Author Topic: Aviation user fees  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
Re: Aviation user fees
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2012, 08:30:29 PM »
I was a safety pilot for a friend in his bonanza today - $326 to fill it up after we were finished flying. We pay mo plenty taxes
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2012, 09:14:49 PM »
I was a safety pilot for a friend in his bonanza today - $326 to fill it up after we were finished flying. We pay mo plenty taxes

$418 to fill the twin star up, and that's jet A so it's cheaper. (But I never really fill it up completely)
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2012, 09:23:07 PM »
$418 to fill the twin star up, and that's jet A so it's cheaper. (But I never really fill it up completely)

it cost about $100 to fill the skyhawk up - the trick is to never let it get very low! LOL to fill it up completely at $5 a gallon would be $200
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2012, 09:30:18 PM »
it cost about $100 to fill the skyhawk up - the trick is to never let it get very low! LOL to fill it up completely at $5 a gallon would be $200

Yeah that works, I don't like when the tanks are low either. Also I almost never fill up the aux tanks.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2012, 09:33:43 PM »
Yeah that works, I don't like when the tanks are low either. Also I almost never fill up the aux tanks.

I put 24 gallons in today. That wasnt a pleasant experience. I burn 8-10 depending on how high and fast I want to go, so it isnt as bad as some. My friends bonanza burns 15  :eek:

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2012, 09:40:13 PM »
I put 24 gallons in today. That wasnt a pleasant experience. I burn 8-10 depending on how high and fast I want to go, so it isnt as bad as some. My friends bonanza burns 15  :eek:

Yeah but the bonanza is faster, so the extra fuel is justified.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2012, 10:07:39 PM »
I'd pay $100 to get a view like this.

but I'm glad I dont have to  :D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 10:09:34 PM by Tupac »

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2012, 10:58:53 PM »
Im not saying it isnt. Im just saying that its got to be funded somehow and if its in use for your safety its logical that you be charged something for its use.

ATC is funded and has a funding stream that has been in place for many years already. What they want is additional funding based on something that constitutes a very small fraction, figure in single digit proportion to their primary job. They are funded through fuel tax, and ticket sales as well as fees on the heavies / commercials. Those folks are the vast majority of their operation because all of their flights are in controlled airspace with flight following. This also includes military flights, also in controlled airspace.

Charging small aircraft is placing a burden far out of proportion to what they do for those flights. The euros did that and small aircraft flight is a rich persons hobby now. The same would happen in the US. Saying they are not going to hit the private aircraft is fallacious as already noted many private aircraft are used for profit and therefor subject to the fee. The rest of the private aircraft would be added soon after they are implemented. Share the wealth and all that bovine excrement.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2012, 12:21:44 AM »
post deleted
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 02:32:58 AM by MachFly »
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2012, 02:07:49 AM »
I have some numbers which might or might not matter to owners.

The first is my cost of ownership - all included.

The second, is the neighbor next door to me. Don't show these to the wives.

Three reactions:

1) There's a reason most of us don't do this

2) OUCH!

3) I'm glad I bought mine slightly used - takes some of the depreciation edge off.

As for the $100 per hour, for used aircraft - it'll make a dent. For new - well, maybe - maybe not. Either way, good luck on the gov trying to collect that.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2012, 02:32:05 AM »
As for the $100 per hour, for used aircraft - it'll make a dent. For new - well, maybe - maybe not. Either way, good luck on the gov trying to collect that.

I don't think we should even be concerned out it. If one guy has a dumb idea it does not mean that everyone will agree. Such thing will kill general aviation and damage the airline industry, therefore screwing up the economy even more.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2012, 09:25:05 AM »
Local prices for fuel:

100LL: $5.75
Jet A: $5.50

Are fuel is a bit more expensive and it's also taxed. No need to make us pay another $100/flight.

Paying $5.79 for 100LL myself. Tax included of course.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2012, 09:27:32 AM »

Makes ya want to run out and buy a high performance aircraft, doesn't it?  :) I can hook you up with a Bonanza seller if you're interested  :aok

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2012, 09:34:48 AM »
If we can do to rechargeable batteries what we did to semiconductors, then electric airplanes might be the future.

-Penguin

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2012, 09:40:32 AM »
If we can do to rechargeable batteries what we did to semiconductors, then electric airplanes might be the future.

-Penguin

Don't count on it.