Author Topic: Saitek X-65F vs X-52 Pro  (Read 5643 times)

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
Re: Saitek X-65F vs X-52 Pro
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 02:37:44 PM »
I have an X52 (non-pro) sitting in the closet which still works great after using it many hours a week for well over four years.  Its only flaw is a tiny, tiny bit of mechanical play.  That stick never gave me any trouble so I keep it as a backup.

I upgraded to a G940 about 17 months ago which I love but had to severely mod to get it to work correctly.  Unless you like to tinker and find an awesome deal on one I WOULD NOT recommend it.

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 08:55:18 PM »
All of my Saitek sticks still work 100%: X-36 USB, X-45, X-52 Pro. I have a Thrustmaster Warthog now as well. I like the X-52 Pro stick the best. I love the Warthog throttle, but the stick is stiff and has center detents that make find movements around center extremely difficult. I am getting used to the Warthog and love the Target programming software. The X-36 isn't supported in Windows 7 (it works but no driver for the programming software). The X-45 has been cut up to work with my real F-4 Phantom stick. I use that for flying F-4 Phantoms and other jets in Strike Fighters 2 series games., but use the Warthog throttle. The X-52 Pro is now my son's stick since I but up the X-45. The X-52 Pro throttle has great ergonomics and the thumbwheels are great fro trim control, but the Warthog throttle is a dual throttle and has an awesome selection of switches. If all of my sticks suddenly failed right now, I would get an X-52 Pro or maybe try a CH stick. I don't care for the CH pedals or throttle. Even with the great deal I got on the Warthog ($350 vice the usual $500+ retail), for me it is at best equal to the X-52 Pro unless you really like the feel of cold steel.

I understand (as posted by many above) that a lot of people have reliability issues and durability issues with Saitek sticks. So, I must be lucky. The X-36 was bought in the fall of 2000 and was my primary stick for years before I got an X-45. The only reason I bought the X-52 Pro was that it was on sale for $100. The X-45 spring centering system was annoying. The X-36 was much better. The X-52 Pro largely gave me back the smooth light feeling of the X-36. I have Saitek rudder pedals, so I don't need/use twisty stick or rudder rocker. But, I think I liked the rudder rocker on the throttle of the X-36 and X-45 throttle better than the twisty stick setup of the X-52 Pro. Warthog is useless without rudder pedals. None of the available axes on the throttle make a good rudder control and the stick is not a twisty. I am glad I have rudder pedals or I wouldn't even bother to use the Warthog!
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 07:25:51 PM »
I just tested out and ordered a Thrustmaster Warthog - I had an X-52 Pro for a week before I returned it, 15 minutes after testing a thrustmaster Warthog a week ago, I went home and ordered one right away, I refuse to settle for anything less.

It just feels like a combat joystick, the X-52 was so sensitive a pinky could move it - X-65F I know doesn't "move" as a warthog and much cheaper, it would be an option if you are on a budget.

I tried to get used to the X-52, but that sensitivity doesn't work when you are used to stiff joysticks, barely move it and you can stall an aircraft out.
It comes down to personal experience and such, honestly I can't wait.
JG 52