Author Topic: Spit IX Inverted Flat Spin  (Read 498 times)

Offline Buckaroo

• Zinc Member
      • 3-in-1: Lathe_Mill_Drill (metal machine shop)
Spit IX Inverted Flat Spin
« on: January 14, 2012, 05:53:40 AM »
Actually I was not spinning at all.  Just headed upside down to the ground.

I was playing around, Mid-War, heart shaped "V" map.  I went straight up, full power, full left rudder trying to do a "Hammerhead" (probably wrong) and got into a flat, inverted spin, but no spin.  I tried everything I could think of, except turn off Combat Trim (which I forgot to do).  Nothing worked to escape it.  I bailed and the plane fell on top of me!  LOL!

La-7 will do it, too if I get too slow on landing, but not inverted.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Spit IX Inverted Flat Spin
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 08:51:02 AM »
There are some stalls you can't recover from depending on which aircraft you're in.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 10:08:59 AM »
Many of the Spits do this (Not sure about the VIII, XIV or XVI but the I, V and IX do it for sure).  It's funny that in all the years I've been flying Spits it's only happened to me once.  I once heard that completely turning off the engine helped but I'm not sure if that's true or not.  It doesn't seem likely since the Mk I would kill inverted anyway.

I won a duel against batfinkv one day when the same thing happened to him in Spit I's so it happens to the best.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 01:21:19 PM »
In a Spit9 turning your engine off for a few moments and neutralising your controls usually gets your nose low again. With a Spitfire Mark I you have to Elvis Presley your way out of it and still it's about a 1 in 4 because of the dead engine.
”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 05:29:18 PM »
Turn the engine off!!!! let stick go...neutral all controls.

This WILL drop the nose and then you can power up....easy easy....no throttle to full..dont turn engine back on in full power or you get a tork roll and spin again unless you have airspeed.

This works in ALL planes. But you do need enough alt to get the nose to drop and gain airspeed so that your control surfaces will become effective.

IF you are very low as soon as the nose drops reel out flaps. This will help you avoid the ground when you gain elev authority...but be careful as at low speed using the elev with flaps like this can cause a snap roll...got to be eaaassssyyyy.

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 08:42:28 PM »
You went left...that your first problem!  :aok
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3