Author Topic: Why the Icon Range Change for GV's?  (Read 10479 times)

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
Re: Why the Icon Range Change for GV's?
« Reply #195 on: January 25, 2012, 02:40:28 PM »
GET READY TO RUMBLE!
Remember 08/08/2012
 Youtube videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/raphael103/featured
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #196 on: January 25, 2012, 03:32:33 PM »

The B5n was just an example. I wasn't actually comparing the B5N's impact to the Lancasters.

And in actual gameplay, Lancasters do very rarely "totally disrupt" tank battles by bombing tanks. They do disrupt them... by bombing the VH's. That is their true main impact on gameplay. As a tank buster on the actual battlefield, they are rare and overall quite ineffective. Only few pilots use Lancs regularly to hunt GVs, and on average they don't get that many kills as one could expect when looking at the (theoretically) impressive number of 42 bombs. The A-20 is much more impressive, both in overall GV kills as well as the number of kills being landed per sortie.
The actual tactical impact of the Lancaster on the battlefield is quite small.
I've been trying to tell him that, but he keeps insisting I don't know what I am talking about and that Lancasters have a major impact on GV fights.  He insists that the stats are wrong and Lancasters are wreaking wholesale slaughter on GVs and stopping their fights by killing them.

tsk tsk tsk

Anyone can take any set of stats of make them say anything they want those stats to say.   :aok
No, that is a pat saying but completely false.  The stats don't lie.  Lancasters are only responsible for a tiny fraction of GV kills, the majority of their attacks doing nothing but blowing holes in the dirt.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline DarkHawk

• Copper Member
« Reply #197 on: January 25, 2012, 03:40:53 PM »
now you can try out the new icon system it is in the new update

have fun

dhawk
49DHawk
XO for BOWL (DHawk)

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #198 on: January 25, 2012, 04:18:31 PM »
I've been trying to tell him that, but he keeps insisting I don't know what I am talking about and that Lancasters have a major impact on GV fights.  He insists that the stats are wrong and Lancasters are wreaking wholesale slaughter on GVs and stopping their fights by killing them.

Are you referring to me?

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
« Reply #199 on: January 25, 2012, 07:10:47 PM »
Not so.  I'm willing to bet that A20 pilots didnt carry binocs while searching out enemy tanks to bomb.  Also, the A20's knew to where within a few hundreds yards where they were going to bomb, their targets were mostly preset before launch.  

The spotter aircraft went up *looking* for the enemy.  They were flying slow enough to look, look again, and triple look, and then some, with binocs, all in the same pass.  

If anything, HTC should make the icon ranges relative to the speed of the aircraft, but then again which aircraft can fly 100mph well enough, have the same visibility, and was designed to do what the Storch did?  But more so, that is probably a major coding issue.

This is adding another dimension to AH.  Perhaps people should try it out first before performing their best imitation of Chicken Little.   :aok
your right, they might not have, but you don't know that. However, that's besides the point. neither did the Storch or L-Bird pilots... there is a second seat in the planes for a reason... for the observer that was on every flight. Only he would have the binocs.

Now, if there was a binocular mode for the storch, then by all means, i would support that. If bombers are vulnerable while in the bombsite, the same should be for storches while spotting.

Speed has nothing to do with how far you can see and that would be even gamier.  I can see the same distance if I'm traveling 100mph or 200mph, the only difference is how long i have to react or identify something. I can still see it though.

This is random, but why did we even get the storch? Every request i ever saw for a liaison aircraft was for L-Birds.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 07:15:05 PM by flight17 »
119th Riffle Tank Regiment leader -Red Storm Krupp Steel Scenario

Active Member of Air Heritage Inc. http://airheritage.org/

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #200 on: January 25, 2012, 09:14:51 PM »
You suck in airplanes and don't play anymore but yet you keep on posting about their vulnerabilities.  Krusty has all the right to post about GVs as you do about airplanes and his being a paid subscriber makes him qualified to post in any thread he wishes, just like it does with you.

ack-ack

1) I don't suck in aircraft. I wasn't great, but I was decent.

2) I actually flew aircraft more than a couple of times per tour, unlike Krusty and GV's

3) he pretty much hasn't done any serious GV'ing in at least two years. Probably a fair bit more, but I got bored and gave up.

Sorry, but hes not speaking from a position of expierience, and hes being rather obnoxious about what he thinks he knows. Even if he is qualified (I'll admit you're right on that account), his oppinion is less valuable than that of EVERYONE who has done a fair bit of both GV'ing an flying aircraft.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #201 on: January 25, 2012, 09:28:28 PM »
Lanc's have rarely been an issue in Ground battles, I rarely ever see them anywhere near a tank fight unless its tank town.

A20s, P51s and P47s are the biggest buggers, although its generally just some crappy tanker who got killed and wants revenge, that or the typical who takes up a non-perk tank and gets killed by a perk tank because he's to scared to up a perk tank.

Out of 100 Deaths in a tour I may get killed 15-25 times by bombs, and at the end of the tour (which most know I only driver a Panther mostly) I usually come out a few hundred perks ahead, so bombs or not I don't really care.

The whiners are the ones who apparently care, not sure why - perk tank or not if you can't gain perks then you might want to start back at square 1 the training arena.

JG 52

Offline ARSNishi

• Copper Member
« Reply #202 on: January 27, 2012, 06:52:58 AM »
GVers, you can put away your Geiger counters.  Henceforth, let the record show that the radioactive one has ceded the battlefield....  at least on this subject.   :aok

Fighter Ace vet lured to the dark side, a.k.a..  -AoM-  Fear the Mighty Mitsubishi Mounted Muppet!

Nishizwa in game, Nish or Nishi will work too

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #203 on: January 27, 2012, 07:03:26 AM »
No.

Have the tanks have the same alteration in terms of range visibility & or fix the fact that a tank turret can track & shoot down aircraft that are moving at over 100MPH.

I don't think actual B-25 pilots used their birds to take on main battle tanks while flying 20' off the ground.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #204 on: January 27, 2012, 08:16:36 AM »
C'mon Tankace, you don't play at ALL anymore.  Are you really calling out another player who "doesn't play enough" ?

I find your statement ironic on two levels.   First, why you would even desire to comment on a thread entitled  "Why the Icon Range Change for GV's?" since you clearly have no desire to be in or near one nor can even operate one (from what I understand).  You then have bust on tankace for commenting on something he has no knowledge of.  Pot meet kettle....

No offense, it's just ironic....

As a player who participates in all facets of the game, I still support the icon change.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #205 on: January 27, 2012, 09:38:57 AM »
I find your statement ironic on two levels.   First, why you would even desire to comment on a thread entitled  "Why the Icon Range Change for GV's?" since you clearly have no desire to be in or near one nor can even operate one (from what I understand).  You then have bust on tankace for commenting on something he has no knowledge of.  Pot meet kettle....

No offense, it's just ironic....

As a player who participates in all facets of the game, I still support the icon change.

Sir, simply because I am wearied by TankAce's posts.  BTW you are quite correct I have absolutely no idea how to GV, but you are incorrect that this change does not affect me.  I was flying near a base last night and half the enemies were in GV's of various types shooting UP.  Had squaddies taken out by 88's left and right too.  Them thing have got some range.

Also, I read most threads to learn a bit more about this great game.

<S> Meat, no offense taken sir.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #206 on: January 27, 2012, 10:31:23 AM »

Sir, simply because I am wearied by TankAce's posts. 
I get that

BTW you are quite correct I have absolutely no idea how to GV, but you are incorrect that this change does not affect me.  I was flying near a base last night and half the enemies were in GV's of various types shooting UP.  Had squaddies taken out by 88's left and right too.  Them thing have got some range.
You, low over a base????   :O    :D

Also, I read most threads to learn a bit more about this great game.

<S> Meat, no offense taken sir.

Fair enough and  :salute back....  bygones
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #207 on: January 27, 2012, 11:57:42 AM »
GVers, you can put away your Geiger counters.  Henceforth, let the record show that the radioactive one has ceded the battlefield....  at least on this subject.   :aok

Say what? No, I was simply ignoring the insulting fool who had no valid point on the topic at hand and does nothing but throw out false arguments and lies. So I reported his posts for breaking not only the rules of this forum but of common decensy as well.

I hope he gets a time out, personally. He GREATLY needs one.

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
« Reply #208 on: January 27, 2012, 02:12:14 PM »
oh snap!
Remember 08/08/2012
 Youtube videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/raphael103/featured
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #209 on: January 27, 2012, 07:10:51 PM »
You then have bust on tankace for commenting on something he has no knowledge of.  Pot meet kettle....

I'm probably one of the more expierienced GV'ers on the BBS dude. 6 years of AH, 3 or 4 of them in tanks.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"