Author Topic: Why the Icon Range Change for GV's?  (Read 8851 times)

Offline smoe

• Silver Member
Re: Why the Icon Range Change for GV's?
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2012, 11:07:28 AM »
I've always wanted the gv's to be hard to see when stopped and engine off. However, make gv's easy to see when moving. This would simulate the gv crew's ability to throw on some camouflage. I would recommend camouflage mode be either automatic with a > (greater than) 30 second time for it to camouflage itself after stopping. Or make the gv camouflage option manual (not my 1st choice).

I oppose making dive bombing too difficult, those are only onesies and twosies for most planes. I can make out cars looking out a plane at 30,000 ft. I don't believe drab green gv's would be that hard to spot under 5000ft, especially if moving.

I think a lot of gv'rs are bombed by bomber formations flying 200 feet off the ground. I don't know how the low bombers accomplish this feat, but it is a very effect method.

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2012, 11:14:23 AM »
Look at the new view range options, in the arena settings and you can see how much flexibility the new system has. I'm sure that HTC will be watching game play and adjust the settings to ensure a good balance in the MA. Plus this new flexibility could be put to very good use in special events, so I think it will be an excellent addition to the game.
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2012, 11:20:10 AM »
Waits for the "This is Aces high" comment...

I haven't downloaded the beta, but agree that GV'ing needed some help. 

I wonder if it will help our patrols when the 80th does a ground tour in our 38s.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2012, 12:56:20 PM »
HTC doesn't give you anything to bomb...... So that means that its the GV'ers JOB to be targets for you? Sorry but your logic is off.

1) if you've ever played a tank, you know that when aircraft are present, they're the A number 1 threat to you. If you're in a high-perk tank, they're damn near the ONLY threat to you.

2) Icons are about as unrealistic as you can get. Yes, a group of moving GV's kicking up dust wouldn't hard to spot from the air, even when doing 350. But a single GV sitting still back in a stand of trees would never be spotted by a low alt fighter-bomber.

3) go bomb a base or a CV. Its what I use MY Ju-87 for.

It's because aircraft are more effective against vehicles than vehicles are against aircraft.  During the war there were a lot more tanks than planes, in Aces high it is the opposite.  Just look up how lop sided the outcomes have been in favor of the A-10 and AH-64 vs all the tanks and other gvs they've killed.

I'm still confident that with the rule change that I'll be bombing a lot of tanks and wirbs.  So bring it on, I don't mind it if HTC decides to make it an actual challenge.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2012, 01:31:08 PM »
Rondar and Smokingloon,

That kind of communication did not exist, and largely does not exist now.  Marking their positions?  Do that and the enemy can spot you too.  Wirbelwinds and the like were not there to support their airforce, they are there for the protection of the army.  Even if they, which they did not, had radio contact, what are they going to say?  "Bf109, drag that Spitfire over here!" "Ah, Wirbelwind, where is "over here" exactly?"  "Over by the big copse of trees, by the hill with the large oak." "Um, right."

Tank-Ace,

I am not one of the people who would go bomb GV fights unless they are being used to take an airfield.  If I flew to a fight between GV fields it was to provide top cover for our tankers, killing the A-20s and Il-2s that were after them.  The shoe is not on the other foot here, it is on a completely unrelated foot that previously had no part in the discussion.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2012, 02:13:19 PM »
For years I have listen to all the dedicated fly guys tell the GVers to quit whining.  Without any changes even having taken effect, the fly guys whines are classic.    :rofl

I just can wait for the change to happen, I will be entertained on the BBS for months.     :devil

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2012, 02:21:42 PM »
For years I have listen to all the dedicated fly guys tell the GVers to quit whining.  Without any changes even having taken effect, the fly guys whines are classic.    :rofl

I just can wait for the change to happen, I will be entertained on the BBS for months.     :devil

Fred

How are you going to feel when the bombings either don't stop, or increase in frequency?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2012, 02:27:08 PM »
How are you going to feel when the bombings either don't stop, or increase in frequency?

Wiley.

HeHe, they don't stop now, and can't see how they can be more frequent.  When GVing, I would guess at least 7 out of 10 of my GV sorties I am dealing with bombers.  I bet I wouldn't notice the change if it was 10 out of 10.  What I do, is when I get tired of getting egged, I just up a fighter and go kill them.  That is when the whines really start. 

Things have been getting a bit boring lately, these changes should liven it up a bit.    :D

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2012, 02:29:16 PM »

Fred

If the new version comes out with the 600yd range limit on ground vehicles, you can bet a few flying on the deck are going to meet a wirblwind and whine like no tomarrow.

JG 52

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2012, 02:45:33 PM »
Karnak, it did exist. Many planes had 2 radios, one tuned to aircraft channels, one for ground channels. Many tanks (often group commanders or whatever you want to call them) had multiple radios as well to coordinate with foot soldiers as well as air support.

They did not operate in a vacuum. Further, in the real war you knew where the enemy was. If the Soviet tanks were driving East you knew they were retreating. If they were driving West you knew they were advancing. YOu didn't always need a radio, since with basic situational briefings that said "we have friendly tank units here, here, and here, and the enemy are here" you could easily piece together what you saw.

In this random haphazard melee of a game we are not recreating any of that and yet still need such situational understanding.

Any argument saying tanks should have reduced (or no) icon is simply a GV whiner who wants to operate in a vacuum. He doesn't want his spawn camp broken.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2012, 03:04:25 PM »
I wonder if it will help our patrols when the 80th does a ground tour in our 38s.

I thought every sortie that the 80th flies ended in a tour of the ground?   :D

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2012, 04:22:52 PM »
Karnak, it did exist. Many planes had 2 radios, one tuned to aircraft channels, one for ground channels. Many tanks (often group commanders or whatever you want to call them) had multiple radios as well to coordinate with foot soldiers as well as air support.

They did not operate in a vacuum. Further, in the real war you knew where the enemy was. If the Soviet tanks were driving East you knew they were retreating. If they were driving West you knew they were advancing. YOu didn't always need a radio, since with basic situational briefings that said "we have friendly tank units here, here, and here, and the enemy are here" you could easily piece together what you saw.

In this random haphazard melee of a game we are not recreating any of that and yet still need such situational understanding.

Any argument saying tanks should have reduced (or no) icon is simply a GV whiner who wants to operate in a vacuum. He doesn't want his spawn camp broken.
Find me one example of an AA vehicle participating, on the request of, one of the aircraft in the fight.  Just one.  Giving cowards another tool to use will not be good for the game.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2012, 04:29:48 PM »
Find me one example of an AA vehicle participating, on the request of, one of the aircraft in the fight.  Just one. 

I would like to see this, too.

- oldman

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2012, 04:33:27 PM »
I thought every sortie that the 80th flies ended in a tour of the ground?   :D

Darn near...............   :bhead
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2012, 05:34:45 PM »
Find me one example of an AA vehicle participating, on the request of, one of the aircraft in the fight.  Just one.  Giving cowards another tool to use will not be good for the game.

I can give sevaral..one indeed over Yugoslavia in an encounter between Yak3's and P38's (that had in error bombed a Russian column) some thing like  6 Yak 3's launched to attack what they thought were 15 P38's (tuned out to be 45  of them in three separate groups at tiered altiudes). Point being that much of the ensuing fight was conducted within range of Russian medium calibre AA (M1939) which  claimed a 38 and damaged another as well as one of the Yaks.

Many Ost front air battles from The Crucible, thru Kursk to Bagration were conducted over and in semi mobile medium calibre AA. (none of them with Wirble winds which never left Germany for the whole of WWII AFAIK)

Having said all that I would agree that GV icons should also be reduced for freindlies (although this will not stop folk running to them), I would even go so far to suggest that land based gun fire be as lethal against freindlies as it is against enemy, that the Mobelwagon and the Sdkfz 251/17 and or a towed 37mm flak (M1939?) be introduced and Wirbles and Ostwinds be perked.
Ludere Vincere