM »
cheers  :aok

i won't bother then   :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario