Author Topic: tanks  (Read 342 times)

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
tanks
« on: April 10, 2000, 02:14:00 PM »
 could we have something on the clipbord saying how many players are in tanks. Not countrys. just number of players. or number in planes.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
tanks
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2000, 02:29:00 PM »
Conversely, I would like LESS information about vehicles, eliminate the sector counters for them.  I think vehicles would be more fun and more viable if they were harder to detect.

Check the roster...150 players online....
Look at the map...only about 30 enemy sector counters....

Time for some low level sweeps!  

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
tanks
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2000, 02:35:00 PM »
Absolutely, Tanks are too easy to detect.  How about  no dot for tanks, let them  take advantage of their camo, leave  icons at D3.0 where it is?

Offline MiG Eater

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.avphoto.com
tanks
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2000, 09:16:00 PM »
Regarding the visibility of tanks:

Having viewed tank battles up close and personal (as an observer at Ft. Irwin), there are really two sides the tank visibility problem.

A tank standing still with even a moderate camoflage that matches the terrain is very difficult to see from the air.  Without optical aids (binoculars, FLIR, etc.), a tank is fairly safe from being picked out.  However, once it starts to move you can see it from many miles away.  In a dry, treeless, sandy or dusty ground environment you can see movement of tanks well beyond normal visual ranges because of the dirt plumes they kick up.  Even without the plumes, the eye is sensitive to movement and can pick out that movement at great distances.  Of course even a tank with good camoflage becomes quite visible, if only for a moment, if it fires it main weapon.

So, I'll throw out an idea:

Make a ground vehicle more difficult to spot if it is not moving.

MiG

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
tanks
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2000, 09:31:00 PM »
 works for me. tanks should just be a dot on the ground. Nothing red

JFalk

tanks
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2000, 09:39:00 PM »
I agree, if its not moving make it more difficult to see, of course in the desert a moving tank kicks up quite a bit of dust, why not model some visual cues, that would make a moving/firing tank more visable. Im for completely removing them off radar, after all how could radar pick up something on the ground?

Offline Rendar

• Copper Member
tanks
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2000, 10:28:00 PM »
I think only airborne radar in A-G mode can pick up ground targets.  The A-A radar goes only to 300+ ft above the surface.  

------------------
mp-ten
Lt. J.G. VF-100 "The Haze"

Hotdog

tanks
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2000, 12:32:00 AM »
I agree and have posted about this before, tanks dont need to be a dot at all, all thats
needed is a icon at 1k so as to id if he is red or geen, even 3k is too much, do this jump online and in a plane find a tank (yours or theres) get to 3k when the icon pops up and then switch them off (ALT I) now fly around a bit and come back and try and find that sucker again, now get low under 1.5 k and switch icons back on find the tank again and then switch of icons again, it a bit more easy to spot him but still hard.

Tankers need every help they can get in AH if they are not to become just target parctise/cannon fodder for AC flying around looking for a quick kill, AH needs to make the AC pilot work at finding those tanks and give the tankers a real good chance of sneaking up on positions for a attack. The inclusion of dust being kicked up would be cool to why tanks were on the move, but if dust was to be modeled, i would knock icon range down to maybe 500m, another suggestion you could even make icons stick out at say 2k if the tank was moveing and then 500m if the tanks were stopped and not included dust at all if it was too hard to do.

Hotdog (Hellman for 2 week trail)

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
tanks
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2000, 07:13:00 PM »
Those laser rangefinders are luxury